Audio syncing at a wedding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 17th, 2011, 03:20 AM   #1
Major Player

Audio syncing at a wedding

Normally people use a handclap, clapboard, or drumbeat to sync audio between video and an external recorder. But weddings can't have that distraction. How do people with external recorders sync at weddings?
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 06:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Audio syncing at a wedding

The obvious thing for a wedding is a flashgun.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #3
Trustee

Is that not more for syncing cameras? Unless you use a Victorian "flashgun" than goes whoosh as it fires :-)
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #4
Trustee

Perhaps I'm alone here, but when I'm shooting something dual system that is lengthy, like this would be... I just manually sync them up.

It's a different story with 100 clips than 1 long one.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Morrow View Post
Normally people use a handclap, clapboard, or drumbeat to sync audio between video and an external recorder. But weddings can't have that distraction. How do people with external recorders sync at weddings?
I haven't shot any weddings, but was thinking that maybe a quick finger-snap in front of the camera shouldn't be too abrasive...?

-- peer
Old July 18th, 2011, 12:54 AM   #6
Trustee

It's not hard at all to do with the waveform and by ear. Just mark out a certain point on one track (eg the celebrant talking, or a round of applause, or a song) then find that part in your other audio track and roughly line it up. Then zoom right in on the timeline and use the wavefrom to line it up exactly. Then play it back and listen to make sure the sound matches, and adjust one frame at a time if necessary.

It takes me no longer than 60 second per clip I need to sync up, and I usually have 2-3 12 minute clips per ceremony, plus my b-camera, so it takes me max 3-5 minutes to sync everything up.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 05:35 AM   #7
Trustee

dead easy - Like John says just listen for a particular sound and sync on that or on the flash from a camera. I shoot the ceremony with 3 cameras rolling continuously and a lapel mike and don't have a problem with it
Old July 18th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #8
Major Player

I do it manually as well, but I heard some of our peers use a software called Pluraleyes. I have not tried it yet but I hear synching is a snap. One poster even said he Pluraleyes was able to sync an Indian song against his on cam mic recording.
Old July 18th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McDonald View Post
Is that not more for syncing cameras? Unless you use a Victorian "flashgun" than goes whoosh as it fires :-)
Whoops! Should have read the post properly I though that the question was about synchronising two camcorders.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Before while shooting DV and HDV, I manually sycn by matching the wave form. It's not difficult. now I am filming with DSLR, I use PLural eyes for the job.
Old August 15th, 2011, 07:04 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Here is my experience in the short time I have been doing it.

Plural eyes has a hard time syncing audio in a large church with lots of reverb.

So I take my 3 zoom h1s and hit record. I then clap and put the h1's on "hold" so they don't accidentally get shut off.

I can then place them where they need to go and let them record the whole ceremony. I then have 3 audio sources synced up.

Video next.

I use three DSLRS. One thing I have changed is that I let the camera record until it shuts off. (around 12 minutes) then I restart. Even if I am walking from one area to another. I just point the camera to the ground. That way I end up with fewer clips.

In the time line I drop the audio in and line up the claps on all three sources.

I then line up the first and last video clips from all three cameras. (easy to do just pick out a word or something easy to hear)

Then I just fill in the middle. The clips are in order for each camera so you are only working with a small 10-12 minute area.

The last ceremony I did the photographer used flash so it made it even easier to line up.

PS. I wish I could invent something that plugged into a outlet that put a "wireless clock" in the room. Then I would have a small mono receiver to plug into each camera and audio device that would record this signal on say the left audio channel.
David Schmaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 10:42 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
I do it manually as well, but I heard some of our peers use a software called Pluraleyes. I have not tried it yet but I hear synching is a snap. One poster even said he Pluraleyes was able to sync an Indian song against his on cam mic recording.
PluralEyes is magic. Once you've used it, you'll think you've been touched by the hand of G-d.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD