DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   5d mark ii, still work to buy @ $2200? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/506234-5d-mark-ii-still-work-buy-2200-a.html)

Dave Morgan March 19th, 2012 10:59 PM

5d mark ii, still work to buy @ $2200?

would you say its a bad idea or good idea for still buying a new 5D mark ii, for film, music video work?

Chris Barcellos March 19th, 2012 11:48 PM

Re: 5d mark ii, still work to buy @ $2200?

It will still do the same things it did before the Mark III came out. If you liked what it did then, why not.

If you want more low light capability in a big chip cmaera, with less noise, that would mean Mark III or Sony FS100-- or even the VG20. All these beat the 5D II in light handling with lower noise. And there is this feeling expressed by some that another camera more suited for video will be coming from Canon on March 31, 2012.

It is a fluid time, but I think, as with any camera, the Mark II is still nice camera for the dollars and will provide any skilled shooter willing to shoot around its issues, with great product.

Kawika Ohumukini March 20th, 2012 01:04 PM

I have a hammer that's 20 years old and it can still drive a nail. Get the tool that does the job. GL

Dave Morgan March 20th, 2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawika Ohumukini (Post 1722087)
I have a hammer that's 20 years old and it can still drive a nail. Get the tool that does the job. GL

thanks, ill get out my 20 year old vhs-c camcorder and use that. good info

John Vincent March 20th, 2012 05:12 PM

Refurbed from Canon direct is less than two grand...

And while I would (and have) use a Canon DSLR for short videos and commercials, to use one for a full length narrative at this point doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me (unless of course the small form factor is a key consideration), if that is what you were going to use it for.

And I'd wager that prices will continue to fall, perhaps another 15-20% as even more "next gen" cameras hit from Canon (and their competitors).

Kevin McRoberts March 29th, 2012 07:51 AM

Since the Mk3's intro, I've seen 5D2's selling on eBay for around $1200-1500... I've been seriously considering picking one up just to have one for those few jobs where a Canon DSLR is a "must have," and for those full-frame aesthetic B-roll shots or the like.

A little disheartening that it won't work with some of my Leica primes, but oh well.

Tony Davies-Patrick March 29th, 2012 09:14 AM

Kevin, you could still use your M39 or Leica R lenses on the 5D Mk2 & Mk3 by using a cheap Leica to EOS EF mount adapter.

Kevin McRoberts March 29th, 2012 11:00 AM

I've read elsewhere that certain Leica R's (generally wide and fast, ie, my Summilux 35) will still obstruct the mirror.

Tony Davies-Patrick March 29th, 2012 11:22 AM

The Summilux-R 35mm will not clear the mirror, but the Summicron R 35mm fits the Canon 5D Ok.

Here is a nice database of Leica-R and Leitz-R to Canon EOS compatibility:

SPECIFIC LEICA-R LENSES WHICH MAY NOT WORK ON A CANON dSLR

Brian Brown March 29th, 2012 06:36 PM

Dave, I'm assuming you mean whether to buy a MkII at "yard-sale" prices vs. buying a new MkIII. Only you can know if the longer runtime (29:59 vs. around 12:00), reduced moire', extra sensitivity/reduced noise, headphone jack, and stills autofocus enhancements make it worth the add'l premium (perhaps double the cost).

That difference between the two could buy you some nice glass... or the moire' of the MkII might be a deal-breaker for certain shots (fabrics, bricks, water... we've all seen it) for you.

Thanh Nguyen March 31st, 2012 01:42 AM

I want to say something that I saw with my own eyes and happen on my own camera. The 5dm2 or 60d will record to 29min59sec if you closed your cap on your lens. It not that It can only record 12min. You have to say that the file structure of FAT can only have a 2gb files size which roughly 12min less or more depend on detail of your footage. Nice about the mkiii is that when your record reach 2gb file size it auto reset record so you don't have to hit record again some lost frame it not meant to be as one continues take . Which magic lantern have this feature. And why the camera can only record 29:59 because it a camera and not camcorder if it can record more than 30min then it consider a camcorder and that tax differently in some country so they want to keep it as a camera. I hope that help some of you