DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Multi-camera set-up: 5D Mark II and XH A1 - What do I need to know? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/488408-multi-camera-set-up-5d-mark-ii-xh-a1-what-do-i-need-know.html)

Kareem Dimashkie December 3rd, 2010 05:06 PM

Multi-camera set-up: 5D Mark II and XH A1 - What do I need to know?

Hi everyone,

I'm shooting a gig with both the 5D Mark II and the XH A1 next week. Both are shooting different angles of the same performance (in 24p, Full HD).

Is there anything I need to be aware of when shooting on both cameras for that day? Especially in regards to post-production for my editor (and being able to combine the footage in an edit seamlessly).

If there is another thread that asks the same question, pleasure point me to it. Thank you.

Best,
Kareem Dimashkie

Kent Jakusz December 6th, 2010 06:58 AM

I have done the same, combine 5D & Xha1 rushes. On the advise of Ken Stone I converted the 1440 of the XHA1 to 1920 and edited using ProRes 422. Of course the discerning eye could detect the poorer quality of the XHA1. TEST TEST & TEST

Enjoy

Kent

Mestizo Devon December 6th, 2010 01:43 PM

5dmk11 canon xha1s

I think Bill grant had success with this setup and posted his settings for it.

Bill Pryor December 6th, 2010 05:57 PM

I'd use the XH A1 for the closer shots and put the 5D on the wider shots, since it has better resolution.

Jon Fairhurst December 6th, 2010 06:32 PM

It really depends on what you are shooting as to which is best for wide and tight shots.

The downside of the 5D2 for wide shots is aliasing. In general, you'll have more of the scene in focus, and that might include blinds and other items that could alias. The A1 won't give you that problem.

On the other hand, tight shots with the 5D2 will be harder to focus live. If you're filming people who are sitting and talking, it would work. If you're filming gymnasts, it could be tough. The one bummer is that you'd be cutting narrow and shallow DOF, which could highlight the camera mismatch.

In the end, I'd agree with Bill that the 5D2 is better in general for the wide shots. The exception would be if the background has many hard, horizontal lines, and the subjects are still enough to allow you to focus the 5D2.

Kareem Dimashkie December 8th, 2010 11:41 PM

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the feedback. Was researching all your responses throughout the week, and I appreciate all the comments.

I'm recording a classical pianist in a recording studio. Both cameras will be locked down, and we'll just be filming angles as he plays. Pretty simple.

I'm thinking about going wider with the A1, and more close with the Mark II, to avoid many of the issues you all mentioned. We're lighting, and so quality-wise I don't think it will be that discernible for what we are doing. We'll see what happens.

Thanks again,
Kareem

Jon Fairhurst December 9th, 2010 01:12 AM

My main recommendation would be to avoid filming the piano strings in sharp focus on the 5D2. That would almost certainly give aliasing artifacts. I know that guitar strings do...