DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   which Nikon lenses can actually work on Canon? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/496583-nikon-lenses-can-actually-work-canon.html)

Federico Perale May 30th, 2011 07:20 AM

which Nikon lenses can actually work on Canon?

I am thinking of buying a 5D mk2 (or 7D I still haven't decided)/
I am a Nikon user, so I'd like to keep using some at least of my lenses using the Nikon to Canon adaptor.

especially a 105 Macro f 2.8, a splendid lens with VR ( )

will it work and will it retain all its capabilities including metering, manual/auto focus and VR? I am seeing quite a few adapters around and I can see most (if not all) do not retain any of those capabilities apart from metering

thanks
Fed

Tony Davies-Patrick May 31st, 2011 11:28 AM

Re: which Nikon lenses can actually work on Canon?

Almost all Nikon Nikkor lenses can be used with the Canon 5D Mark II, but aperture control and VR will be lost when using latest AF 'G' Nikkors. This is why it is far better to use the older AF and MF Nikkor lenses which all have an aperture F/stop ring on the lens barrel to provide full depth control in video mode.

Manual Nikon Nikkor lenses are superb optics and work well with th 5D in video mode. Just don't expect all the bells & whistles of full aperture readout, AF, VR/IS etc when using Nikon glass on your Canon body. If you want all that you'll need to stick to Canon glass. I use Canon, Nikon and Pentax lenses with my 5D for both stills & video.

Vishal Jadhav May 31st, 2011 11:58 AM

When you use the Nikon on the Canon the biggest challange is the aperture , hence that being on the lens works the best.
Thats where the old Nikkor lenses work wonders with the canon cameras.

I am not a big user in this category but i use the Old Nikkor 800 f/5.6 on my Canon 5D M II and i am impressed with what ever i have made in terms of video with this. Even tried the 600D on this lens and it made good images and videos with both the cameras.

hence till the time you have aperture that you can control on the lens, you are very good to go

Bill Pryor May 31st, 2011 03:35 PM

I use my pre-AI Nikkors on my 5D, including a 24mm, 35mm, 105mm and 55 micro. All work great. I don't see any challenge with the aperture--the in camera meter is accurate.

Martin Catt May 31st, 2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick (Post 1654414)
Almost all Nikon Nikkor lenses can be used with the Canon 5D Mark II, but aperture control and VR will be lost when using latest AF 'G' Nikkors. This is why it is far better to use the older AF and MF Nikkor lenses which all have an aperture F/stop ring on the lens barrel to provide full depth control in video mode.

Manual Nikon Nikkor lenses are superb optics and work well with th 5D in video mode. Just don't expect all the bells & whistles of full aperture readout, AF, VR/IS etc when using Nikon glass on your Canon body. If you want all that you'll need to stick to Canon glass. I use Canon, Nikon and Pentax lenses with my 5D for both stills & video.

Tony: what adapter are you using to mount Pentax lenses on your 5D? I own a BUNCH of Pentax K-mount lenses that I'd love to fit on the 5DMk2, but a brief search online found a site that said K-mount lenses couldn't be adapted. What's your secret?

Martin

Chris Barcellos June 1st, 2011 12:30 AM

Martin. Who ever said that is wrong. I have four K mounts I shoot with the 5D. No secret. Just buy an adapter. Check out ebay. They typically run a bit more than the Nikon to EOS adapters.

On one occaision, I had to do a bit of surgery on a flange on the back of a lens. (Can't remember if it was Nikon or Pentax mount.) But it did not affect the lens usability on the Canon cameras. The surgery may effect use in the orignial intended camera, but then I don't shoot those and I bought the lenses specifically for use with the Canons.

Martin Catt June 1st, 2011 05:04 AM

Chris: the information came from the Fotodiox site, saying the rear element will hit the mirror. See the big red text on the page below:

Fotodiox

What brand adapter(s) are you using? I tend to stay with Fotodiox, even if they cost a little more, because their construction seems to be better -- tighter tolerances, no slop, plus you get infinity focus.

Martin

Tony Davies-Patrick June 1st, 2011 01:39 PM

Martin, I mainly use Pentax 67 Medium Format lenses on my 5D using a special Pentax-EOS adapter.

Here is a link to more info on DVinfo forum:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...tive-view.html