anyone using the Manfrotto 561 BHDV monopod? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 11th, 2011, 06:07 AM   #1
Major Player

anyone using the Manfrotto 561 BHDV monopod?

I am thinking of buying it, and it looks really like what I need.

still I read somewhere (Manfrotto 561B monopod Review) that the quick-release plate is awkward to say the least: has anyone experienced difficulties in that regard?
I have read one review on youtube where the guy was saying that the camera was release as the head broke, as to suggest a poor built quality....
("I got it and it broke after a year. The head just fell off of it and good thing I have good reflexes and caught the camera before it hit the ground. The head was on the stick via a plastic thing. How stupid is that! Anyway now I have to go to Manfrotto and see if they will give me a better one.")

thanks
Fed
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: anyone using the Manfrotto 561 BHDV monopod?

Just bought one. Build seems okay enough - I have no problem recommending it, especially since it is tall enough for me (Im 6' 3"). Only problem I have is that some movements induce 'stiction' in the ball joint at the bottom. Panning seems fine but other dolly movements are sometimes interrupted. I may add some lube to ease the joint.
Old July 11th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I have been using these for years. The QR plate is the same as the standard Manfrotto 577. I use these on all our tripods etc & even use one on a Glidetrack to quickly put it on/off a tripod.

I cannot imagine what the guy who claims the head broke has done. The head is a tilting video head (you pan from the swivel foot). it screws on to the upright. It's all metal

It's a very decent quality piece of equipment that you definitely need if you are using a DSLR for video (unless you always use a tripod). Ignore the idiot review.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The quick release plate is somehow designed more for camcorders (narrow and longitudinal). The knob which tightens the quick-release plate ends up at the side of a narrow camcorder when tightened. However, when used with an SLR camera (positioned horizontally and in the middle of the plate), the knob which tightens the plate ends up under the camera and makes it difficult to untighten it. Solution: position the camera further forward on the plate. The plate has an adjustment screw to do that.

It is a great monopod, I highly recommend.
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Pedanes.............

From memory the 577 QR release knob is repositionable in 60 degree steps simply by tightening it, then pulling the spring loaded lever away from the 577 base and turning it one way or the other to reposition the OFF position.

As it only reqires less that 180 degrees to go from full lock to off or vice vers, there's no reason for it to hit the bottom of any camera.

It's a pretty standard Manfrotto feature.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Chris,

I didn't know that the OFF position can be repositioned. I will check it out when I have a chance.

Thank you!
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 02:55 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I have it - and recommend it. Same as second poster use the 501 plate on all my supports and they're very good. They do protrude from the camera - but with some adjustment and there is plenty you will find a set-up that suits you.

It is a monopod and much is made of the fluid joint. I don't use that very often, when I do its smooth.

Two points I will say:-

- the video head is much smaller than it looks in the photos. It looks like the 701 but is about a 501 size. Although ample for DSLR.

- it's a monopod and takes some practice to avoid lateral movement.

All the best.
Jeff Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:30 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Murray View Post
- it's a monopod and takes some practice to avoid lateral movement.
I echo that. While it is far better than handheld it's not as a good as a tripod. Even with practice it is almost impossible to prevent some slight swaying.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 06:49 AM   #9
Major Player

I got the Rocketfish 70" Carbon Fiber Monopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico Perale View Post
I am thinking of buying it, and it looks really like what I need.
I got the Rocketfish carbon fiber one -- so far I'm quite happy with it:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SL._SL500_.jpg

-- peer
Old July 13th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #10
Major Player

I have one too, I find that I use it a lot instead of my tripod these days - maybe 75% of my shooting is now on the 561 with the rest split between a tripod and handheld on a Redrock Nano. Before I got it, 90% of my stuff was shot on the sticks. Everything from interviews with a light kit and wired mics to action sports - its really versatile. I had a photo monopod that I rarely used, so I was a little hesitant to get the 561, but its been nothing but love since. Search this site for some great footage shot with the 561. With the little feet on the bottom its far more stable than a photo monopod, but you can also tilt and pan. With practice you can do some pretty good jib and dolly shots too.
Chris Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #11
Regular Crew

one of the best tools to have when shooting dslr. my monopod is usually the go-to support when shooting.
Chris Talawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #12
Major Player

extremely happy with mine, although tend to get overconfident with it and use longer focal lengths than I should.

it's a good piece of equipment for documentary type work, when you are on the go
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 04:13 AM   #13
Major Player

I bought it today and I am very happy.
the build quality is top notch (I just don't understand why they made the quick release mechanism in plastic)

the only thing is (as noted before) I will need to put some lubricant for the three plastic legs
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #14
Major Player

I had ordered the Manfrotto FLUID VIDEO MONOPOD w/HEAD - MA560B1 ($149) from B&H and when I opened the box I was disappointed with the size and my 5Dmk2wBatteryGrip seemed too much for it. I returned it. I'm used to Manfrotto equipment being tank like in build.

I see this is the 561 BHDV which is about twice the cost of the one I oredered. Is this monopod bigger sturdier more characteristic Manfrotto tank quality? I may order it if so.
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #15
Regular Crew

You ordered the one for the comsumer camcorder.

The 561 is larger and rated for higher weight. Mine works fine with the 5DII and the 70-200mm F2.8 IS which bring the camera and lens weight to 1860 grams.

I think with the battery grip and the 70-200 you'd still be under the 4kg limit.
Jeff Murray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD