Can the 5D now shoot longer than 12 min? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 14th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can the 5D now shoot longer than 12 min?

Hi, has there been a software update to extend shooting time longer than 12 min?

For the wedding folks out there, how do you have more than 2 mics, say, 2 wireless', etc.
Are you all recording on an external source? And if so, syncing dozens and dozens of clips
seems like torture. Does software like Pluralize take care of this? Kindly enlighten me please. Thank you
L.J. Morelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Can the 5D now shoot longer than 12 min?

5D is still limited to 12min.

I feed my audio back into the 5D (from a H4N) and record there (as well as double roll on the H4N). I don't use more than two mics, but I don't see how using 2+ mics would be any more difficult here than on any other camera.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Same 12 minute llimit on 60D & 7D?
Old November 15th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #4
Major Player

All Canon DSLRs are limited to 12 minutes, or 4GB for each continuous recording. You may want to do some research on Magic Lantern.
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 07:55 AM   #5
Regular Crew

More 5D questions

Yes, I read up on Magic Lantern last year, there was some cool thing it offered, I think regarding audio, I can't remember. But was hesitant to install something Canon doesn't approve. I'll revisit that now, what are the highlights of that firmware update? Also, how do wedding shooters get past the 12 min limit? Just have multiple cameras starting different times? And I guess the unbroken audio on the H4n can hide a multitude of sins but just using a cutaway, or repeating a non dis script shot? Oh, one more thing,
sometimes the camera will just stop recording after a few seconds to a minute or so, doesn't shut off, just stops recording. Any thoughts on that, too? Thank you very much.
Old November 15th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #6
Major Player

Maybe most vdslr shooter offer short form edits and never go above 12 min? I've got magic lantern on my t2i and I let it roll. I use a gh2 for documentary footage that is included in my package. In the short form edit, I cut between a 5d and t2i like you said.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #7
Major Player

The recording limit is actually a function of the format of CF cards. All the camera manufacturers have elected to stay with Microsoft's FAT32 format for CF cards. This format imposes a maximum file size of 4GB as far as I know. Canon could provide a mechanism for the 5DM2 (and other video DSLRs) to do seamless recording, as they do in my XF100. Interestingly, the XF series limit their file size to 2GB, but when you use Final Cut Pro (and presumably other NLEs), the importer automagically stitches the multiple files together into one file on import.

Sadly, this doesn't really help, but I thought you might want to understand the problem a little better.

WRT audio, etc, I definitely own and use the heck out of Plural Eyes. And when recording an event such as a wedding, I look for a convenient place to do a cutaway. I also always keep a lockdown shot going with my XF100, which is where I have the audio saved. That way I can easily sync up my DSLR's video. But I've also used a little Zoom recorder and synced that up in post with multiple cameras. It's all doable.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD