full frame fast wide zoom off brand lens options at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 9th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #1
Wrangler

full frame fast wide zoom off brand lens options

Does anyone know much about the aftermarket for fast wide zooms? Something in the 16-50mm f2.8 range. There's lots of Sigma/Tamron/Tokina lenses like that but I can't figure out which are APS-C and which are full frame. If anyone can suggest some of the best bang for the buck options, I'd appreciate it. Don't want to spend the $$$$ on the 16-35L.

Thanks!
Old May 11th, 2011, 04:20 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: full frame fast wide zoom off brand lens options

For Sigma, you need to look for lenses that are marked "DG" for full-frame or "DC" for crop sensor. You should only consider their "EX" lenses as these are their "superior" lenses.

For Tamoron, you need "Di" for full frame or "Di-II" for crop sensor. Look for lenses marked "SP" (superior performance).

For Tokina, "DX" signifies it's designed for crop sensors and "ATX-PRO" is the clue that it's a better performing lens.
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #3
Major Player

Is a zoom absolutely necessary? I just replaced my 17-40L with a $350 Samyang 14mm f2.8 off ebay and not only is it sharper than the 17-40, but its a stop faster and significantly wider. I found that I usually shot at 17mm most of the time since I have 24mm on covered by other lenses. If its for stills, there's plenty of resolution to crop in post. But for ultrawide, non fisheye shots, the 14mm can't be beat.
Chris Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'd definitely go with Sigma.

Their 24-70mm f/2.8 is a great lens. My friend owns one, and I just used it on a music video I shot.

A little off topic, but their primes are also great. I own the Sigma 20mm f/1.8, which is an incredible wide for low light shooting and lets you get some great shots. We used that on the music video as well and got some really dynamic shots on it.

(Can be soft at 1.8 but only when your subject is far in the background. It's a lens that takes some practice to get the best out of. When I'm filming on this lens at night, I stage my subject close to the camera.)

The 24-70mm f/2.8 is nice and sharp though. If you're using it on a 5D Mark II you'll get some great results.

Finding a non-cropped sensor 16-50mm is going to be difficult on a budget. Those types of lenses are made mainly for cropped sensor cameras so that they can emulate the 24-70mm range with the crop factor.
Torrey Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Trustee

I use the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 at 15mm on my 5D, its still much wider than at 11mm on my 7D.

Its cheap, its sharp.
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #6
Contributor

Always buy from a dealer like B&H or Adorama where you can return a lens if you get a bad one. I bought a Signa f2.8 24-70 a couple of years ago and it was soft at 2.8 when zoomed back to 24mm. Sent it back with no problem. Then I got a Tokina 16-50 f2.8 that was perfectly sharp at the wide end but soft at 50mm. It wasn't a problem since I bought it for the wide angle. Point is, the third party lenses can vary by individual lens. The good dealers will accept a return with no problem. Now I use all old Nikkor and Zeiss ZE primes, except for a Canon 70-200 L which is good and sharp for a zoom.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 12:22 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey Meeks View Post
I'd definitely go with Sigma.

Their 24-70mm f/2.8 is a great lens. My friend owns one, and I just used it on a music video I shot.

A little off topic, but their primes are also great. I own the Sigma 20mm f/1.8, which is an incredible wide for low light shooting and lets you get some great shots. We used that on the music video as well and got some really dynamic shots on it.
I shoot probably 80% of my 5d video with the Sigma 24-70, I love it. Such a bargain as compared to the Canon 28-75.

Surprisingly (I seldom hear anyone mention it), the 20mm/1.8 is my 2nd favorite lens. Love it.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD