DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   New Rail and shoulder mount system for DSLRs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/489163-new-rail-shoulder-mount-system-dslrs.html)

Olof Ekbergh December 20th, 2010 01:31 PM

New Rail and shoulder mount system for DSLRs

4 Attachment(s)
This is a prototype, that I have made and will be putting into production.

The 15mm rails are adjustable up and down as well as side to side. The battery on Canon 5DmkII and 7D is accessible even with rails mounted. You can also use it with the dual battery base.

I will also sell just the 15mm rails in 6", 12" and 18" lengths at very good prices. They will be threaded so they can be joined to make longer rails.

I will also be making telescoping handles.

My philosophy on this rig is to make it as light and small as possible, at a good price. And it will be made right here in New England. I have decided that a 5" monitor is the best way to see what you are shooting. The nice thing about this is that the camera ends up in the right place, on your shoulder and the monitor is out front easily seen. This makes the rig really compact.

The camera can be set up on a quick release from the rail system, and the rails are compatible with all tripod quick release plates. The 5DmkII seen here has a VCT-14 wedge.

And the rig can be put down flat on a table or the ground. The shoulder brace slides off easily for compact storage in your runbag.

I will have pricing soon. If you are interested in a pre production unit contact me.

olof@westsideav.com

Brian Luce December 20th, 2010 05:54 PM

That's nice and sturdy looking. Some of the stuff I get off ebay is junk, it looks good in the pics but then you get it, and stuff you thought was metal is cheap plastic. The problem with video production is that often a single cable or fitting you forget can practically sink your day, so some of this junk stuff isn't worth the hassle. You set up looks robust though. Will you have options for those of us who aren't looking for shoulder mount? and What materials? Carbon fiber?

Olof Ekbergh December 21st, 2010 08:27 AM

Brian, The materials are black anodized 6061 T6 tempered aluminum and some Delrin too keep the weight down (like handles and monitor arm). I am still experimenting with material of some of the components.

I may also offer Carbon Fiber rods. Though at the moment aluminum seems like the best solution, because you can thread them and the cost is lower.

The system is modular so there is no need to buy the shoulder brace. I will also offer a larger offset brace for those who like the loop solution on the camera.

Brian Luce December 23rd, 2010 04:18 PM

One thing I'm looking for is a rail system that offers lens support. I'm using old FD telephoto lenses on GH2 bodies and those old FD's don't have tripod threads so it puts a lot of stress on the dinky GH2 body. Some of the suppliers out there don't address that need. And the aftermarket collars aren't that great either because of the push/pull focus/zoom design.

Olof Ekbergh December 24th, 2010 01:13 PM

Brian, you can add any 15mm lens support to my or any standard 15mm rods. I agree that some of them are pretty wimpy, so I will be making a special very adjustable lens support bracket as part of my rod system.

I will also be using a lot of old FD and even FL glass on my AF100. This system will also work with the AF100. I have the "Bicycle Pump" 70-210 f4 FD lens that needs exactly what you are talking about.

I will post photos of all the details soon. And I should be shipping the production version of my system in January.

Paul Cronin December 31st, 2010 09:58 AM

Look good Olof,

Look forward to your pricing and break down of parts since I have some parts I can already use.

Is that the Marshall 5" monitor?

Be nice to use a whip and keep the FF on the handle so you don't have to move your hand.

Olof Ekbergh January 1st, 2011 08:30 AM

Paul, I have been contemplating just that mod.

Yes that is the 5" Marshall it is perfect for this application.

I am thinking about making a follow focus system from scratch that will work on a handle like the left one in the photos above. I also want to incorporate an easily seen scale and preset stops/indents for repeated operations.

I have a few different ideas on this where the left handle is actually a follow focus system. It will either contain a "drive shaft" like the one in a whip or a solid one, or a very small internal belt.

I will let you know as soon as I have a working model.

Some of the rail system parts are being manufactured right now in Boston (at Boston Centerless Grinding Inc., and my local CNC shop) to my specs.

The pricing on the extendable (1/2"-13 internally threaded ends) 15mm rods will be:
$43.00 per 6” pair
$59.00 per 12” pair
$79.00 per 18” pair

I will be shipping those in the middle of January.

I will have pricing on more individual parts soon.

PS, I now have a sectional dolly track system (current version is from 6'-18' long) with programable servos from Servo City (thanks for the link), great for time-lapse or remote control.

Paul Cronin January 1st, 2011 10:37 AM

Sounds good Olof,

I would be very interested in the system. As I said I have a few parts already that would be nice to use, so once you are done we should talk. Maybe that can be when I take my trip North.

I have been looking into the Marshall 5" and might just add that to the kit. I have their 7" SDI for my 500 and EX1 which I really like.

Glad Servo City link helped. They have some very nice gear.

My dolly is going South for a string of jobs this winter. Currently it is 4' -20' option. Do you have info on your site for the dolly?

Olof Ekbergh January 1st, 2011 12:21 PM

Paul, I will have info, pricing, photos and video of the dolly system and the DSLR rail system as well, on my site in the next couple weeks.

My dolly will work on ladders or any round or rectangular track. I am making my track out of Square aluminum. And the servo motor system is universal as well. It should fit on any dolly (with a small mod, drilling and tapping holes), the servo will also do pans and tilts using servo motors all programable (possible even focus).

I am also adding curved track sections and a slightly modified curved track dolly (it will of course work on straight track as well.

One cool thing about this system is you can also suspend your camera below the track for unique "Gods eye" dolly moves.

A snowless winter like this is productive in the gear department.

Paul Cronin January 2nd, 2011 08:50 AM

All sounds interesting I look forward to your new information.