5D Mk 3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:45 PM   #1
Major Player

5D Mk 3?

Ok, so I'm two days away from dropping around $5000 for the 5D mk2 and all the accesories but I'm worried that a month after I purchase it Canon will come out with the new Mark 3 that is sure to be released some day (most likely with better audio options and possibly 60P capabilities)

So does anyone here have any insite or inside info on a potential release date for the Mk3 so that I don't shoot myself in the foot?

Yeah, Im a little paranoid. Just don't wanna be left behind yet again right when I think I'm in with the big boys. Haha

Thanks.
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

re: 5D Mk 3?

I am a 5D II owner. I love the camera. I am a T2i owner. I love the camera.

I am going to be controversial here, but I think the best camera currently available for film production is the T2i. I say this primarily because of the current available innovations provided for the T2i through Magic Lantern. Because of Magic Lantern, it can do virtually everything the 5D II can, plus shoot 60p, plus the Magic Lantern version currently available for the T2i has exposure and focus aids that are not available on the 5D. Now the upcoming T3i may be easily adaptable to Magic Lantern, and it may not. But if I was getting ready to get into the DSLR market today, I would go T2i route. ( Note: the 5D will do much better in low light.) Now if you are talking needing extremely shallow depth of field, easier access to extra wider lenses, and/or that better low light capability, I can see you rightfully opting for the 5D, but otherwise, give some thought to the T2i. It won't blow your wad now, and it will get you shooting DSLR while things continue cooking in this entire big chip game.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:38 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey Chris thanks,

Yeah low light and extreme DOF are two of my biggest factors. I am dead set on the 5D, I'm just worried about the release of the Mark 3 shortly after I purchase. Doh!
Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:39 PM   #4
Trustee

That's pretty sound advice from where I'm sitting - I'm not buying anymore gear until I see exactly what Canon does. We're all hoping for something out of the box great/new.

What are the odds of that happening? Frankly, I don't see them as great - the Mark II as video camera for movies was essentially an accident on Canon's part. And Canon, in general terms, isn't considered by most to be a cutting edge leading in new tech.

But the Mark II was something different - it gave Canon a whole new street cred and opened a whole new group of people to the form factor of DLSRs (including myself). They have a real opportunity to set the pace for the next 3 years if they do it "right."

For me, it's worth the wait. I would certainly get a T2 regardless - wonderful little camera, one I'm you'll use as B-cam if for nothing else.
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:39 PM   #5
Trustee

My gut feel says 5DMkII replacement (often termed the 5DMkIII) will come in fall of '11. My gut forecasts about a 5% chance that a 5DMkIII will appear earlier, at NAB in April. My gut would not be surprised at all if the calendar pages blow into 2012 and we have not seen nor heard of a replacement for the MkII yet.

My gut would like to give you this advice:

If substantial rumors surface tomorrow that Canon will announce the MkIII in 30 days, it'll be a month away. If there are no delays, they will announce at the end of March that they will ship in April or May. If there are no delays, you might order one and it might show up in May or June. You will then be one of the first people on the planet to have no experience with DSLRs and video to start shooting video with a camera for which there is basically no support and you are breaking new ground - while trying to serve a client - and you will finally get pretty good at it around June or July. So, even if new rumors surfaced TOMORROW, you would be better off with the MkII for now, because you can have one o'nighted to you and have it Thursday, rather than fumble around until sumer. And if rumors don't surface tomorrow... you could still be waiting into 2012 for a camera that may never ship.

Buy for the now.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:46 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
My gut feel says 5DMkII replacement (often termed the 5DMkIII) will come in fall of '11. My gut forecasts about a 5% chance that a 5DMkIII will appear earlier, at NAB in April. My gut would not be surprised at all if the calendar pages blow into 2012 and we have not seen nor heard of a replacement for the MkII yet.

My gut would like to give you this advice:

If substantial rumors surface tomorrow that Canon will announce the MkIII in 30 days, it'll be a month away. If there are no delays, they will announce at the end of March that they will ship in April or May. If there are no delays, you might order one and it might show up in May or June. You will then be one of the first people on the planet to have no experience with DSLRs and video to start shooting video with a camera for which there is basically no support and you are breaking new ground - while trying to serve a client - and you will finally get pretty good at it around June or July. So, even if new rumors surfaced TOMORROW, you would be better off with the MkII for now, because you can have one o'nighted to you and have it Thursday, rather than fumble around until sumer. And if rumors don't surface tomorrow... you could still be waiting into 2012 for a camera that may never ship.

Buy for the now.
Now that's the sound advice that I really needed to hear Mike and I thank you. Guess I'll stop with all the worrying and order the thing then start creating!

Cheers!
Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:55 PM   #7
Trustee

Im on the same boat as im looking for a 2nd DSLR to my 7D. My DP friend has a 5D so i borrowed it and tested it side x side.

Now as for video on the canon dslrs, the 7D is my workworse as it allows me to monitor via HDMI and it wont downrez during record. This is crucial for focus though if you use a finder it wont matter.

The tech side,

the sensor on the 5D is still better than the apsc ones, (7D,550D,60D)
On my chart tests i compared the 7D(same sensor performance and size as 550,60) with the 5D,
using same 50mm f1.2 lens on both;

the 5D displays much less color aliasing than the 7D, moire is about the same.

low light hi iso at 3200 the 5D performs better, not by much tho.

and of course the obviouse advantage of full frame gives you great wides,

I can use the tokina 11-16mm on the 5d even if the lens is for crop sensor.

at 14.5 mm on the 5D, the image is much wider even if i use it at 11mm on the 7D.

so my resolve is this, I wont go for 4/3rds or another apsc sensor for now and wait a lil bit for canon to upgrade, theyve already ugraded the low end models, they should be logicaly upgrading the mid and higher ones soon.

otherwise, I'd rent, borrow, or ..what the heck, get a 5D mkii.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:13 AM   #8
Trustee

Re: 5D Mk 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Winn View Post
Now that's the sound advice that I really needed to hear Mike and I thank you. Guess I'll stop with all the worrying and order the thing then start creating!
Cheers!
If they announce a new 5D about three minutes after you buy yours, I will be editing my post to say "whatever you do, don't buy now" and I'd appreciate it if you'd edit your post where you quoted me to reflect the same.

Regards,

Mike
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:06 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
If they announce a new 5D about three minutes after you buy yours, I will be editing my post to say "whatever you do, don't buy now" and I'd appreciate it if you'd edit your post where you quoted me to reflect the same.

Regards,

Mike
Haha. Well... Unfortunately you're the fall guy now buddy;)

Cheers!
Old February 23rd, 2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Major Player

I bought a 60D to use as a second body with my 5DMkII, smaller sensor but it is a pleaasure to use, especially with the twist out LCD.
If you "need" something immediately you might consider the 60D - and wait for whatever the next great thing is. I love using the 5D mkII but it is going to be superseded soon.
You've waited this long - - - - borrow, rent or at least buy used if you need something this minute
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 10:01 AM   #11
Major Player

Also, remember the prices are inflated for the first 4-6 months.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 10:01 AM   #12
Regular Crew

If you can wait, I'd at least wait and see what is going to be released at NAB... April 9-14

There could be some very nice camera's coming out in that show.

If you can't wait... go for it.. :-)
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 10:51 AM   #13
Inner Circle

My guess is that we won't see a 5D3 until November or later. The 5D2 has been a big hit. Regarding video, Canon is still king of the hill. They have a lot of cams now with Gen 1 video features in various flavors. The day they release a camera with Gen 2 video features, Canon risks making their many other video-capable models a bit less compelling. If I were Canon, I'd stay pat for now.

That said, NAB may very well bring some new, unexpected toys. April isn't far away.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the 5D3 stays hidden until 2012. Looking at product cycles, a new 1Ds should have been here long ago but keeps being pushed back. Maybe the new 1Ds will be the first camera with the next generation video features...

Still, I understand that it's nicer to buy a camera at the start of its lifecycle than near its end.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 03:06 PM   #14
New Boot

I'm in agreement with Jon F. take a look at Canon product cycle. Odds are they will replace the 1Ds series prior to releasing a new 5D. They wouldn't want to undercut there 8,000 full frame camera with a 2,500-3,000 full frame option. So we should see a refresh in the 1Ds series long before the 5D.

Just my thoughts- but who knows, maybe they are distinguish the features enough to release them sooner.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:15 PM   #15
Trustee

Right, but... whoda thunk that they'd release 4 different Rebels in an 18 month cycle? Strange things from big companies sometime.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD