Test of Different Picture Profiles, including Technicolor Cinestyle at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 5th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Test of Different Picture Profiles, including Technicolor Cinestyle

I decided to shoot a test using several of the available Picture Profiles for the Canon 5D.

I shot the same subject using the Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Faithful, Neutral (Philip Bloom settings) and the new Technicolor Cinestyle profile.

The first clip was done without any color correction to show the different latitudes that the camera records in the different profiles. I also did the same shots with and without the Lightcraft Workshop Mark II VariND filter just to show how it effects the image as well. I picked a scene that had very neutral colors buy also a large dynamic range just to show how the different profiles handle blown out backgrounds and detail.

Here is a link to the shots without any color correction:

Here is a link to the version that is then color corrected using Apple's 3 Way Color Corrector in Final Cut Pro:

Finally, here is a link to the shots color corrected in Red Giant Software's Colorista Free plug in. Again done in Final Cut Pro.

As a reference, here is a link to a clip that I shot with my daughters when I was in a hurry and forgot to change the Picture Profile on the camera to the Technicolor Cinestyle profile. I shot it in Canon's Landscape Picture Profile on accident. I was intrigued by how it came out and decided to then do this test.

I would appreciate any feedback that people might have. I am still up in the air as to how I will set the camera up going forward.

Thanks,

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Test of Different Picture Profiles, including Technicolor Cinestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Weber View Post
I would appreciate any feedback that people might have.
Daniel, although I can't make much out of it, I appreciate that you took the time A/B testing those settings. It would be interesting to hear your consensus of it all. The final video, of your daughter & butterfly, is just one of those textbook precious shoot -- reminds me of my dad's 16mm that he shot of us as kids. Happy days.

-- peer
Old June 6th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Daniel-

What lens did you use on that Butterfly shot? Love the closeup on the flower/butterfly!
Ryan Czaplinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you for putting this together Daniel!

I'm guessing you applied the same CC to all picture styles. I would be interested to see a screen shot of the Levels histogram of each of these to see the differences in codec breakup as you apply the CC. Obviously you have a lot more latitude with the Cinestyle or Neutral picture styles but the question becomes what happens to the codec when you begin to stretch the contrast on those clips. A screen shot of the Levels or Waveform of each would be cool to look at where we could look for spikes on the Levels or banding on the Waveform.
Steve Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Major Player

Let me try to work on getting that up soon....
Old June 6th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Czaplinski View Post
Daniel-

What lens did you use on that Butterfly shot? Love the closeup on the flower/butterfly!
That was my Canon 24-105 F4 L lens. Very happy with how it works with the 5D.
Old June 6th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nelson View Post
Thank you for putting this together Daniel!

I'm guessing you applied the same CC to all picture styles. I would be interested to see a screen shot of the Levels histogram of each of these to see the differences in codec breakup as you apply the CC. Obviously you have a lot more latitude with the Cinestyle or Neutral picture styles but the question becomes what happens to the codec when you begin to stretch the contrast on those clips. A screen shot of the Levels or Waveform of each would be cool to look at where we could look for spikes on the Levels or banding on the Waveform.
Steve,

Here is a frame grab from within Final Cut Pro of the Cinestyle shot without the VariND and before any color correction.
Attached Thumbnails
Test of Different Picture Profiles, including Technicolor Cinestyle-cinestyle-waveform-fcp.tiff  
Old June 6th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #8
Major Player

I did some testing tonight using LUT Buddy on the Cinestyle footage and I will post it a little later. So far I am impressed. I need to play with it some more.

Daniel
Old June 7th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #9
Major Player

Those shots of your daughter are, indeed, fantastic. You'll be glad you got those in years to come!

Regards feedback on the rest of your material, for what where you testing or investigating?

J.
Old June 7th, 2011, 09:42 AM   #10
Major Player

Justin,

Thanks for your comments.

I guess that I decided to do the test after seeing how the shots of my daughter turned out. Ever since I picked up my first Canon DSLR (7D) I heard that the cameras setting needed to be set to capture a very flat image to make up for the short comings of the imagers and the way they capture video. I have always shot using the neutral setting on the camera the way that Philip Bloom suggested. This does then require some CC in post.

Then I made the mistake when I shot my daughter and forgot to change the setting on the camera. I liked what I saw and then decided to do the test. The test left more questions in my mind.

Last night I played with Red Giant Software's LUT Buddy plug in along with the Technicolor Cinestyle S Log profile. I will post the results of that soon, but I was much happier after adding in that part of the work flow.

My main purpose for posting this test was the hope that someone else could add their comments and maybe also learn something as well.

The good old days of picking a film stock to match the look that you wanted are sure over!!

Daniel
Old June 7th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
That was my Canon 24-105 F4 L lens. Very happy with how it works with the 5D.
That really is a great lens and a perfect all-purpose zoom for the 5D Mk. II. Thanks a bunch for posting these clips!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #12
Major Player

Chris,

Your welcome. This site has been such a great resource over the past 10+ years and I just wanted to return the favor.

Daniel
Old June 7th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #13
Major Player

One final clip:

Here are the two Cinestyle shots after applying the LUT Buddy FCP plug in. I used the S Log profile that was made available by Technicolor.

Old June 7th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Steve,

Here is a frame grab from within Final Cut Pro of the Cinestyle shot without the VariND and before any color correction.
Thank you for this Daniel. It really shows how well the Cinestyle works to flatten the image well within limits. Lots of room to work there. Do you happen to have a frame grab after CC for comparison?
Steve Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #15
Major Player

I will post a frame from the CC as well as how it looks after applying the LUT Buddy plug in.

Probably later tonight...
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD