which Nikon lenses can actually work on Canon? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 30th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #1
Major Player

which Nikon lenses can actually work on Canon?

I am thinking of buying a 5D mk2 (or 7D I still haven't decided)/
I am a Nikon user, so I'd like to keep using some at least of my lenses using the Nikon to Canon adaptor.

especially a 105 Macro f 2.8, a splendid lens with VR (

)

will it work and will it retain all its capabilities including metering, manual/auto focus and VR? I am seeing quite a few adapters around and I can see most (if not all) do not retain any of those capabilities apart from metering

thanks
Fed
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: which Nikon lenses can actually work on Canon?

Almost all Nikon Nikkor lenses can be used with the Canon 5D Mark II, but aperture control and VR will be lost when using latest AF 'G' Nikkors. This is why it is far better to use the older AF and MF Nikkor lenses which all have an aperture F/stop ring on the lens barrel to provide full depth control in video mode.

Manual Nikon Nikkor lenses are superb optics and work well with th 5D in video mode. Just don't expect all the bells & whistles of full aperture readout, AF, VR/IS etc when using Nikon glass on your Canon body. If you want all that you'll need to stick to Canon glass. I use Canon, Nikon and Pentax lenses with my 5D for both stills & video.
Old May 31st, 2011, 11:58 AM   #3
Major Player

When you use the Nikon on the Canon the biggest challange is the aperture , hence that being on the lens works the best.
Thats where the old Nikkor lenses work wonders with the canon cameras.

I am not a big user in this category but i use the Old Nikkor 800 f/5.6 on my Canon 5D M II and i am impressed with what ever i have made in terms of video with this. Even tried the 600D on this lens and it made good images and videos with both the cameras.

hence till the time you have aperture that you can control on the lens, you are very good to go
Vishal Jadhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Contributor

I use my pre-AI Nikkors on my 5D, including a 24mm, 35mm, 105mm and 55 micro. All work great. I don't see any challenge with the aperture--the in camera meter is accurate.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 04:58 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
Almost all Nikon Nikkor lenses can be used with the Canon 5D Mark II, but aperture control and VR will be lost when using latest AF 'G' Nikkors. This is why it is far better to use the older AF and MF Nikkor lenses which all have an aperture F/stop ring on the lens barrel to provide full depth control in video mode.

Manual Nikon Nikkor lenses are superb optics and work well with th 5D in video mode. Just don't expect all the bells & whistles of full aperture readout, AF, VR/IS etc when using Nikon glass on your Canon body. If you want all that you'll need to stick to Canon glass. I use Canon, Nikon and Pentax lenses with my 5D for both stills & video.
Tony: what adapter are you using to mount Pentax lenses on your 5D? I own a BUNCH of Pentax K-mount lenses that I'd love to fit on the 5DMk2, but a brief search online found a site that said K-mount lenses couldn't be adapted. What's your secret?

Martin
Old June 1st, 2011, 12:30 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Martin. Who ever said that is wrong. I have four K mounts I shoot with the 5D. No secret. Just buy an adapter. Check out ebay. They typically run a bit more than the Nikon to EOS adapters.

On one occaision, I had to do a bit of surgery on a flange on the back of a lens. (Can't remember if it was Nikon or Pentax mount.) But it did not affect the lens usability on the Canon cameras. The surgery may effect use in the orignial intended camera, but then I don't shoot those and I bought the lenses specifically for use with the Canons.
Old June 1st, 2011, 05:04 AM   #7
Major Player

Chris: the information came from the Fotodiox site, saying the rear element will hit the mirror. See the big red text on the page below:

Fotodiox

What brand adapter(s) are you using? I tend to stay with Fotodiox, even if they cost a little more, because their construction seems to be better -- tighter tolerances, no slop, plus you get infinity focus.

Martin
Old June 1st, 2011, 01:39 PM   #8
Trustee

Martin, I mainly use Pentax 67 Medium Format lenses on my 5D using a special Pentax-EOS adapter.

Here is a link to more info on DVinfo forum:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...tive-view.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD