5D MKII died suddenly at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old October 16th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #1
New Boot

5D MKII died suddenly

Hi everyone,

I use my 5D MKII for both video and photos. During the past few weeks, I've used it a lot for both. I began noticing that, while shooting video, I began to get hot and dead pixels which I hadn't noticed before, although this was only a problem at high ISOs.

But the real problem came in the past three days, when I was shooting portraits. I had to shoot quite rapidly and I noticed that my camera seemed to be having difficulty focusing, even in bright light, which required me to take even more photos to make sure that the majority were in focus.

Yesterday, while continuing another portrait photo shoot, the auto focus seemed even slower. I always use manual focus while shooting video, but when shooting quick portraits, some with action, I use auto focus. Because the focus was so soft, I again had to shoot a lot of pictures. Perhaps 800 in two hours. Does that seem abnormal? I don't typically shoot this much, but because of the focusing issue, I wanted to be sure that I got enough good shots in focus.

While shooting, the camera made a strange noise, like a slow opening of the shutter, and the image on the LCD flashed to black, then I was no longer able to take any photos. If I pressed the live view mode, I could hear the camera making noise but nothing happened. It was as if the battery was completely dead but yet the red CF card access light was flashing.

I tried different lenses, different batteries, different CF cards, but nothing works. The only sign of life in the camera is whenever the battery is in, the LCD screen blinks (greyish black) and the red CF card access light flickers wildly!

Some forums online suggested that I change the clock battery which I did, to no avail. Others that I remove all the batteries from the camera (both the main battery and the clock battery) for several hours or overnight and then try. Result is always same, red flashing access light and flickering screen.

I called Canon Service Center and the rep I spoke with said he's never heard of this problem before, but other forum users who experienced it said they had to send it back to Canon for repairs, so apparently it has happened.

Has this happened to anyone else? Do you think it could be caused from using the camera so much in such a short period of time?

My camera is almost two years old, I don't know how many shutter actuations it has on it, but I don't think it had anywhere near the 150k lifespan.

As I'm based in Afghanistan, I can't take it to a nearby repair shop. My options are either to fly to Dubai and drop it off for repairs and then fly back to pick it up whenever it's finished, or to send it to the US (canon service center or another service center) and have it shipped back to me. I do have a warranty for manufacturer's defects for up to three years, but I'm not sure if it's something I did by shooting so much?

Sorry for the long post, any advice very much appreciated.

Thank you!
Elissa Bogos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 02:49 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: 5D MKII died suddenly

I just found the last image I took before the MKII stopped working.

Here is the link:

Last image before MKII stopped working

Does anyone have any ideas what might have caused this?
Old October 16th, 2011, 06:27 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Your shutter seized.

It could be heat related. Its not specifically due to using video mode (other than the extra heat generation in that mode).

It could be from a build up of dust or other contaminants or even an electrical failure.

Get it to a canon service center while you still have some warranty. Be sure to mention all the dead pixels you've seen too. They may replace the imager as well.
Old October 16th, 2011, 06:45 AM   #4
Inner Circle

These symptoms match the effects of circuit boards and electronics that are failing. Heat has a l g term effect on electronics and failures aren't always hard failures.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 07:46 AM   #5
New Boot

Chris and Les, many thanks for your input. I currently have an extended manufacturer's warranty. If it's an electrical/circuit or shutter problem, would that normally be covered? If not, do you have any rough idea of how much I could expect to pay for something like that?
Old October 16th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I would expect it to be covered. Especially if the warranty is with Canon. Even still, the camera has repeatable hard failures of it's fundamental function. There should be no debate.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks, Les. It's not a Canon warranty but it does cover manufacturer defects, which is what it sounds like this is. I'll ship it back and post the results for future readers who may have the same problem.

Thanks again for your help!
Elissa Bogos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD