hoodman loupe 3.0/mag/etc. for 5D and glasses - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 28th, 2011, 04:27 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: hoodman loupe 3.0/mag/etc. for 5D and glasses

The lack of realtime exposure and focus assists while recording is definite minus on the 5DM2 and I wrote that as a disadvantage when I registered my camera with Canon....hence all the firmware hacking

@Josh: What firmware are you using to get that Histogram? How's the stability?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 04:32 AM   #17
Slash Rules!

Maybe not the very latest. . .but 2.04 or 2.07 or something like that. No camera in front of me. Should be able to tell you later today. Stability's just fine.

It's definitely there though. . .just keep hitting the "info" button while in live view.

Yeah. . .without it, you cannot judge exposure, in my opinion. I might also tinker with the EVF setttings and see if I can get the color more accurate.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 04:54 AM   #18
Inner Circle

I'm on 2.0.8. Yes, the Histogram shows during Live View but to Bill's point, as soon as you press record, that and the 5x/10x zoom goes away. The only way I've found to get realtime assist during recording is something like Magic Lantern or an external monitor that does false colors, waveforms, or peaking in the monitor.

From what I've read, the 5DM2 has some HDMI issues such as not using the full screen there as well. SmallDP has done some work to overcome that in some of their monitors.
Old May 28th, 2011, 05:07 AM   #19
Slash Rules!

Ah. Ok, that is true then. I guess I was thinking of situations where you'd adjust between rolls instead of during a roll. Same with focus.
Old May 28th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #20
Inner Circle

For me a loupe is an absolute necessity when on a handheld rig. Even with reading glasses, I can't see anything three inches from my face. The loupe makes it possible to set focus points, read menus and frame in comfort.

I have a 7" Marshall monitor, which is great when using a tripod, slider, or jib. I won't put it on my handheld rig though. I'd need a stronger back to carry it and a giant loupe to view it!

For me, the rule is that a handheld shall always have a loupe and larger grip setups shall never have a loupe. It's all about the distance to the eye. :)
Old June 1st, 2011, 07:37 AM   #21
Major Player

I have the Hoodman which I don't like and the original Z-Finder which I do. I bought an upgrade kit for the Hoodman and it did absolutely nothing. What a rip off.

I use the Loupe either hand held or on a shoulder support with handles and it works fine both ways.
On a tripod or Glidetrack I just slap my glasses on and use the LCD!
Old June 1st, 2011, 12:14 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Interesting. I found that the x3 upgrade really improved the HoodLoupe. I still like the Z-Finder better, but not necessarily $300 better...
Old June 1st, 2011, 02:47 PM   #23
Slash Rules!

Well, I went the absolute cheapest route and bought a lcdvf knockoff. We'll see if it it works, and if it's no good, we'll see if at least the IDEA of it was good, were it made better, and I can get the real thing.

On the lower end it looks like it's between LCDVF and the digi finder pro, which both come somewhat recommended.
Old June 1st, 2011, 03:15 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Interesting. I found that the x3 upgrade really improved the HoodLoupe. I still like the Z-Finder better, but not necessarily $300 better...
Maybe I was ripped off and bought a hooky one from someone… It's not always easy to get the America stuff here. You wouldn't believe how much they charge for postage at Zacuto and then there's customs on top. Not moaning, just pointing out that maybe the Hoodloup upgrade I got wasn't kosher.
Old June 1st, 2011, 03:32 PM   #25
Inner Circle

That might be the case.

The original HoodLoupe had a VERY small sweet spot. Let your eye drift from center and everything gets blurry quick. With the x3, I find it much more forgiving, though not up to the Z-Finder level. I don't even think about my eye location in the loupe any longer.

A solid mount certainly helps. I use the RedRock mount, which is a pain to switch in and out, but is rock solid and travels well.When I was using rubber bands and no x3, the HL was a joke. You're shooting, trying to keep your eye centered, and trying to force the loupe back square on the screen. It was like trying to push jello back to the center of a bullseye on a ship at sea with your nose while wearing a bad monocle. :)
Old June 1st, 2011, 03:49 PM   #26
Contributor

I use the Hoodman with their Hoodcrane attachment device. I like it because it's adjustable. However, it really doesn't lend itself to hinging up and out of the way very easily. It works but it's kind of a pain to make it work and reset it properly. I find the 3X version of the viewer fine. I wear glasses and leave them on. I'm hoping to get a Cineroid EVF eventually, or maybe the Redrock EVF if it ever really comes out.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 05:47 PM   #27
Inner Circle

EPILOG: I received the LCDVF and tried it immediately. I have normal middle age farsightedness ... no coke bottles ... but I cannot use it without a diopter and had to return it. YMMV

I have a Hoodman for my EX1r and I tried it on the 5dm2. I disagree with the review that bashed it. Perhaps the 3x magnifier for the DSLR is the problem. But the EX1r model nicely and evenly magnified the LCD screen and it has a diopter. Attaching it is a another issue however.
Old June 8th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #28
Slash Rules!

Got my cheapo LCDVF knockoff loupe today and tried it out.

Seems fine. . .I am nearsighted, though not blind without my glasses (driving, especially at night, probably not a good idea).

The 2.whatever (I think it's 2.8)x magnification seems decent, didn't notice any cropping of the screen or distortion.

The frame sticks pretty well, and it has a little part you hold down when you pull the magnetized loupe off, so that the sticky frame doesn't come off as well.

Comes with an extra frame, and bag.

When I say I "tried it", I mean I played with it for 5 minutes. I don't have the cam with me right not but feel free to ask any questions.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD