Exposure Compensation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 8th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Exposure Compensation

I've had the 5D Mk2 for a few days now, and I'm very impressed - especially since I added the EF 24-70 f2.8.

One thing is puzzling me though - with the camera set to an auto mode (Av, Tv or P) I can't get the exposure compensation to work using either the Main Dial or the Quick Control Dial as per the instruction manual.

With the Power / Quick Control Dial Switch set to activate the Quick Control Dial, I half press the shutter button, then move the main Q/C dial but it doesn't shift the exposure at all.
Same goes for the Main Dial - no effect.

I can adjust it in the Menu - and if I press the Multi Controller, I can adjust it on the LCD Monitor.

I won't ask if anyone can shed any light on this, but help would be appreciated. I'm sure I've simply overlooked something.
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Exposure Compensation

Depress the shutter halfway, let it go, and then adjust exposure compensation with the big dial on the back of the camera.

About 5 seconds after you let go of the shutter button, the camera will "sleep" (don't know if this is the right term, but the numbers in the viewfinder go off), and you can't adjust Ev anymore.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 02:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

That's what I'm doing, but nothing happens. I know you have to do it within a few seconds of half pressing the shutter.

Works fine when I do it in the Menu and if I press the multi controller button.

It must be a setting I've inadvertently used - maybe I'll reset the camera if nobody can think why it won't work.
Old November 10th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #4
Trustee

Weird. See if you can apply a firmware update.

If you hold the button halfway down and twirl while you're doing it, does that work? I'm trying to picture in my mind how I do it.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks again for your help, Mike,

My firmware is 2.0.9 - as far as I can gather from the Canon (UK) site, this is the latest version.

Makes no difference if I hold down the shutter release button - with the Power Switch set to activate the Quick Control Dial, twirling the dial with the shutter release held down, scrolls between the nine focus points.

With the Power Switch set to 'On', nothing happens at all when I twirl the QCD.

If I twirl the Main Dial (on the top of the camera) with the shutter button held down, it changes the aperture / shutter speeds.
Old November 14th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Well, I fixed it . . .
Not sure how, but I fiddled with the menus and now all's working well again.

I wonder whether there's anyone on the planet who actually knows ALL the functions of ALL the menus on this remarkable instrument.
(I certainly don't)!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD