DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   What is the workflow for 5DM2 video on Final Cut Pro? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/496492-what-workflow-5dm2-video-final-cut-pro.html)

Les Wilson May 27th, 2011 06:32 PM

What is the workflow for 5DM2 video on Final Cut Pro?

THe links to the Canon White papers on workflow from this page are broken.
Canon DLC: Article: Introducing EOS Movie Plugin-E1 for Final Cut Pro

Does anyone know of a good source for a description of how to use the various utilities?

Also, I already have the SxS plugin for FCP installed. How does one manage these plugins? I see no way to specify which one to used for the Log and Transfer command. :-(

Mike Watson May 28th, 2011 12:03 AM

Re: What is the workflow for 5DM2 video on Final Cut Pro?

I am just using Log and Transfer alone (shift-Cmd-8) and importing to ProRes. You can only do this when the card is intact, if I copy the files over without a disk image, I just batch convert them with streamclip before I start.

Les Wilson May 28th, 2011 04:33 AM

My L&T does not recognize the files on the CF card as ones it can do anything with. I've not installed the Canon plugin yet, I want to understand how it co-exists with other camera plugins.

Clipwrap doesn't recognize the files either.

I can copy the .mov files and run them thru Compressor but I think that has problems when it comes to the meta data in the .thm files and stitching clips together.

For XDCAM, Sony provides utilities for copying and converting the files. Is there a Canon equivalent?

Mike Watson May 28th, 2011 01:34 PM

I believe you have to install the Canon plugin.

I regularly batch convert with streamclip without a percieved ill-effect. What is your application that you wish to not install the Canon plugin, and keep whatever metadata is in the thm files?

Les Wilson May 29th, 2011 05:47 AM

I already have a Sony Plugin installed and I don't want to mess that up without understanding how FCP handles multiple plugins....I'll just try it I guess.

I prefer to have the original files on two hard disks before starting editing. What utility is used to copy the files structure from the card to hard disk for backup?

What are the .THM files for?

Mike Watson May 29th, 2011 03:45 PM

I have been using disk utility to make .dmg files of each card. Opening the DMG is exactly like plugging the card back in.

I have XDCam and the Canon utilities both installed, I don't believe it's made any difference.

Wayne Avanson May 30th, 2011 12:25 PM

I just copy the mov files to a new folder in the project folder, transcode them the XDCAM HD422 using MPEG StreamClip and use those. They come into FCP looking good.

Liam Hall May 31st, 2011 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Watson (Post 1653526)
I am just using Log and Transfer alone (shift-Cmd-8) and importing to ProRes. You can only do this when the card is intact, if I copy the files over without a disk image, I just batch convert them with streamclip before I start.

There's no need to this. You simply need to copy the cards to a new folder on your media drive, then use log and transfer to import. If you give each folder its own unique name you will be able to re-conform at a later date using the camera originals if you have deleted the ProRes - very handy for archiving.

Use the preference pane in the log and transfer window to select the EOS plug-in - it's the little drop down menu with an icon that looks like a gear.

Nigel Barker May 31st, 2011 04:48 PM

Log & Transfer has the option to create a disk image of the card so I always use this & then work from the card. Creating a disk image makes it easier to make copies of that single file to multiple hard disks.

The various plugins in L&T are completely separate from one another but using the same interface to handle file types from different sources. I currently use L&T to import 5D .MOV files, Canon XF305/105 MXF files & AVCHD files from Panasonic GH2 & AF101. Under preferences you can choose whether to work with native files e.g. MXF or transcode to ProRes (HQ, regular or LT) e.g. 5D or AVCHD.

The .THM file is a low resolution JPG file of the first frame of the video clip. It contains EXIF information e.g. timestamp, aperture, shutter speed, ISO etc None of this metadata is used by the Canon plugin except the timestamp which is used to add timecode when importing the clip using L&T. I don't know of any utility that does make use of this metadata other than simple ones that will display the EXIF data. It would be nice to have some easy way of viewing details of the camera settings when you are viewing clips & deciding what worked & why.