DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Canon 24-105mm L - Strange variable glare with Stabilizer On (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/496613-canon-24-105mm-l-strange-variable-glare-stabilizer.html)

Keith Moreau May 30th, 2011 10:53 PM

Canon 24-105mm L - Strange variable glare with Stabilizer On

I have a 24-105 L. When I have it in Stabilizing mode, which I like when I have it hand held, I'm not getting a strange variable glare, almost like there is some light hitting the lens -an overall fogginess on part of the frame, like shooting into the light. It's also variable, as if it's linked to the stabilization element. t It goes away when the stabilization is off. I know it's the lens because I tried it with my 5D MK II and my 7D and it was still there.

Any clues? Is my lens hosed and in need of repair?

Thanks for any advice.

Bill Pryor May 31st, 2011 03:37 PM

Re: Canon 24-105mm L - Strange variable glare with Stabilizer On

I'd definitely send it in. If you've used it on different cameras, it's obviously not the camera. And if it only happens in IS mode, then that's pretty strong evidence there's something wrong there.

Daniel Weber June 1st, 2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Moreau (Post 1654265)
I have a 24-105 L. When I have it in Stabilizing mode, which I like when I have it hand held, I'm not getting a strange variable glare, almost like there is some light hitting the lens -an overall fogginess on part of the frame, like shooting into the light. It's also variable, as if it's linked to the stabilization element. t It goes away when the stabilization is off. I know it's the lens because I tried it with my 5D MK II and my 7D and it was still there.

Any clues? Is my lens hosed and in need of repair?

Thanks for any advice.

I have the same lens doing the EXACT same thing on my 7D. It has been driving me nuts. I also have the same model lens on my 5D and it works great. Never any problems.

Have you contacted Canon yet? I have CPS and will call them next week when I am back in the office.

Daniel Weber

Keith Moreau June 1st, 2011 02:50 PM

I reported the problem via the Canon service web site, got immediate responses to check the lot number as they had problems with early versions of this lens. My lens is about 1 year old, however and didn't fall into it. They were still nice and sent me a UPS label and form to include in the box, said it would take 10-14 days to fix and return. So I'm sending it in. Strange stuff, wonder if something got into the lens or stabilization element to make it fog up or something. At first I thought it was a flare from some light hitting into the lens, but it didn't go away when I pointed it in different directions. Seems to happen in a strongly backlit scene, but that's the beauty of these DSLRS is you can do that and get good results. Contact Canon, if it's under warranty then it should be ok to sent it back.

Keith Moreau June 8th, 2011 04:11 PM

I just received the repaired lens back from Canon. I must say the service was excellent and about as fast as it could have gone, maybe 1 week turnaround from the time it was shipped to the time it got back to me.

The repair order says they did find a problem with the image stabilizer (soft and malfunctioned intermittently and replaced that part of the lens.)

Thumbs up to Canon service!

Daniel Weber June 8th, 2011 08:28 PM

Thanks for the update. I need to call Canon tomorrow and ship off the lens.

Daniel Weber

Daniel Weber June 14th, 2011 01:41 PM

Well I just received the lens back from Canon and they said that there wasn't anything wrong with the lens. I need to test it and I have a shoot on Thursday in NYC. I was really hoping that they would be able to find something wrong and fix it like they did with Keith's lens.

Not to happy about this....

Keith Moreau June 15th, 2011 09:05 AM

Daniel, that's too bad. It's strange they didn't contact you to try to repro the problem. I sent mine to the Southern California center. They actually called me the the friday they received it and left a message about me describing the problem more, including perhaps sending them some images of the problem. I didn't have a chance to call them back until the next Monday, and by the time I did, they had already diagnosed the problem and replaced the stabilizing component, which was a pleasant surprise.

I think if you send it in again you may want to contact them to send some clips of the problem if you have them. I was prepared to but didn't need to, that saved me a little time and probably speeded up the repair.