5DMK3 Question - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 14th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: 5DMK3 Question

Where have you ordered you 5DMK3 from? When you said that it would arrive by the 16th I assumed that you meant the 16th April. As far as I know while stores may receive stock before the date Canon have embargoed all sales until 22nd March.

The 5DMK3 is better in so many ways compared to the 5DMK2. It would be a mistake that you will regret if you were to buy into old technology. I am not a big fan of the 24-70mm F/2.8L lens & with the improved low light capability of the 5DMK3 will be using the 24-105mm F/4L IS which comes as the kit lens at a good price. If you buy a 5DMK3 you will probably be able to pick up the 24-105mm F/4L IS cheap as many people buy the body with kit lens & then sell the lens.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #47
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tariq Peter View Post
My 5DMK3 should be ready to be picked up this week and am still so nervous.

What is spinning round my mind is should I buy the 5MK3 body only or for the same price
5DMK2 + 24-70mm f/2.8L and 9x32GB Transcend CF Cards?

I already have a 35mm 1.4 Samayung.

The deposit is refundable...I was thinking about waiting till over the weekend as more reviews may be out then.
Tariq,

I have been using the 5D mk2 for 2.5 years and I have rarely been disappointed in any aspect of it. For the price, it is a phemomenal camera with very few drawbacks. I absolutely love the camera. It has done many incredible things, without the slightest problems. Over 20,000 video files shot through it. That being said, as I look at the upgrades, and would buy the Mark 3, without question. But that's me.
Old March 14th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Where have you ordered you 5DMK3 from? When you said that it would arrive by the 16th I assumed that you meant the 16th April. As far as I know while stores may receive stock before the date Canon have embargoed all sales until 22nd March.

The 5DMK3 is better in so many ways compared to the 5DMK2. It would be a mistake that you will regret if you were to buy into old technology. I am not a big fan of the 24-70mm F/2.8L lens & with the improved low light capability of the 5DMK3 will be using the 24-105mm F/4L IS which comes as the kit lens at a good price. If you buy a 5DMK3 you will probably be able to pick up the 24-105mm F/4L IS cheap as many people buy the body with kit lens & then sell the lens.
Jessops, I would like to look at the 24-105 on the 5DMK3 as the lens will effectively be a 24-105 f.2.8 on the 5DMK3 because of the extra 2 stop advantage the 5DMK3 brings us. Having a lens that versatile will be a massive advantage. If only there was a 16-105! Just a quick update, I had just tested both lenses and allthough the 24-105 does have a better zoom I prefer the bokeh on the 24-70.

And yes you are right the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L IS USM Lens is £100 cheaper if purchased with the 5DMK3 from Jessops. Still would like to wait to see if the 2 extra fstops that I am hearing about is actually true.

Last edited by Tariq Peter; March 15th, 2012 at 06:14 AM.
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #49
Trustee

Lenses are the most important part of any equipment, so if you do not yet have the best lenses for your needs or type of photography/filming, then I would suggest that you would be better off with the Mark II plus 24-70mm L or 16-35mm L lens.

That is of course, if you have enough money spare to afford the Mark III + 24-70mm... :)

There are some great features of the updated Mk3 version, such as easier continous filming, ability to use normal cable/wireless shutter release to control video start/stop, less problem with moire, up in resolution, and a few other great additions... but is it enough to fork out all the extra dosh? That is only a question that you can answer.
Old March 15th, 2012, 08:48 AM   #50
Trustee

Quote:
...I would like to look at the 24-105 on the 5DMK3 as the lens will effectively be a 24-105 f.2.8 on the 5DMK3 because of the extra 2 stop advantage the 5DMK3 brings us.
That is not quite true in reality, and will only be viable at the upper end of the ISO spectrum. At any medium-low ISO settings filmed in low light levels, the fast f1.2 - f/2.8 aperture lenses will still be needed for clean images or video.
Old March 16th, 2012, 06:01 AM   #51
Major Player

Samyang

Has anybody had any experience with the Samyang 85mm F1.4 and the Samyang 14mm 2.8? I can't find many reviews of the 16mm.

https://vimeo.com/34659918
Old March 16th, 2012, 06:25 AM   #53
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
...ability to use normal cable/wireless shutter release to control video start/stop...
Hi Tony

were did you read that? is it a mix up with 1Dx? I hope the 5D3 got that, but I have not read that anywere...
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 08:12 AM   #54
Inner Circle

Quote:
That is not quite true in reality, and will only be viable at the upper end of the ISO spectrum. At any medium-low ISO settings filmed in low light levels, the fast f1.2 - f/2.8 aperture lenses will still be needed for clean images or video.
It's got to be really dark for F/2.8 at ISO3200 not to be well exposed. We routinely shoot video on the 5DII using ISO3200 & provided it's correctly exposed the image is great. We will even drop the shutter speed down to 1/30 if necessary. It's better to have extra motion blur than be underexposed & grainy.
Old March 16th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #55
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
It looks like I was wrong. Earlier today I was speaking on the phone to a store who tell me that they will have a delivery of a batch of 5DMK3s tomorrow morning. I have paid a deposit on one & hopefully will be collecting tomorrow afternoon. The store is 100 miles from my home but as luck would have it I will be passing very near by this weekend while travelling to where I am staying for the gig we have on Sunday. I won't name the store just in case they are inadvertently breaking Canon's embargo. I will of course report back here tomorrow afternoon:-)
Old March 16th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #56
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Nord View Post
Hi Tony

were did you read that? is it a mix up with 1Dx? I hope the 5D3 got that, but I have not read that anywere...
No it is not a mix up. The 5D Mk3 now allows basic inexpensive shutter sytems, used originally to fire stills shots, to also start the video function.

For the past couple of years I have enabled remote start/stop Video mode function of my 5D Mk2 using the superb RM-40 Universal Camera Remote Control. The new Mk3 body however also allows many of my other remote devices to be used, both wired and wireless, or infared or radio, to start/stop the video mode.

Canon 5D Mark III – Shutter Starts Video Mode CheesyCam
Old March 16th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #57
Major Player

The Samyang 85 1.4 has some great reviews but not the 14mm f/2.8. It seems the 14mm is a little hit and miss as the sharpness may differ between each lens.
Old March 16th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #58
Major Player

Quote:
No it is not a mix up. The 5D Mk3 now allows basic inexpensive shutter sytems, used originally to fire stills shots, to also start the video function.

For the past couple of years I have enabled remote start/stop Video mode function of my 5D Mk2 using the superb RM-40 Universal Camera Remote Control. The new Mk3 body however also allows many of my other remote devices to be used, both wired and wireless, or infared or radio, to start/stop the video mode.

Canon 5D Mark III – Shutter Starts Video Mode CheesyCam
That's super cool! Now I can start building my remote UW trigger I've designed.
Old March 16th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #59
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tariq Peter View Post
The Samyang 85 1.4 has some great reviews but not the 14mm f/2.8. It seems the 14mm is a little hit and miss as the sharpness may differ between each lens.
I love med Samyang 14, but I use it on my 7D, never tried it on a FF... But will when my 5D3 arrives :)
I probably will get the 85 and 24 too. with my 35 I would love if Samyang would release a 50/1.4 or better a 1.2, and that would cover most of my basic needs...
Old March 16th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #60
Major Player

I think I may pay a little extra and go for the Tokina.
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD