audio out of hdmi at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 5th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

audio out of hdmi

Does anyone know if the hdmi coming out of the 5D also carries the stereo audio streams?? while not playing back or recording? Just the monitoring?

jh
John Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: audio out of hdmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harvey View Post
Does anyone know if the hdmi coming out of the 5D also carries the stereo audio streams?? while not playing back or recording? Just the monitoring?

jh
Hey John,

You can only here the audio via HDMI when playing back a reclorded clip, not during recording or on stand by. Most people solve this problem by installing Magic Lantern which will turn the A//V jack into a monitor for headphones. For some reason though Magic Lantern will not install in my 5D, can't figure out why.

Hope this helps.
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks, shame, I'll have to run separate sound and sync later. really wanted the new sound devices PIX 220 but they have stalled back until September now, I have to shoot in Aug. So I ordered the Blackmagic Hyper shuttle, only records 4:2:2 uncompressed so I'll be gobbling up HDD space fast. but it's inexpensive compared to the alternatives.

jh
John Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #4
Trustee

John...please read the plethora of posts about how NONE of the Canon DSLRs has a suitable hdmi out for using an external recorder. BH photo video even started putting a warning note about this on most of the hdmi recorders they sell.

Here's their warning right on the front page of the hyperdeck...

"Note! The HDMI output from DSLR cameras such as the Canon 5D/7D and Panasonic GH2 is intended for monitoring only, not for recording. "

I won't go into the reasons because theres a million posts about this but don't do it. You will be much happier with recording to the camera's internal card.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD