Dead Pixel on Canon 5DMII at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 26th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Dead Pixel on Canon 5DMII

I filmed a classical concert this afternoon and in looking through the footage I noticed a red/pink spot on the upper part of the screen. It must be a dead pixel. The camera is about 9 months old and I am guessing that I can send it to Canon for service. I am sure that I am not the first person to have to do this. What is the typical turnaround for this kind of service? I am spoiled and have Canon Professional Services for the equipment at my office, but I don't own enough Canon gear to qualify for my personal gear.

Does anyone know who I should contact regarding the repair?

Thanks,

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Dead Pixel on Canon 5DMII

Put the lens cap on, set it to manual sensor cleaning and let it run for two minutes. The camera will hang and you will need to turn it off to get it back up. Otherwise I just use cc wireremoval to get rid of the bad pixel.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #3
Major Player

Greg,

Thanks for the tip. I sent the camera off to Canon this morning. It is under warranty.

I will update as soon as I get it back.

Thanks!

Daniel
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:03 AM   #4
Major Player

Camera came back repaired under warranty in less than 5 days. It helps that the Canon Service Center is only about 3 hours away.

Camera works fine now.

Daniel Weber
Old April 4th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Greg, that trick has worked for some, but not all. It didn't work for me. My solution was to sell the camera on eBay, noting that there is a pixel problem with video. I think it costs hundreds of dollars to fix out of warranty.The strange thing is that the sensor works fine for photos, it only shows up with video and only when over 1600 ISO.
Jim Greene is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD