Testing 5D Mark II Out @ Best Buy There Is Viewfinder issues? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old December 21st, 2011, 12:06 AM   #1
Major Player

Testing 5D Mark II Out @ Best Buy There Is Viewfinder issues?

I was trying to play around with the 5D at bestbuy and i tried taking a few pics, it has a black circle all the way around the viewfinder. it looked like vignetting. i played with all the settings since i am familiar with the 7d and have used it for over 2 years.

also i could not get the video mode to come on at all. i wanted to get one but this scared me.

What is wrong with it?
Corey Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 05:09 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Testing 5D Mark II Out @ Best Buy There Is Viewfinder issues?

Watch this video. Especially around 3:40

HDSLR | B&H Photo Online Videos | Podcasts
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 12:51 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks for the link Les. I've had my 5d2 for 2 1/2 years, and picked up some good info. I'll have to watch them all when I get the chance.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 04:38 PM   #4
Major Player

according to the instructor ISO 160 has less noise than 100. is this true?

also these videos didnt explain why the view finder on the 5D had vignetting??
Corey Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 05:22 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I have seen differing opinions on the native iso for the 5DM2 and cannot speak authoritatively on that. As far as Vignetting goes, I can't think of a setting that would cause that. My first thoughts would be that it's a flawed lens, incompatible lens for a full sized sensor or a mismounted lens hood. If it's ok in the optical viewfinder but not ok in live view, then it could point to a problem with the body.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #6
Contributor

In the early Zacuto tests they determined that 160 ISO was better than 100.

As far as the vignetting of a 5DII at Best Buy, I think it's a safe guess that they had an EF-S lens on the camera instead of a full frame lens.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 02:49 AM   #7
Trustee

I thought an EF-S lens would not physically mount on the 5dmkII (at least, not in any way that a even a total noob would not realise they were doing something wrong!)? Though it could've been a 3rd party lens designed for APS-C - these lenses from 3rd parties have a regular EF mount even on crop-only lenses.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #8
Contributor

No, all the EOS lenses will mount on any Canon EOS camera. You can use an EF-S lens on the 5DII but you will get the vignetting. If it's a zoom lens, you can zoom in far enough to maybe eliminate most of it. Mounts are the same, but the S lenses don't cover the full frame.

When I've been at Best Buy wandering around the camera section, the only L lenses I've seen are locked behind a glass door, and most of the lenses they have are the S variety. Unless they have one of the non-L full frame lenses, like the 28-135, it's very likely that somebody just stuck an S lens on the 5D. I have never talked to anyone at Best Buy who had much product knowledge.

NOTE--editing this to show that I was wrong in saying the Canon EF-S lens can mount on the 5DII. Some lenses like Tokina or Tamron's cropped sensor lenses can mount on the 5D but the Canon brand S lenses have something on the flange that keeps you from trying to use them on the 5D.

Last edited by Bill Pryor; December 30th, 2011 at 02:09 PM.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #9
Major Player

I have an EFS 55-250 for my 60D that will NOT mount on my 5D. But the 24-105 L I got with the 50D will mount on the 60D.

Bill said: " I have never talked to anyone at Best Buy who had much product knowledge."

I actually had a Best Buy department manager tell me you don't need to worry about white balance with the new digital SLRs.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Benoit View Post
I was trying to play around with the 5D at bestbuy and i tried taking a few pics, it has a black circle all the way around the viewfinder. it looked like vignetting. i played with all the settings since i am familiar with the 7d and have used it for over 2 years.

also i could not get the video mode to come on at all. i wanted to get one but this scared me.

What is wrong with it?
The focus screen is missing or misaligned. I had this problem when suction cups failed on a shoot and my 5d dorp to the ground.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #11
Contributor

Charles, you're right. I was misinformed. It came from either a Tokina or Tamron lens that was designed for cropped sensor cameras but would mount on the 5D OK. We thought Canon lenses were the same, but further checking after you post showed that the Canon S lenses actually do protrude more. Learn something new every day!
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD