5D best settings and best for Premiere CS5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 9th, 2011, 07:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

5D best settings and best for Premiere CS5

What are the best settings for Canon 5DmkII about contrast and so? Some recommend lower contrast?

And what do i have to change in Adobe Premiere CS5 get it right again?

Any god plugin i shal look for?
Old February 9th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #2
Inner Circle

By reducing contrast and sharpness, you can capture more range and keep the image smooth. You can simply jack the contrast back up in Premiere as needed.

That said, here is my preferred workflow (when quality is more important than quickness.)

1) I do a rough edit to figure out what clips and will - and won't use. (I actually use Vegas for this.)
a) I do this after converting to Cineform. (A must-have codec.)
b) I have three Cineform folders - original, graded, and active.
c) Put the converted footage in the original and active folders. Edit from the active folder.
2) For a given scene or sequence with a similar look, import those clips (MOVs from the camera) to After Effects.
3) Apply the Neat Video plugin. (God plugin #1.)
4) Apply Colorista II. (God plugin #2) Grade the image to taste and match the look of the various clips.
5) Render each clip to the "graded" folder using the Cineform codec. Copy these to the "active" folder.
6) Resume editing. You are now working with beautifully graded, low-noise video.
7) If you need to adjust the grading, go back to your AE grading projects, readjust, and go back to step 5.

Enjoy!
Old February 14th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Jon

Have you contrasted this workflow to native editing the 5dM2 files in Premiere CS5?
Andy Batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

you guys should be investigating this workflow...

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform...-cineform.html

it will create much better results than naive CS5 will... Plus the styles setup is a must...

The output render from AE is going to give you a better file for color grading and the noise gets fixed.
Ray Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD