DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   iPhone 4S / Canon 5d MKII Side by Side Comparison (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/501654-iphone-4s-canon-5d-mkii-side-side-comparison.html)

Martin Guitar October 15th, 2011 09:17 PM

iPhone 4S / Canon 5d MKII Side by Side Comparison

This is just a fun experiment. The 4S is great and to be able to carry a 1080p camera in your pocket is very cool.

Ted Ramasola October 16th, 2011 01:49 AM

Re: iPhone 4S / Canon 5d MKII Side by Side Comparison

cool test!

Marty Hudzik October 20th, 2011 12:25 PM

Wow. That looks a lot better than anything that small has a right to! Did you hook a follow focus up to it yet? :)

Martin Guitar October 20th, 2011 12:30 PM

if i could i would.

Richard Crook October 22nd, 2011 08:28 AM

Ah, but you can: iPhone 35 Vid-Atlantic Media Productions

Warren Kawamoto October 22nd, 2011 12:44 PM

Look at the video billboard, upper left, and center left at :50 and 3:26. On the iphone, the scan rate is way off!

Charles W. Hull October 22nd, 2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto (Post 1690773)
Look at the video billboard, upper left, and center left at :50 and 3:26. On the iphone, the scan rate is way off!

Nah, that's just the high shutter speed of the iPhone on a bright day. Like most of these small cameras exposure is controlled with the shutter speed. But the frame rate is correct.

Tony Davies-Patrick October 23rd, 2011 10:28 AM

It is amazing what the iPhone is able to do...although it is no real comparison at all to the 5D when shown on a large screen, and it does not of course have the lens options or manual control of the 5D etc.
I've just recently upgraded from the iPhone 3GS to the iPhone 4 (mainly use it for making calls, internet browsing, SMs etc...the normal functions for a phone!), and although would never think of using it for filming serious video, it certainly will help on occasions when I MUST get an unrepeatable sequence or news event when I don't have the 5D at hand. I'm sure that for very short clips it would blend OK with 5D main film footage.

Don Miller October 23rd, 2011 10:44 AM

For me the 4S video show how the capture side of video is maturing technology. Many other aspects, such as glass, will remain expensive.
I expect next year they will shoot an episode of House on the iphone 5. :)

4S video is probably unsettling for traditional video camera makers. Even Sony, who apparently made the device.

Harry Simpson November 8th, 2011 03:19 PM

my Christmas present is an iPhone4s case which accepts two lenses....one fish eye and one "wide-angle" and it looks like it might be decent glass for what it does. the case, two lenses (bayonet screwed into case), handle/tripod attachment are $200. I can't take it too seriously which is why it'd make a good Christmas present. ;-)

I mean the phone shoots 1080p....

Harry Simpson November 8th, 2011 03:25 PM

sorry for the double post....

Patrick Janka November 18th, 2011 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Crook (Post 1690741)

Add to that a Steadicam Smoothie and you have a powerhouse iPhone rig: Steadicam Smoothee