DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Lost battery charger? A workaround (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/502424-lost-battery-charger-workaround.html)

Dave Koegler November 7th, 2011 11:36 AM

Lost battery charger? A workaround

Recently, I left my 5DM2 battery charger and battery at a remote location which I will not visit for months. I had one spare battery, but it was depleted.What to do? None of the camera stores in this city carry the charger. I do have a battery grip, but the AA's deplete very rapidly for some reason.

I found an inexpensive universal camera battery charger at a battery store. But the 5DM2 + and - terminals are buried deep in grooves as opposed to most others (easily accessible surface terminals).

Knowing that I could trust the universal charger to not damage the battery, and let me know when finished (light turns from red to green), I soldered two small gauge wires (could use tape if needed) to the charger terminals, and bought 2 small spade connectors, crimped them to the free ends of the wires, and filed them so that they would slide snugly into the tiny 5DM2 slots on the battery.

This really does work, no heating of battery, etc.

It's nice if your wires are different colors, so you don't err.

I take this backup along in the very bottom of my bag.

Hope this helps someone.

Taky Cheung November 7th, 2011 12:23 PM

Re: Lost battery charger? A workaround

We have the Canon compatible batteries and chargers for 5DM2

LP-E6 Fully Decoded Battery for Canon 5D, 7D, 60D | L.A. Color Online
LC-E6 Canon Compatible Charger for LP-E6 Battery | L.A. Color Online

We are DVINfo sponsor. will ship international too.

Dave Koegler November 8th, 2011 12:34 AM

Thanks, Taky, but if I order your charger for Canada it will be $41.00 with shipping. I paid $10 for the universal charger, and now I can wait until I get back to the cabin to get my original charger.

I was only making the point that if someone is stuck and needs a non-proprietary replacement charger urgently, this was one way out of the problem.

I think I'll order a spare from you to be delivered to my US address!

Dave

Taky Cheung November 8th, 2011 12:38 AM

There is a cheaper way to ship with US Priority Mail to Canada for $12, but without a tracking number. If you are interested, email me at info@lacolorOnline.com to have that arranged =)

Morton Molyneux November 8th, 2011 03:53 PM

Great idea Dave,

Thanks for posting.

cheers

Morton

Dave Koegler November 10th, 2011 12:58 AM

Hi Mort,

Nice of you to comment.

Still blown away by that 14 mm!

Dave