Uncompressed Video vs H.264 ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 18th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Uncompressed Video vs H.264 ?

hi.
just a quick question.
is there any possibility of recording uncompressed HD video with Canon EOS 5D Mark II using third-party hardware? is there any way to overcome this h.264 compressed format limitation?
thanks.

Lord Byron
Aram Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Uncompressed Video vs H.264 ?

No. The camera does not put out a clean, full HD signal via HDMI, so it's not really compatible with any of the external recorders that have hit the market recently.
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:02 PM   #3
Trustee

Answer to both questions: No.

However, an alternative solution to the H.264 limitation is to not have any heavy vfx (chroma keying is okay if you have lit properly) or color grading done on the footage. If you shoot close to your final look, with minor grading only, then the H.264 codec is no longer a limitation.
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Donn View Post
No. The camera does not put out a clean, full HD signal via HDMI, so it's not really compatible with any of the external recorders that have hit the market recently.
thanks for the reply.
i didn't mean output via hdmi.
i was thinking more along the lines of a different type of storage (hence, higher quality output), like, for example, the attachable hard drive for Sony EX-3 as opposed to memory cards.

Lord Byron
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sareesh Sudhakaran View Post
Answer to both questions: No.

However, an alternative solution to the H.264 limitation is to not have any heavy vfx (chroma keying is okay if you have lit properly) or color grading done on the footage. If you shoot close to your final look, with minor grading only, then the H.264 codec is no longer a limitation.
hmm, that doesn't sound good.
you mean, even if i work with h.264 converted into apple prores 422 or 4444 or uncompressed 8-bit for Color, regular colour grading and effects would not be recommended?

Lord Byron
Old July 20th, 2011, 08:15 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
even if i work with h.264 converted into apple prores 422 or 4444 or uncompressed 8-bit for Color, regular colour grading and effects would not be recommended?
It depends on your definition of 'regular color grading and effects'. Prores cannot put in anything that isn't already there (Think of the extra data as 'padding'). The best an intermediate codec can do is weather the blow for a few more iterations of manipulation. However, if your grading and effects are heavy, and you HAVE to shoot in H.264, then you might have no choice but to go the prores or cineform route. In fact, I recommend rendering the locked edit to an uncompressed image sequence instead of an intermediate codec.

The results will vary depending on your requirements, effects, delivery and workflow. I suggest testing samples to find which route you need to take.

And if you're grading heavily, you must try to work in 32-bit float, or at the very least 16-bit (Note: Your monitor might not be able to display all the colors).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD