feeding zoom h4n into the 5D (attenuator) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 1st, 2013, 01:22 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: feeding zoom h4n into the 5D (attenuator)

Do the clients even care so much that we need to beat ourselves up about these subtle differences? I too have the H4n and I sometimes use it with the 5D Mark III or the XLH1. For me, the H4n is used more as a backup. The sound from the 5D Mark III is really good if you use it correctly.
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 02:21 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Exactly...
Seems to me that pumping extra money into equipment that won't produce a difference that you can see or hear without having to do a side by side comparison doesn't make a lot of sense.

Some folks here are using the 5DM2, which doesn't record sound as cleanly as the 5DM3, so that's a different animal. But I doubt anyone could listen to a project of mine and tell whether I used a Zoom or recorded straight to camera. If you listened to the raw files, sure you could, but when it's all put together mixed with music etc... no way.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 09:47 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice Hoss View Post
Instead of using the H4n, could we use the smaller zoom h1 and work without XLRs?
My plan : connecting a senheiser evolution g3 to a mounted h1, which feeds into the 5d (or 6d in my case...) Does that make any sense?
(I work alone and to me : small is beautiful - I believe the h4n is just too big/complicated)
Thanks
Yes Fabrice, the H1 will work just fine as well.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:19 PM   #19
New Boot

I have the 5D Mark III & the H4 Zoom: if i use the Sescom cable to connec the two then plug a wireless mic into the H4 on one channel and use the general mic of the H4 on the other channel. will have the sound be seperated in the audio tracks of the 5D.

stef./.\
Stefan Verna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:19 PM   #20
Major Player

Stefan,

I'm not sure if I understand your post. Are you asking a question or are you offering information. Like you, I have both the H4n and the Mark III but I don't choose to use the Sescom cable. Like one of the earlier posters, I use an XLR to headphone cable and go straight into the camera in that manner. It is interesting though, that you can possibly record on two channels, one being wireless and if I understand your post, the other being run from the camera.
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 05:02 PM   #21
New Boot

Maurice,

It was a question. i want to use the ambient sound from the 90o mic of the Zoom and the wireless sound to end up as seperate tracks on the 5D mark3. This way i would avoid having to sync. I don't want to use the sound from the camera.
You are saying that i can use a regular XLR to minijack cable to connect the h4n to the mark 3 and i will get no hiss? Does that make the Sescom useless then?

stef./.\
Stefan Verna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #22
Major Player

Stefan,
No you cannot do that.
The H4 must be in 4ch mode to record its 90° mics AND a wireless mic fed to it. The ouput of the H4 is only 2ch, so it will feed a full mix of all 4 channels to the output.

1&3 = left output
2&4 = right output

Sorry, you cannot get what you're looking for because the builtin 90° mic will be mixed in with your wireless mic.
Old February 9th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #23
New Boot

Thank you Shannon for the info. I spoke at length to a fellow filmmaker who owns both the H4N & the Mark 3 and he told me the only way to have seperate channels into the camera is to plug a shotgun mic in one XLR jack & the wireless in the other XLR and the signal will be seperate on the 5D. He's done it and it works. i'm curious to try it to see for myself.

stef./.\
Stefan Verna is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD