Question to slow motion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old October 29th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Question to slow motion

I wanna try to make some slow motion clips with Twixtor plugin and I am wondering, what is the best shutter speed for this? The second question - I have Canon 5D MII which doesnt have 50/60p, so what frame rate should I choose? The result will be probably in 24p or 25p.
Peter Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Question to slow motion

Use a very fast shutterspeed - at least 1/250th of a second to eliminate motion blur. The shraper your images to start off with, the more data Twixtor has to work with and the more accurate it will be.

If you know exactly what shots you want to slow down, shoot them at 30p. Then conform to 24p or 25p in post before appyling Twixtor. If you don't know which shots you want to slow down, or if you might want to use the shots at real time, then just shoot at whatever frame rate the project will be edited in.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have to do some tests. I think with very fast shutter speed it could lookl clean but jittery... or not? Maybe I need to find the optimal shutter speed where the picture is not jittery...and it's not too blurred.
Peter Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 05:43 AM   #4
Trustee

It will be jittery until you apply Twixtor. When you slow it down Twixtor will create new frames inbetween and smooth things out.

To be able to work properly, Twixtor needs a sharp image with no motion blur, otherwise it is unable to track and predict motion accurately enough to create the inbetween frames properly.

'Natural' motion blur is directly related to frame rate - inlcuding the playback frame rate. Playing back 24p footage with a shutterspeed of 1/50th looks natural at real-time, but slow it down or pause on a single frame and you'll notice blur all over the place - and the same applies when slowing footage down with Twixtor. Shooting footage with a 'regular' shhutter speed will also appear unnatural because Twixtor simulates footage being shot at a fast frame rate - if the footage is actually shot at a faster frame rate, having a shutter speed of 1/60th or 1/50th would defy physics.
John Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD