Remote Rec on/off for 5D? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 24th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Remote Rec on/off for 5D?

Does anybody know of a remote (either wireless or with wire) that will turn the record on & off for video recording with the 5D up to at least 8 to 10 feet?

I did search the forum for this but I only found one thread where somebody jerry rigged a remote to do this.

Thanks!
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Remote Rec on/off for 5D?

Good timing. I just came across this today and made a mental note. The fact that it has an LCD is killer.

Linkdelight.com: Great buys on Photography Equipment, Outdoor Equipment, Toys and More
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #3
Major Player

I did a little more research and it apparently does not control video recording according to users but it appears a video version is just around the corner. You can however use a remote like this with it. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/r...te-Review.aspx

Last edited by Jonathan Bufkin; February 24th, 2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: More info
Jonathan Bufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bufkin View Post
I did a little more research and it apparently does not control video recording according to users but it appears a video version is just around the corner. You can however use a remote like this with it. Canon RC-6 Wireless Remote Control Review
Hey Jonathan,

That one also appears to just shoot photos as well, no mention of video on/off:(
Old February 24th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Winn View Post
Hey Jonathan,

That one also appears to just shoot photos as well, no mention of video on/off:(
It says in the description the following:

"Point the Canon RC-6 Wireless Remote toward the front of the camera (line of sight only) within 16' (5m) and take the shot when you are ready. Or use it to start a video. "

Did you read that somewhere else?
Old February 24th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bufkin View Post
It says in the description the following:

"Point the Canon RC-6 Wireless Remote toward the front of the camera (line of sight only) within 16' (5m) and take the shot when you are ready. Or use it to start a video. "

Did you read that somewhere else?
Hey Jonathan thanks,

Yeah I did see where it said "Or use it to start a video", but it doesnt read start and stop video recording. I'm not saying it can't, I'm just not seeing it clearly written anywhere online including B&HPhoto.

I sure hope it does but it would sure be nice if somebody on here had one and could tell us one way or another because the description of the RC-6 is as clear as mud. Doh

Thanks again;)
Old February 25th, 2011, 01:46 AM   #7
Trustee

All of the Canon Remotes including the inexpensive RC-1 will start and stop the recording mode on the 5d. You first need to press the AF/Drive button on top of the camera and set the camera into one of the "timer remote control" modes. Then the trigger button on the remote will take a picture (if you're in still mode) or trigger the recording START then STOP if you're in movie mode.

The remote needs to be pointed at the front of the camera to trigger, but if you set up a simple inspection mirror you can easily "bounce" the RC into the front sensor from another angle.
Old February 25th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I will also confirm Bill's statement. It works, when camera is set properly.
Old February 25th, 2011, 02:32 AM   #9
Trustee

If you are in the right direction with not too much light contamination, yes you can start / stop the video recording on the 5D2 with the RC1 remote. I've done it, so I can say it works.

I've also built a device that emulates the RC1 but automatically stops and restarts the 5D2 after 11m30s so it can record until it fills the card with only a 1 second gap every 11m30s. I could program the time to be anything.
Old February 25th, 2011, 07:37 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Dave - did you use the Arduino to do that and if so where and what Infrared LED did you buy? I have tried a couple from Maplin, however they did not work and I cannot find a specification for an Arduino compatable LED anywhere. Regards Jeff
Jeff Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
All of the Canon Remotes including the inexpensive RC-1 will start and stop the recording mode on the 5d. You first need to press the AF/Drive button on top of the camera and set the camera into one of the "timer remote control" modes. Then the trigger button on the remote will take a picture (if you're in still mode) or trigger the recording START then STOP if you're in movie mode.

The remote needs to be pointed at the front of the camera to trigger, but if you set up a simple inspection mirror you can easily "bounce" the RC into the front sensor from another angle.
Thanks so much Dave, Chris and Bill!

So Jonathan was talking about the RC-6, but you guys are talking about the RC-1. I wonder why the RC-1 is not located on the B&H website. I did watch a video review of the RC-1 on youtube last night and in one of his written comments below the video he said it wouldn't work with the 5D only the 7D and a few others. Here's that video: YouTube - Remote control focusing and recording on your DSLR - DSLR FILM NOOB

But I know you guys know what you're talking about so maybe he was just doing something wrong.

Looks like I'm ordering the RC-1!

Cheers!
Old February 25th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #12
Trustee

The web and YouTube are both wonderful things. BUT - since there's ABSOLUTELY NO VETTING of the information presented there - it's always going to be impossible to judge the accuracy and/or completeness of any information you gain exclusively from the web unless you're able to judge the accuracy and completeness of the person or company who's posting stuff there.

I imagine that someone simply pointed the RC at the camera and clicked the button and when the camera didn't start recording - ASSUMED that the RC didn't operate the camera in video mode. If they had referred to the manual for the process and SET THE CONTROLS properly - they would have easily discovered that the camera had that capability all along.

I know that the RC-1 works as a trigger for 5dMkii video because I own both and have used that combination to do this personally.

Others have spoken from experience about factors that effect the efficiency and convenience of the process - and nobody's guaranteeing that it will ALWAYS work in exactly the way you hope it will - but the basic capability is beyond dispute.

And RC-1 (and likely the RC-6, tho I have no personal experience with it) WILL start and stop video recording on a 5dMkii.

Simple as that.
Old February 25th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Murray View Post
Dave - did you use the Arduino to do that and if so where and what Infrared LED did you buy? I have tried a couple from Maplin, however they did not work and I cannot find a specification for an Arduino compatable LED anywhere. Regards Jeff
I used a PIC and a couple of random Infra-Red LEDs (one normal, one high power) from Maplins with 180ohm resisters between the PIC output and the LED. Nothing fancy. Both LEDs work interchangeably.

Are you generating a good clean well timed signal? How are you testing it? I used a logic analyser to get the timing perfect before testing it on the camera and it worked first time.
Old March 27th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #14
Tourist

Hello All,

Something for you guys wanting to start and stop your Canon cameras recording. You also have extensive time-lapse control as well using the same cameras. My name is Paul Cormack and the Pclix XT is a product of my own design. I have worked in TV and film for 30 years and have always wanted to design, produce and sell products of my own creation. I have thousands of clients the world over already using my products. In the last few weeks I have just released a major firmware upgrade which adds loads of things.

Canon DSLR Video recording (including the ability to set the length of the clip and also the interval between clips). This works amazingly well to stop your camera recording just before the 12 minute cutoff and then re-start it again. (You can set the length of the clip to anything between 1 second and 1 hour, the interval can be 1 second to 100 hours) In my testing I have found that a 1 second delay between clips works about 90% of the time. For this reason I do not recommend a 1 second delay. With a 2 second delay between clips every start trigger is acted upon. Actually, in the Pclix XT manual I go with 3 seconds as added safety measure.

With my device you can also trigger your camera up to 200 feet away using standard BNC video cable which is available on just about every set the world over.

The Pclix XT can also be used to trigger dozens and dozens of different video cameras to either take a still or stat and stop recording. Support for all supported infrared remotes in built-in.

Please have a look at my website Welcome to Pclix. The affordable, portable, camera triggering solution. to see what I have up my sleeve. There is a YouTube link on the Canon Control page to show how it is done. Also, if you have further questions please email or call anytime. Contact links and numbers can be found on the website.

www.pclix.com
Paul Cormack is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD