Does this camera automatically adjust exposure? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 29th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #1
Tourist

Does this camera automatically adjust exposure?

If I point this camera at a source of light, the camera adjust the exposure to not blow out the lights with out my consent. This is not what I want. I want it to keep with the manual settings I have dialed in my camera. How do I make this happen. THanks in advance.
Zach Albritton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Does this camera automatically adjust exposure?

For video, despite having the camera in M for manual, it will still automatically adjust if you have not gone into the menu and set the camera up properly. I am not where my camera is, to give specific instructions, but you need to get to the menu Movie menu, and be sure camera is in Movie mode and stills-- and I recall a submenu. You do not want it in Exposure Simulation or plain still mode. You need to select out of that type of setting and go to movie setting. Then, when you select M, you should not have an issue.
Old July 29th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #3
Trustee

I don't have a 5D MkII but all the other Canon DSLRs will behave this way if you inadvertently leave the ISO set to AUTO. With the exposure in movie mode set for MANUAL the camera will hold the shutter and aperture settings you have dialed in, and it will hold the ISO provided you have taken ISO off AUTO and "dialed in" a numeric value.

I'll have ISO in AUTO just long enough to see where the camera wants to set the ISO, then I push the ISO button and "dial in" the numeric value indicated. From there I can adjust the ISO up or down a bit for "exposure effect" if desired.

But once the ISO is manually set to a numeric value your exposure is LOCKED and will not change to accommodate changes in scene brightness. I think this is what you want.

What may be happening to you is you touch the shutter button, see your settings at the bottom of the LCD screen along with an ISO value, because you have everything else MANUAL you may not realize the ISO value shown is what the camera selects with ISO on AUTO.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Bruce:

Because the 5D does not have a dedicated video switch, as is on the other Canon cameras, it was set up to provide an "auto video" mode even when the camera was set up to shoot in manual, but otherwise intended to shoot stills. To take it out of that mode, you have to affirmatively enter Movie menu to set up the camera for movie and stills and select the movie mode specifically.
Old July 29th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I DO have camera in front of me and in addition to what Chris said, you DO have to take it off auto ISO
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #6
Contributor

First thing to do with any camera is turn off all the automatic stuff.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD