How many are using non Canon lenses? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 18th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #1
Major Player

How many are using non Canon lenses?

I'm just curious as to what the lens list looks like for those not using Canon lenses on their cameras (And what adapters they've found work best?).

I saw Rokinon 85M-C 85mm F1.4 Aspherical Lens for Canon on Amazon and was very intrigued with it. Still, there are a lot of older Nikon and non-Canon manual lenses out there and I'm wondering if they're worth a look for video purposes.
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: How many are using non Canon lenses?

I went through a 50's stage. Bought a Zeiss 50 1/4 c/y. It acts more like a 1.2(compared to my 1.4 lens), and the bokeh is really nice. I use it almost exclusively for dancing at receptions. I have a LEICA 50MM SUMMICRON-R F2 that I used a lot for the bridal prep last weekend. It has a softness that is very flattering for portraits and has the best color out of any lens I own. I have a Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42), that I used to use more when my style was more vintage. It has a low contrast rendering that reminds you of something that was produced in the 60's. For $25 its worth having in any kit, and the bokeh is crazy. Its a rip off of the boitar, do a search on google and you will see how it swirils the background. I use fotodoix adapters on those lenses. I use a Nikor tokina 11-16 on my gh1 and Canon camera's with ebay adapters (that have aperture control). I've always enjoyed using the 11-16.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I shoot Nikon and Pentax glass, almost exclusively... just because of the bargains you can get for excellent glass. I am not concerned about auto focus, auto exposure or image stabilization, preferring to handle this manually. Couple that with the fact that high end L glass is probably overkill if you are using camera for strictly video, it makes a lot of sense to go this way.

I bought inexpensive Kawa and other adapters for these lenses, not paying more that $ 25 per adapter, most often, much less. I try to keep an adapter on each lens I use a lot because changing .
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #4
Major Player

I have the Zeiss C/Y in 28, 35, 50 and 85mm and a Rokinon 14mm in Canon mount. Everything else I have the "Big IS" adapters from ebay, which I have found to be better than the 4 other adapters I have, including some allegedly "high end" ones.

My Rokinon is a toy compared to the C/Y 85 f1.4 and its not that much more than a Rokinon, if you can scrape up the extra $$$ it would be well worth it IMHO. The Zeiss will outlast your grandkids cameras since its all metal and built like a tank - the Rokinon is mostly plastic, thankfully I don't use the 14mm very much (I mostly shoot with the 28 and the 35) so it won't see a lot of abuse. The Rokinon - like the Zeiss - will be full manual and the 14mm is surprisingly heavy for a lens with so little metal.

I even use my Canon adapted C/Y lenses and the Rokinon on my Sony Nex with a EOS adapter. Its just easier than constantly swapping adapters.
Chris Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #5
Major Player

Another minor thing, Nikors focus in the right direction. Dream kit would be the new nikor Zeiss lenses on the canon bodies (plus it gives you aperture control). When using a follow focus, focusing towards you, you pull the follow focus towards you. The Canon glass is backwards and is less intuitive when you are in the field.
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McDonald View Post
I'm just curious as to what the lens list looks like for those not using Canon lenses on their cameras
Initially when I got the 5D2 I invested in a series of Nikkor primes, but shortly after the 'Manual mode' firmware release I went back using Canon f/2.8 L lenses (17-35mm & 70-200mm). However (although I still often use the 70-200) nowadays I'm more into my Carl Zeiss' f/1.4 (50mm & 85mm), and a spunky Sigma f/1.8 20mm. Though, as you can tell from some previous posts, I'm currently looking for a fast zoom that could perhaps cover the 20-100mm focal range, (any pointers appreciated).

Btw, here's brief focus/light test I did using the Zeiss 85mm:

-- peer
Old July 20th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #7
Contributor

I use 24mm, 35mm, 55mm micro, 105mm Nikkors, a Zeiss ZE 50 and a Canon 70-200. All non Canon lenses have their own adapters. I use 77mm stepdown rings so all my filters are one size--77mm. Also got 77mm threaded metal lens caps for all the lenses. If I had it to do again I would get the Zeiss ZF and an adapter, since those have regular aperture rings and can be de-clicked by Duclos just like the Nikkors.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 11:58 AM   #8
Major Player

Bill,
Any solutions for a lens hood with filters connected? I was wondering if there was a soft generic lens hood that you could slide over the adapter and filter combo but still keep it out of view.
Old July 20th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #9
Inner Circle

At home, I use Canon lenses. At work we have Zeiss.

Home: EF 28/1.8, EF 50/1.4, EF 85/1.8, EF 100/2.8 Macro, EF 200/2.8 L II, 2x Extender.

Work: ZE 21/2.8, ZE 35/2, ZE 85/1.4. (I also have access to the EF 24-105/4L IS.)

For photos, I especially love the ZE 21/2.8 and the 200/2.8L.

For video, I prefer the ZE 35/2 and the ZE 85/1.4.

The Macro delivers nice, crisp closeups for both photos and video.
Old July 20th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #10
Contributor

I lust after that Zeiss 21mm.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 08:19 AM   #11
Inner Circle

The Zeiss 21 is killer for photos - especially landscapes. It stretches the right and left sides though. People at the edges of a group shot gain weight and get wide faces. Lines remain pretty straight, but get further apart on the left and right, so it's not a normal barrel distortion.

I use it very sparingly for video. We got it in case of needing to "get it all in" when in tight spaces. I also use it for the rare "attitude" shot. Recently, I shot an ambulance leaving the firehouse to show negative consequences. An ultrawide low angle shot was perfect for the doom & gloom message.

It's also a fantastic lens for timelapses.

But for typical video, I almost never use it. That ambulance shot was the only time I used it in a 7 minute video with cuts every five seconds.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD