DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   JuicedLink and the 5D question. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/488319-juicedlink-5d-question.html)

Danny Winn December 1st, 2010 07:28 PM

JuicedLink and the 5D question.

Couldnt find any real answer to this question with the search.

I'm trying to find out if the quality of sound going into the 5D using Magic Lantern and a "JuicedLink" unit is just as good as using a Zoom H4n.

Does anybody using one or both of these have an opinion on this?

Thanks much!

Mike Watson December 1st, 2010 10:51 PM

The sound in the H4n is drastically better than that of the 5DMkII.

Whether the 5D is good enough for you? Only you can decide.

Danny Winn December 1st, 2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Watson (Post 1594072)
The sound in the H4n is drastically better than that of the 5DMkII.

Whether the 5D is good enough for you? Only you can decide.

Hey Mike,

Im not talking about a stock 5D, I'm talking about the 5D with Magic Lantern installed in conjuction with a JuicedLink unit (both of which drastically improve the 5D sound) Have you tried this at all or do you not know what I'm talking about.

Not trying to sound like a smartass there, just wondering if you have phisically tried these together with your 5D.

Thanks much!

Chris Barcellos December 2nd, 2010 12:11 AM

Jon Fairhurst has a full review of these issues here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...-complete.html

Danny Winn December 2nd, 2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1594088)
Jon Fairhurst has a full review of these issues here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...-complete.html

Chris,

This link that you sent me to was the Crown Jewel of everything I was looking for, thanks you sooo much!

Jon Fairhurst December 2nd, 2010 05:42 PM

Hi Danny,

One thing I didn't include in my reviews was a frequency sweep. The 5D2 is weak at low frequencies. It's fine for dialog, but not good for recording full range music. The low-cut is actually good for removing wind sounds, p-pops, and mic handling noises. Those low frequency events can make your dialog clip and be hard to recover, so I'm generally happy with the frequency response.

But if you plan on recording music that includes much bass content, get an external recorder.

Danny Winn December 2nd, 2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1594378)
Hi Danny,

One thing I didn't include in my reviews was a frequency sweep. The 5D2 is weak at low frequencies. It's fine for dialog, but not good for recording full range music. The low-cut is actually good for removing wind sounds, p-pops, and mic handling noises. Those low frequency events can make your dialog clip and be hard to recover, so I'm generally happy with the frequency response.

But if you plan on recording music that includes much bass content, get an external recorder.

Big thanks to you too Jon! Your series is just phenomenal and it was just what I was looking for, true Gods work brother.

I do 99% commercial work so I do believe that the sound quality of your findings for my needs are more than adequate in conjuction with the NTG 3 mic and a JuicedLink.

Thanks for your excellent work!

Jon Fairhurst December 3rd, 2010 12:00 AM

Glad to have helped!

Mitchell Lewis December 10th, 2010 11:28 PM

Thanks Jon for your great review of the 5DM2 audio.

One last question....

Has anyone tried a wireless microphone plugged directly into the 5DM2? Our Sony UWP-V6 wireless has a 1/8" mono output. I'm guessing that it would work well plugged directly into the 5DM2 recording only dialog. I need to do some testing of my own. :)

Mike Watson December 11th, 2010 01:09 PM

I've done it. There is no monitoring solution at all, so it's not for the feint of heart, and I would not do it as an everyday solution.

Mitchell Lewis December 11th, 2010 01:33 PM

Thanks Mike.

Guy Cochran December 14th, 2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis (Post 1597317)
Thanks Jon for your great review of the 5DM2 audio.

One last question....

Has anyone tried a wireless microphone plugged directly into the 5DM2? Our Sony UWP-V6 wireless has a 1/8" mono output. I'm guessing that it would work well plugged directly into the 5DM2 recording only dialog. I need to do some testing of my own. :)

The Sony UWP-V6 wireless receiver is a bit different than other wireless - it does indeed have a headphone out. So you can at least monitor the audio up to that phase. You'll be able to tell if you get a wireless hit and if the audio is nice and clear, or distorted. Once you dial in the levels on the Camera to match the output of the receiver, you can be fairly confident with this set-up. It works for run-n-gun type projects.

Me, I prefer to have a back-up with a portable recorder. As Jon pointed out, the audio recorded in the camera sounds ok, but you simply get more fidelity with double system sound using a high quality recorder - heck even a $99 Zoom H1. This really becomes apparent when you line up the tracks in post and A/B roll the two. The same dialogue recorded in camera sounds ok, it's acceptable, however the recorders will reveal a thicker low end - and with less hiss.

Mitchell Lewis December 14th, 2010 03:09 PM

Thanks Guy. I need to give it a try to see if it will work for some occasions. Much appreciated.