Sharpening in CS4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 25th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Sharpening in CS4

How do you sharpen in CS4 when you've used a flat profile. It seems when I try to get some of my sharpness back it leaves a bit of a white border around the entire image (Too much I assume) but any less and I don't see the difference between the color graded without sharpen and the color graded with minor sharpen...it seems to just tip over for me...

am I missing something?

I'm working with 1DM4 footage using NeoScene to convert the files.
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Sharpening in CS4

Usually use a combination of Unsharp Mask and Sharpen filters. Though recently I started using the Pop slider in Colorista II. If you overdo it you will get those halos. I usually check peoples eyes as reference.
Old August 1st, 2011, 10:20 PM   #3
Major Player

Does anyone use in camera sharpening? Even to a little degree?
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:33 AM   #4
Trustee

I never shoot with a 'flat' in-camera profile. My main in-camera Profiles are Fuji Velvia (Globetrotter adjusted): 4,2,1,0; Kodachrome 2: 0,-1,1,1 and Fuji Reala: 3,1,1,1. I almost always have my cameras set on the User Defined Globetrotter 4,2,1,0. That relates to pushing colour, sharpness & contrast in camera. I may make some added post adjustment in sharpness with Adobe Photoshop to stills images when required, but never add sharpness to video footage in post. My most used tool in Photoshop is "curves".
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:42 PM   #5
Major Player

Did you also try Gaussian Blur? I use sharpen all the time, since my 7D footage has a much greater tendency to moire with any sharpness added on a profile, so I add it in post. I use PPro CS5.5, and don't notice a white border on the sharpen filter, which is supported as a Mercury Playback (realtime) filter.

CS5 is a really major upgrade with the 64-bit and MPE. A life-changer, IMHO.
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 04:26 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I'd agree with that Brian. We have morphed this into an Editor post. But while it's here why not?

I have been an Avid fan for 10 years. I've now done a project in CS5.5 and I love it. I don't know where I would be without After Effects integration, warp stabilise in AE, the whole Adobe integration (ie: Bridge [for frame level editing in PS5.5] and Audition.)

I found the editing tools in Premiere far more friendly. There is still a hint of the old problems of slower editing due to render times. But the gap has closed by far and a fairly cheap upgrade to my Graphics Card will get me closer to what I have with Avid. It's still a good playback using Mercury on the current system - but Avid is faster and smoother for FX rendering.

I think I will end up upgrading to a Nvidia FX 3800 and sticking with Adobe. AE has a huge edge over the Avid-badged Boris FX and is much easier to learn and use.
Jeff Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 03:27 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
My main in-camera Profiles are Fuji Velvia (Globetrotter adjusted): 4,2,1,0; Kodachrome 2: 0,-1,1,1 and Fuji Reala: 3,1,1,1. I almost always have my cameras set on the User Defined Globetrotter 4,2,1,0. That relates to pushing colour, sharpness & contrast in camera.
Tony, please could you explain these colour profiles & where they can be found?
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 05:32 AM   #8
Tourist

Hi Jason,
I've noticed the same, but in Premiere Cs6 on mac osX. When I apply sharpen to my 5d mk3 footage a thin White line appears around the image...its very frustrating!!! I have tested it on a macbook pro also on a macpro. Same results :((
I have not find any info about except on your post. This only happens to me?? :(((
Did you find a solution about??
best regards!
Jordi Luque is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD