DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   5D Battery Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/491646-5d-battery-question.html)

Danny Winn February 12th, 2011 12:00 PM

5D Battery Question

So I'm really close now to being able to purchase a 5D, my question is, will the battery that comes with the camera be enough to handle shooting video exclusively, or do you all recommend a particular extra battery for longer shoots? Also, is there a power adapter available for the 5D so I can just plug into the wall if I'm on an indor set?

I did use the "Search" first but was unable to find the answers I needed.

Thanks for all your help,

Dave Partington February 12th, 2011 12:59 PM

Yes, the Canon battery will shoot video exclusively if that's what you do (it's what we do). Experience tells me to swap battery each time I swap out a full 32GB card (approx 96 mins of shooting). If you need longer, buy more batteries. I think we are up to 13 or 14 batteries now, only 3 of which are genuine Canon.

Danny Winn February 12th, 2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Partington (Post 1617508)
Yes, the Canon battery will shoot video exclusively if that's what you do (it's what we do). Experience tells me to swap battery each time I swap out a full 32GB card (approx 96 mins of shooting). If you need longer, buy more batteries. I think we are up to 13 or 14 batteries now, only 3 of which are genuine Canon.

Thanks so much Dave!

What about a power adapter that plugs into a wall so you dont need any battery for long indoor shoots? Does anything like that exist for the 5D?

Mike Watson February 12th, 2011 01:55 PM

In my life, I have had enough trouble with AC power and audio hum that, when possible, I avoid it. In a camera where I can't monitor the audio that the camera is actually recording, that is even more true.

In the old days, a NP-1 battery would get you 20 minutes of time. These days, one of those tiny little Canon batteries will last you for an hour or more, and it's easy to charge and carry a dozen of them.

Furthermore, the 5D is complicated enough to shoot video on. I don't need one more battery door that won't shot and another cable coming from the camera.

Morton Molyneux February 12th, 2011 07:58 PM

Danny,

If you feel you need more battery power you can also add Canon's BG-E6 battery grip. It lets you run two batteries at once or run the camera on 6 AA batteries. There is also a less expensive Chinese one available.

I have one but only use it when I'm using the camera for long time laps sequences because it does make the camera more bulky.

As Mike says it's easy to carry several Canon batteries around and they are quick to change.

Mike, Don't you miss the days of running around with NP-1's jammed in your back pockets?

cheers

Morton

Chris Barcellos February 12th, 2011 10:33 PM

there is a power adapter, and I have used it. Canon labels it the AC-E6 power adapter They label the actual dummy battery that goes in the battery bay DC Coupler DR-E6. Some people are adapting that coupler to other power sources too.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...tt=Canon+AC+E6

By the way, no hummm.

However, you may find it as simple and cheaper to buy batteries that are not Canon OEM. They are now available with chips that make them operate the same as Canon originals- for around $15 on ebay. Be sure to get the ones that say they act exactly like original batteries. Others are sold for even cheaper, and will work, but when you start camera with one, you have to accept it use in a query, and once running, camera will not give you a battery condition information.

Danny Winn February 12th, 2011 11:49 PM

Very cool and informative!

Thanks for the info everybody!

Mike Watson February 14th, 2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morton Molyneux (Post 1617629)
Mike, Don't you miss the days of running around with NP-1's jammed in your back pockets?

I don't miss NP-1's and I ESPECIALLY don't miss Anton Bauer bricks! Labeled "the brick" because they were the size, weight, and held approximately the same charge as a masonry brick. Ugh.

Danny, LA Color Shop is a sponsor of these forums and sells the "chipped" Canon batteries. They are more expensive than the ebay variety, but it does come with a name behind it and some support. Consider using them.

Chris Barcellos February 14th, 2011 02:28 PM

"because they were the size, weight, and held approximately the same charge as a masonry brick."

To be my funny quote of the week.....

Peer Landa February 17th, 2011 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Partington (Post 1617508)

In addition to extra batteries, I'd also recommend getting an extended battery-grip that holds two batteries. There are aftermarket grips that aren't too expensive and work as well as Canon's own -- I got a BG-E6 grip + 2 batteries on eBay for just $80 (incl. ship).

http://www.prophotographygear.com/im...Gripc5d_4.jpeg

-- peer

Taky Cheung February 20th, 2011 11:46 AM

I have heard of mixing a info-chipped battery (either canon brand or other decoded battery) with one without info-chip will work with the battery grib. I never tried.

Canon brand LP-E6 is just way too expensive, more like a rip off. We do have the fully decoded battery that runs just like the canon battery.

LP-E6 Fully Decoded Battery for Canon 5D, 7D, 60D | L.A. Color Online

Yeah there're a lot of cheaper ones out in eBay. But there're plenty horrible stories about extra cheap generic batteries.

Bill Hamell February 21st, 2011 06:13 AM

Re: 5D Battery Question

Here is a good deal on batteries on Amazon I have at least eight of these and rotate them with four charging four in the field. I will be getting more if I get a battery powered monitor.

No problems so far and they last and work just like the Canon batteries.

Taky Cheung February 21st, 2011 11:41 AM

Those are the generic batteries without the info-chip. It won't report remaining battery level on LCD screen on 5D Mark II. Also can't use the canon charger too. Is that right?

Bill Hamell February 21st, 2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taky Cheung (Post 1620457)
Those are the generic batteries without the info-chip. It won't report remaining battery level on LCD screen on 5D Mark II. Also can't use the canon charger too. Is that right?

That is totally WRONG! The battery level indicator works and they can be charged with the Canon charger.

Taky Cheung February 21st, 2011 12:06 PM

That's cool. There're some comments on the product page too. Are you using it with 5D Mark II ?