Sustained Transfer Speed for Editing 5D files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 17th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sustained Transfer Speed for Editing 5D files

Hello Friends,

I'm building a new workstation and am going to use a RAID for my media drive.

Was wondering if anyone knew the minimum disk sustained transfer speed needed to edit the native 5D .h264 files in PPro CS5.5??? This way I have a set target to shoot for when configuring my RAID. For example, if 200+MB/sec is a good rate to edit comfortably in, I know exactly what kind of RAID to assemble to account for that speed while planning for redundancy.

On the same token, does anyone know the threshold speed where anymore speed wouldn't be noticeable?? For example, 500+MB/Sec would be overkill to edit .h264 files.

Thanks in advance for any help on this. Peace.
Marc de Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sustained Transfer Speed for Editing 5D files

Native files run about 6 megabytes/second, so... any raid is likely overkill. Even with a several layers of video you're still well within the capabilities of a single drive, and you're more likely to run up against your systems ability to decode simultaneous tracks of h.264 long before you'll hit the data rate ceiling on any raid.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD