Canon G12: manual exposure in video mode? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 17th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon G12: manual exposure in video mode?

(Didn't know where to post this, so here it is.)

Starting to really like my G12.

In video mode it allows exposure lock but I haven't found a manual exposure adjustment. Is it because there isn't one, or I just haven't figured it out?
Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Canon G12: manual exposure in video mode?

On my S95 (which is basically the same camera) there is no way to manually control exposure.

My workaround is to point it at something in auto mode to get the exposure close to where I want it and then use the exposure lock to fine tune it.
Old May 25th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Contributor

Re: Canon G12: manual exposure in video mode?

It's there but awkward. You have to go into the menu and find it. I don't have the G12 with me and can't tell you how to do it exactly. However, it is limited. If you're using the manual iris in video mode, the range of adjustment is not enough for outdoor use in bright light. It goes up or down by about 3 stops, and in sunlight you'll be overexposed. You have to go to auto, which sucks. I bought the camera because it has a built-in ND filter, but they don't let you use it in video mode. I think the ISO stays on auto as well but don't recall for sure. Basically, video is an afterthought on the camera--put it on auto and shoot and hope the auto stuff doesn't screw up your shot.

I had an S95 which I gave to my daughter because I thought the G12 would give me better control, and for stills it does. It's a great little compact still camera for when you don't want to carry your bigger gear. However, last night I gave it to my daughter to trade back for the S95 back. It fits in a pocket and the G12 doesn't. I prefer a camera I can just stick in my pocket to have with me for when things happen I'm not expecting. Like yesterday's storm clouds. If the G12 let me use the ND for video and full manual control, I'd keep it. It's a great compact camera for a still photographer's second camera but not for video. Having said that, under the right conditions you can shoot some good looking video with it, just don't expect serious manual control. Better to get something like a T2i.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD