DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   5DM2 and VAF-5D2 filter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/505916-5dm2-vaf-5d2-filter.html)

Daniel Weber March 6th, 2012 05:26 PM

5DM2 and VAF-5D2 filter

I have been filming for the past week in Brazil trying out the VAF-5D2 sensor filter. If you don't know about this product, here is a link to their website.

VAF-5D2 Optical Anti-Aliasing Filter

The filter works great except for a few small problems. It gets rid of moire and aliasing. I can now shoot a brick wall and not have any problems.

The only real problem that I have is when I use it with my EF 24-105 L lens. It works great on the long end of the lens, but when I am on full wide at 24mm, the only way I can get anything in focus is to have the lens at full macro and this only works as an infinity setting. I can't get closer than 5 feet or it will be out of focus. I tried it with my Sigma 28mm 1.8 macro lens and it works just fine. The problem seems to be at the wide end of the zoom on the 24-105. I can zoom in to about 35mm and the lens works fine then.

If you were mainly using prime lenses, then this filter is a must for you. If you can't afford a 5DM3 and want a Full Frame camera, then get a good deal on a 5DM2 and buy this filter. They run about $400 or so, but you might have to wait a while for it to arrive. Mine took about 2 months. They can't make them fast enough it seems.

Daniel Weber

Jon Fairhurst March 7th, 2012 01:40 AM

Re: 5DM2 and VAF-5D2 filter

Hi Daniel,

I found the same with the 16-35L II. It's good at 35mm and not good at 24mm. Is it sharp enough at 28mm? That's a judgement call. If there is no likely aliasing in the scene, I might take it out for a 28mm shot, but would rather have the softness than aliasing if the content had fine patterns.

I also notice that the VAF gives some focus field curvature. On the 16-35, it also makes the lens anything but parfocal - don't expect to zoom and maintain focus with the filter installed.

It's really a specialty tool. For a video interview where the lens is long and the shirt collar or jacket might alias, it's awesome. For traveling when you might want to shoot both photos and video as well as wide shots, I would probably leave it off the camera most of the time, inserting it only when shooting video at 35mm or longer when aliasing is likely. If it's a windy day where the sensor is likely to get dirty, I might skip it altogether when in the elements.

Also, it's really odd when you take the lens cap off and the image in the viewfinder is dark. The device locks the mirror up, so it only works in Live View.

Given my choice, I'll take a 5D3, please. :)

Luis de la Cerda March 7th, 2012 04:14 AM

Has anyone tried the 28mm f/1.8 with the vaf-5d2?

Daniel Weber March 7th, 2012 04:52 AM

Jon,

Thanks for the feedback. There are many pros and cons with the filter. I love being able to shoot video and not worrying about the "fine details" causing problems later on when I go to post. But I am finding that I am having to change the way that I shoot when the filter is in the camera. I love my 24-105 lens and the whole range of different perspectives that it provides when shooting documentary work. A wide angle is almost essential for the way that I typically shoot, but I also love being able to get those tight reaction shots. Now I find myself not being able to shoot at wide as I normally do, so I am focusing more on the details at the longer end of the lens.

The good news is that if I need a wide shot, I can throw on a fixed lens and not have any problems. I am curious to see how the VAF-5D2 would work with the new Samyang/Rokinon 24mm 1.4 lens. Having to change lenses does cause you to lose the moment though....

I can't wait to test the 5D2/VAF combo up against the 5D3 and see how they compare.

Daniel Weber

Jon Fairhurst March 7th, 2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luis de la Cerda (Post 1719466)
Has anyone tried the 28mm f/1.8 with the vaf-5d2?

Unfortunately, I sold my 28/1.8 just a few weeks before the VAF arrived. :(

Ken Diewert March 7th, 2012 02:56 PM

Phil bloom did a thorough review here

Moire and Aliasing no more?! A solution for the 5DmkII. Full review now up! | Philip Bloom

I haven't watched his video review for awhile, but as I recall, Phil mentions that softening begins below 35mm. I opted not to get the filter. I pick up most of my aliasing problems when shooting real estate, but thats when I shoot mostly in the 17-28mm range. It might be a handy thing to have at times though.

Daniel Weber March 8th, 2012 04:58 PM

Keith,

If you were to shoot with a fixed prime lens you wouldn't have any problems. I find that the focus issues show up on the wide end of zoom lenses.

I would think that the filter would be perfect for what you do since it works so well on brick and other materials that cause moire.

Just my .02,

Daniel

Jon Fairhurst March 8th, 2012 08:25 PM

Has anybody here tried it with the 24L or 24L II?

Daniel Weber March 8th, 2012 09:04 PM

I think that someone on another blog tried it with the new Rokinon (Samyang) 24 1.4 lens as well as the Sigma 24 1.8 lens and said that they both worked fine. I don't have the Canon 24 L to test out or I would.

I really think that the issue is with the zoom lenses.

I shot again today with the filter in Peru and it worked fine. I can zoom out to 28mm on the lens and still have it be very useful. I guess that I need to break down and get a 24mm fixed lens. Or get a 5D3, though I would like to see a test of the 5D3 vs. the 5D2/VAF combo.

Daniel

Luis de la Cerda March 9th, 2012 12:45 PM

I have tried the Sigma 20mm 1.8 and the corners are way blurry. After some experimenting, I've found out that part of the problem is that the filter changes the focal plane so that it's not flat anymore (not that it was flat in the 20 1.8 to begin with ;) ) So edges can appear less blurry if you compose so an object closer than the center focus distance fills the edge of the frame. Otherwise, the solution, as has been mentioned, is to stop down and increase the DOF, but where's the fun in that :) Plus the 20 1.8 becomes acceptable for infinity focus across the frame around f16, so that needs a lot of light.

I'll call my local Canon dealer to see if I can go and try the 28 1.8 with the filter. It might be the widest focal distance useable at 1.8.

Jon Fairhurst March 9th, 2012 01:07 PM

At work, we have the ZE 21/2.8. It's also too blurry with the VAF.

Manish Pandit May 3rd, 2013 12:48 AM

Just bought the antialiasing filter for the 5DMKII.
Amazed to find that it works for the 15mm prime 2.8f lens.
24-105 lens has problems at 24mm end, none at 105mm end.
As usual sharpness needs turning down to 0.
Moire and aliasing almost completely gone.