5DMK3 Question - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 12th, 2012, 04:04 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: 5DMK3 Question

Are the SanDisk Secure Digital High Capacity Card Extreme Video HD 16GB cards good enough to record 1080p video from the 5DMK3?

The main 2 reasons I am buying a 5DMK3 are 1 because it's 2 stops better and 2 I dont have to go and buy a bunch of CF Cards as I have so many SanDisk ones.

Thanks
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:04 AM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tariq Peter View Post
The main 2 reasons I am buying a 5DMK3 are 1 because it's 2 stops better
I'm sorry, what does that mean?
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:20 AM   #33
Major Player

I believe he is referring to the 5D MKIII documented low light capability is 2f stops better than the previous 5D2 model. If you shot at 800 ISO max now you can go to 3600 ISO and still be just as clean noise wise.

I like this feature too, I am just a tiny bit concerned about the resolution not being that great. All of the videos they are letting out and none have been 1080p All-I. So I am still on the fence a little and wondering if I should cancel my pre-order. $3500 is a lot of money to me.
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tariq Peter View Post
Are the SanDisk Secure Digital High Capacity Card Extreme Video HD 16GB cards good enough to record 1080p video from the 5DMK3?...
Tariq - if you're talking about

, with an advertised 30MB/s read/write speed, you should be fine.

Canon USA says:

Quote:
HD 50 fps or 60 fps recording places the greatest demands on memory card speed, especially during ALL-I recording. Required read/write speed during HD 720p ALL-I recording for CF cards is 30 MB/sec; for SD cards, 14MB/sec.

Please et us know how your new Mark III works out when you get it.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Bill Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #35
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Montoto View Post
I believe he is referring to the 5D MKIII documented low light capability is 2f stops better than the previous 5D2 model. If you shot at 800 ISO max now you can go to 3600 ISO and still be just as clean noise wise.
wow, that would be awesome, need to test that as soon as it's available
Old March 12th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #36
Major Player

Apologies for the poor original post, but yes the 5D MKIII documented low light capability is 2f stops better than the 5D2. I will be placing my order today. I charge around £850 per event so after 4 events the camera should pay for itself and hopefully by my main tool for the next 2-3 years.
Old March 12th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
I am sure that is just a typo but that should be ISO3200. As we are already happy shooting at ISO3200 with the 5DII (provided it's correctly exposed) that means we could be shooting at ISO12800 & thus shooting at F/2.8 rather than F/1.4 which will make it easier keeping the scene in focus.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
I believe he is referring to the 5D MKIII documented low light capability is 2f stops better than the previous 5D2 model.
All the pixel peepers on the stills sites seem to be saying they see a 2/3 stop improvement. Do you know where the 2 stops is documented?
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #39
Major Player

It was from all of the original canon video reviews. I also saw it the evening of the launch by a original canon engineer/representative. He said that it was 2 stops cleaner, and made the comparison that I gave ISO800 = ISO3200 now in cleanliness. If you want just do a search on vimeo about canon mkIII reviews and you should find it. It was most of them telling what the benefits over the 5d2 were. I am headed out but I can look them up again if you need me to.
Old March 12th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
I am sure that is just a typo but that should be ISO3200. As we are already happy shooting at ISO3200 with the 5DII (provided it's correctly exposed) that means we could be shooting at ISO12800 & thus shooting at F/2.8 rather than F/1.4 which will make it easier keeping the scene in focus.
Yes it was a TYPO! Thanks for the correction!
Old March 12th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #41
Major Player

The 2/3 stop is coming from pixel peepers on the dpreview forum - but in looking at this it is for RAW photos. The balance of the 2 stops that Canon talked about is from improved noise processing, and is available with JPEG and video. So yes, it looks like we should be seeing really good low light performance with video.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #42
Major Player

That makes sense, I just read something about that too. The only thing that I saw that put me slightly on the fence is because people were talking about it being a tad softer than the 5d2. But after explanations about 5d2 having faux sharpening from camera processing and the 5d3 being able to sharpen lines to 1px wide I kept the preorder. We will see!
Old March 13th, 2012, 04:33 AM   #43
Major Player

I placed my order yesterday; the good news is the camera should arrive by the 16th! Of course my deposit is refundable so I won't be picking up till I have seen some reviews online. If I am happy I will go in and pay the reminder and if not it's a 5DMK2 for me! Please canon doesn’t let me down, I have held off buying the 5DMK2 for over a year and half waiting for this.

This looks nice.

Last edited by Tariq Peter; March 13th, 2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old March 14th, 2012, 05:18 AM   #44
Major Player

My 5DMK3 should be ready to be picked up this week and am still so nervous.

What is spinning round my mind is should I buy the 5MK3 body only or for the same price
5DMK2 + 24-70mm f/2.8L and 9x32GB Transcend CF Cards?

I already have a 35mm 1.4 Samayung.

The deposit is refundable...I was thinking about waiting till over the weekend as more reviews may be out then.
Old March 14th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #45
Major Player

Tariq, dont depend on reviews, they are simply an opinion that one person has of a piece of equipment. Handy to get a general idea of whats on offer. The only way to see if something is for you, is to test it out for yourself. Would you really buy a relatively expensive camera on the say of somebody else ? Why not wait a while and hire one for a weekend, and test the hell out of it. Satisfy yourself fully before you buy. You have good enough equipment to fulfill your current obligations, why rush, hell, there is bound to be something better out in the near future. If you need it, buy it, but never on somebody elses say so.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD