JuicedLink and the 5D question. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 1st, 2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Major Player

JuicedLink and the 5D question.

Couldnt find any real answer to this question with the search.

I'm trying to find out if the quality of sound going into the 5D using Magic Lantern and a "JuicedLink" unit is just as good as using a Zoom H4n.

Does anybody using one or both of these have an opinion on this?

Thanks much!
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 10:51 PM   #2
Trustee

The sound in the H4n is drastically better than that of the 5DMkII.

Whether the 5D is good enough for you? Only you can decide.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 11:35 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
The sound in the H4n is drastically better than that of the 5DMkII.

Whether the 5D is good enough for you? Only you can decide.
Hey Mike,

Im not talking about a stock 5D, I'm talking about the 5D with Magic Lantern installed in conjuction with a JuicedLink unit (both of which drastically improve the 5D sound) Have you tried this at all or do you not know what I'm talking about.

Not trying to sound like a smartass there, just wondering if you have phisically tried these together with your 5D.

Thanks much!
Old December 2nd, 2010, 12:11 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Jon Fairhurst has a full review of these issues here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...-complete.html
Old December 2nd, 2010, 01:57 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Jon Fairhurst has a full review of these issues here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...-complete.html
Chris,

This link that you sent me to was the Crown Jewel of everything I was looking for, thanks you sooo much!
Old December 2nd, 2010, 05:42 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Danny,

One thing I didn't include in my reviews was a frequency sweep. The 5D2 is weak at low frequencies. It's fine for dialog, but not good for recording full range music. The low-cut is actually good for removing wind sounds, p-pops, and mic handling noises. Those low frequency events can make your dialog clip and be hard to recover, so I'm generally happy with the frequency response.

But if you plan on recording music that includes much bass content, get an external recorder.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:34 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Hi Danny,

One thing I didn't include in my reviews was a frequency sweep. The 5D2 is weak at low frequencies. It's fine for dialog, but not good for recording full range music. The low-cut is actually good for removing wind sounds, p-pops, and mic handling noises. Those low frequency events can make your dialog clip and be hard to recover, so I'm generally happy with the frequency response.

But if you plan on recording music that includes much bass content, get an external recorder.
Big thanks to you too Jon! Your series is just phenomenal and it was just what I was looking for, true Gods work brother.

I do 99% commercial work so I do believe that the sound quality of your findings for my needs are more than adequate in conjuction with the NTG 3 mic and a JuicedLink.

Thanks for your excellent work!
Old December 3rd, 2010, 12:00 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Glad to have helped!
Old December 10th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #9
Trustee

Thanks Jon for your great review of the 5DM2 audio.

One last question....

Has anyone tried a wireless microphone plugged directly into the 5DM2? Our Sony UWP-V6 wireless has a 1/8" mono output. I'm guessing that it would work well plugged directly into the 5DM2 recording only dialog. I need to do some testing of my own. :)
Old December 11th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #10
Trustee

I've done it. There is no monitoring solution at all, so it's not for the feint of heart, and I would not do it as an everyday solution.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #11
Trustee

Thanks Mike.
Old December 14th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #12
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
Thanks Jon for your great review of the 5DM2 audio.

One last question....

Has anyone tried a wireless microphone plugged directly into the 5DM2? Our Sony UWP-V6 wireless has a 1/8" mono output. I'm guessing that it would work well plugged directly into the 5DM2 recording only dialog. I need to do some testing of my own. :)
The Sony UWP-V6 wireless receiver is a bit different than other wireless - it does indeed have a headphone out. So you can at least monitor the audio up to that phase. You'll be able to tell if you get a wireless hit and if the audio is nice and clear, or distorted. Once you dial in the levels on the Camera to match the output of the receiver, you can be fairly confident with this set-up. It works for run-n-gun type projects.

Me, I prefer to have a back-up with a portable recorder. As Jon pointed out, the audio recorded in the camera sounds ok, but you simply get more fidelity with double system sound using a high quality recorder - heck even a $99 Zoom H1. This really becomes apparent when you line up the tracks in post and A/B roll the two. The same dialogue recorded in camera sounds ok, it's acceptable, however the recorders will reveal a thicker low end - and with less hiss.
Old December 14th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #13
Trustee

Thanks Guy. I need to give it a try to see if it will work for some occasions. Much appreciated.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD