Canon 5D and Lilliput Brightness - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 24th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Canon 5D and Lilliput Brightness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Phelan View Post
All a bit reminiscent of my days shooting Polaroids and then not really wanting to show them to the client or art director on the set because .... "yes but don't worry, it'll look better than that on the trannie."
Love it!
You had that problem, too, Peter?

Those were the "good old days" (Ha-ha)!
Old November 24th, 2011, 03:01 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Re: Canon 5D and Lilliput Brightness

Hi Andy,
Yes and pertaining to the earlier post about "what you see is what you get" - using the Canon screens on say the 60D and 5D2 for example - you don't actually. You merely get a "rough idea" of things; and when when it comes to colour balance, it can be hopelessly out. It's going a bit off topic, and maybe should have a separate thread? ... but I shoot a lot inside factory environments, where there is flourescent lighting, often in combination with some daylight coming through windows.

In the past, as a photographer shooting transparencies, I used a Minolta 3 colour temp meter to assess ambient lighting and the amount of correction gels to be applied to correct for this and added to my supplementary lighting.

I was on the point of buying another meter, but as they are expensive, wondered how good the modern field monitors are at displaying colour temperature and bias correctly?

Shooting recently on Canon DSLR's without any correction or supplementary lighting, (relying upon the ability to increase the ISO setting) the scene looked fine on the camera monitors. However, upon later editing, all footage displayed the usual green colour cast.

I could correct this in post, because the scene contained only the ambient light. However, I would ideally have liked to add supplemental lighting to these scenes, but was afraid to do so, for risk of adding the wrong amount of green gel correction to my lights.

The Canon screens are clearly not able to show the green cast, but are decent field monitors able to do this? Or do I still need to buy my colour meter?

Peter

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD