Video: 5D Mk. II compared to 5D Mk. III - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 29th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #46
Major Player

Re: Video: 5D Mk. II compared to 5D Mk. III

For stills, not only are there significant improvements in AF, but also in noise ISO between Mk II and Mk III. This may or may not be significant to you, but the low light of most wedding environments, I would suspect that it might be. My advice would be to spend ~$60/day and rent both bodies in a test environment that replicates what you typically shoot and make your judgement based upon that. Would be $ well-spent, IMHO.
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #47
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Covington View Post
The choice seems obvious given that I only shoot weddings and other social events along with music video's and EPK's, I honestly don't know that my clients would ever know the difference. I would love to get another lens or two with the money that I'm saving by keeping the M2.

Do any of you guys have a problem with the 12 minutes of video versus the 30 minutes on the MK3?

Does anyone know if the stills will be relatively the same on the M3? I know that it has the 61 point autofocus but with a 1 MP upgrade, is there much difference?
Personally I think that the obvious choice if you shoot weddings is the 5D3. The extra 2+ stops of low light capability are a tremendous advantage for low light venues. Not having to worry about moire & aliasing is a relief but for wedding shoots while we may worry about it our customers probably don't care. I have very occasionally been caught out with the 12 minute limit so doubtless I will also very occasionally be caught out with the 30 minute limit but any limit is only of real importance if you are going to be leaving the camera locked off & unattended. If you have it in your hands you can keep an eye on the duration & stop/restart at a convenient moment.

The quality of stills is pretty much indistinguishable aside from the fact that the AF system is so vastly improved that there are far fewer out of focus shots.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #48
Inner Circle

For video, you can get the VAF-5D2 to "eliminate" aliasing on 5D2 video, but it has two big limitations: it doesn't work with ultrawides, and you have to install/remove it when going between photos and video. Since you are clearly into photos, I think the 5D3 is the better package. You get improved AF, lower noise, and "no" aliasing when going quickly from photos to video and with ultrawide lenses.
Old May 30th, 2012, 02:58 AM   #49
Trustee

I don't think all this advice makes much difference. As in all walks of life, if you can afford it, get the best. Generally the very latest generations of any camera tends to have improvements on the previous models.

The Mark 3 upgrade is of course better than the Mark 2 in some areas, so it is the better choice if you have the money to buy the one/two/three bodies needed for your chosen line of work; although millions of professionals have used (and continue to use) the 5D Mk2 for a wide range of video/stills work, (including weddings and other social events along with music video's and EPK's) and are extremely happy with the results.

So, Maurice, after buying one or two 5D Mark III bodies, and you still have plenty of cash left over to purchase lenses and all the extra equipment required for photography & filming, then go ahead. If cash is short, then go for the previous model.

Try to not forget that many camera system items that fitted a previous model (in this case the Mk2) will not fit the later model (Mark 3), so always budget for the need to purchase these new items when, and if, you eventually decide to upgrade.

In my case, I needed to budget for extra battery grips, LCD finder loups, new underwater housings & glass ports, upgrade to 600 EX-RT Speedlite flash, new lenses etc., but did not have enough money for all those extras together with two separate new Mark 3 bodies.

So I remained with the Mark 2 system (and kept most of my original camera equipment & lenses), which enabled me to upgrade much-needed other system items such as another 5D Mk 2 body & Canon grip, an extra 500 EX II speedlight, 3 X extra Sony wireless mic units, two new extra lenses: EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L and AF 120-300mm f/2.8 HSM OS, a new Canon 2X Extender, some more UV, ND, and Polarising filters (77mm & 105mm), an extra tripod and another camera bag (Jeez, I've now got too many bags!).
Old June 6th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #50
Major Player

Hey guys

Could someone tell me about the 2 video formats the Canon5d Mark iii offers?

I have the Canon 5D ii and heard about the 2 new formats the new model has and I was wondering how they compare and if I'll need more memory cards?

I am about to sell my old Canon 5Dii and get the new one but need to know what to order quickly!
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #51
Inner Circle

I see no difference in video quality between the All-I (low compression) & IPB (high compression). Some testers have reported that perversely IPB is better. In theory All-I should be better for grading & editing.

If you stick with IPB then you will need fewer cards than with the 5D2 as the compression algorithm has been improved so that the video quality is at least as good but the bit rate is about 25% lower so you actually fill up the cards more slowly.
Old June 6th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #52
Major Player

Wow nice!

How are you likeing the 5D iii compared to the 5D ii ?

I hear the main thing is that you have to sharpen it in post to make it look like anything.

I am planning on getting it for film and commercial work.
Old June 6th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #53
Inner Circle

I think that it's previous owners of the 5D2 who really appreciate the improvements in the 5D3. It looks great straight out of the camera just like the 5D2 but is is possible to add quite a lot of sharpening in post to make the images really pop whereas with the 5D2 footage quickly breaks down if much sharpening is added.
Old June 7th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #54
Major Player

I just got mine on Tuesday and unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to use this camera due to the complexity of the Focus System. When I heard about this new system, being new to this camera, I thought how complex can it really be? Then I opened the manual and, wow!

I haven't even been able to see if this system is relevant for video or if you just use the single point focus. That being said, I'm glad to here that you guys are loving this camera. I am always surprised to hear that some consider the footage to be similar if not the same to the Mark II. I originally purchased the 7D and thought it a good idea to return the 7D and purchase the Mark II. For me I thought that the video on the 7D was a significant improvement; but thats just me. One of the things that I did notice just turning on the Mark III is that the ISO range far exceeds that or either camera and one would think that means that I can obviously do more in low light at higher settings. What I don't know is at what level of quality it can be done. This camera is going to challenge the little that I know about both videography and editing and take me to a new level. I am excited!!!
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #55
Trustee

I use both and love both, but if i don't have to go over ISO 800 I shoot with markII, but that's me :)
Old June 7th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #56
Major Player

I own the Canon 5D ii and would like the Canon 5D iii for these reasons. Do they seem like good reasons to those 5Diii owners out there? (Only use for video)

- 720p 60fps
- Less Moire and Anitliasing
- Higher Quality footage for grading
- better HDMI output for better focusing control
Old June 7th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #57
Trustee

oh yeah, you forgot the main reason - noticeably better low light, and you'll love non blackout HDMI out;
Old June 7th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #58
Major Player

Sweet!

I try to always use lighting for my work, but I am sure better low light will help available light situations.

I am almost ready to buy!

Can anyone recommend a good monitor for it?
Looking for a battery powered one that I can use on all day film shoots.
Can't wait.
Old June 7th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #59
Major Player

There are many monitors that you can use with this camera. Are you stationary or mobile? Just to name a few, I like the Small HD monitors a lot. I don't have one but, I do use a 7" Marshall Monitor when I am mobile but, If I am stationary, I will use a 23" HD Samsung.
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #60
Major Player

I am thinking about using the HDsmall DP6, 5.6" Monitor. Aparently the resolution is higher then the Marhall Monitors and it sounds like its the best for pulling focus - which is the main reason I need a monitor.

I'll be using it in remote locations, and in controlled studio situations.
Silas Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD