DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Canon 5d Mark II VS 1D Mark IV for Secondary? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/502003-canon-5d-mark-ii-vs-1d-mark-iv-secondary.html)

Corey Benoit October 25th, 2011 08:36 PM

Canon 5d Mark II VS 1D Mark IV for Secondary?

I currently shoot photography/video with a 7d, i have full shoulder mount rig, always adding stuff to it, like matte boxes, sliders, i also have a full audio and lighting arsenal as well.

I am looking for a secondary camera, for when i am doing wedding photography i can have 2 cameras on hand, one with a wider shot, and one with a telephoto or macro.

I also will be using it as a backup for video when i shoot weddings.

So i know the 5d mark II has full frame whereas the 1D is only 1.3x. However alot of things point to the fact that the 1D mark IV has superior image quality is this true? I know the 1D mark IV also has faster shooting but i already have a 7d and its quite fast.

So what should i get?

1D Mark IV or 5D Mark II?

thanks!

Chris Hurd October 25th, 2011 08:53 PM

Re: Canon 5d Mark II VS 1D Mark IV for Secondary?

Right now the 1D Mk. IV is pretty hard to find. You can get your hands on a 5D Mk. II faster.

I wouldn't say the video is better on the 1D4, it just has superior low-light capability over the 5D2.

In my opinion, if you're looking for wide angle, 5D2 is the way to go -- not to mention it's easier
to get and less expensive than the 1D4. However, when it comes to photos, the 1D4 is a better
camera (faster AF, faster frame rate, etc.)

Ken Diewert October 25th, 2011 09:24 PM

Hey Corey,

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but It's not what you get, but how you use it... Seriously, I've seen guys who know what they're doing create some incredible stuff with crap gear. Conversely, I've seen some crap shot with the RED. I worked on a music video a couple of weeks ago where the DP with 30 years experience used a DVX100. The footage was beautifully lit and looks freakin awesome. And I'm working on a feature that we're about to shoot with a guy who just purchased his first real camera, a RED Epic, and frankly, I'm a little worried. There's is so much more to it than the gear.

IMHO, If you're really looking for a secondary camera for weddings, find a traditional video camera to match well with the 5d. I use an XLH1 and an HV30. The HV30 looks like crap sometimes, so I rarely use the footage. It's just more to prevent catastrophe in case of major failure. I would think that the XF series would be a great match for the 5D, And if you really want to go with a secondary DSLR, you just need a 60d or T3i. Because unless you've got an experienced operator manning the camera... it won't matter. If you have a traditional camera on a good tripod, get a second shooter to maintain framing, that makes for your safe shot.

To shoot weddings properly, there is a hell of alot more to it than pixel count... like audio quality, steady flowing images, being in the right place at the right time, focus, exposure... you can't yell 'Cut' at a wedding. All the pretty Wedding Demos that you see using DSLR are the result of dedicated experience and the relentless pursuit of excellence by the shooter. You also have to realize that most couples want a little bit more than a 3-minute highlight clip... so you better cover most things pretty well. They really don't care what you shot it on. They do care that it looks good. not shaky, or soft, or blown out, or underexposed, or the vows didn't get recorded...

Sorry if it sounds a little heavy. I must be turning into one of those old, cranky buggers...haha..

Good luck

Jon Fairhurst October 26th, 2011 01:16 AM

Episode 3 of the Zacuto Shootout showed that the 1D4 has less rolling shutter than the 5D2 and 7D. Just eying it, it looked like the rolling shutter effect was cut in half, which is significant. For wild, handheld work, the 1D4 would win. But for weddings, I'd hope that your camera motion would be more controlled.

There is now an anti aliasing filter available for the 5D2. That makes me lean in that direction. It gets soft in the corners with wides, but that's not a bad thing for weddings. It's much better than a loud moire effect.

It's possible that a 5D3 or equivalent will be announced in the next few days. That could make 5D2s very affordable.

As you know, DSLRs cover some aspects of weddings very well, and other aspects poorly. A normal camcorder might make sense. But that depends on your shooting style and goals.

Les Wilson October 26th, 2011 04:23 AM

I would think the 12 minute limit (technically a 4G limit) and moire on deep DOF wide shots by DSLR cameras make neither a good choice.

I have a 5DM2 as a secondary camera to an ENG main camera. I don't do weddings but with so many wedding videographers complaining about the fussing that DSLRs take, I'd expect you to be looking for a traditional camera as your secondary camera that is more fire and forget with decent automatics, battery life, and fast to setup yet with credible imaging capability. A used EX1 would fit the bill nicely I would think and it matches the 5Dm2 quite well.

That said, if you are looking at these two because of an opportunity to capitalize on some used gear being dumped by photographers upgrading, then caveat emptor.

Buba Kastorski October 26th, 2011 06:56 AM

I can't call weddings low budget, it's like no budget, and the budget is a king, so get 5Dmkii it's half the price, wider and to my eye has better details, 1D does have better low light performance, but i rather setup extra lights than shoot in the dark, I use both plus 60D , but when I get my scarlets the only DSLR that will stay is 5D, and for sure I am getting whatever replaces it