5D MK III lens - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:46 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: 5D MK III lens

Can anybody please confirm that there are no hidden options in Menu to fire off stills when the normal shutter button of Mark3 is in operation for Start /Stop video function? It seems that it locks the ability to shoot stills using either the button or remote.
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #17
Tourist

John thanks for the advice I went with the EF 100-400 IS and the 70-200 2.8 IS Also what do you think about the 24-70 2.8 is the new one worth the wait and extra $$. Thanks again
Robert Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #18
Major Player

For wildlife, those two choices really are the best.

As for the 24-70 - its a new design entirely, and its extremely pricey for the performance right now. 24-70 mkI is great already, not worth the big price hike on improvements that benefit photogs more. Not a bad thing at all and the lens should be a good bit better, but you might just want to wait for Tamron's 24-70 IS to see if it is any good before pulling the trigger. IS in that focal range would be fantastic imo.
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Rob,

Have you considered a 1.4x Extender? It's compatible with both your lenses. On the 100-400, it would extend your range to 560mm.

I used to own the 2x Extender II. It was a bit soft for my taste and it slowed the autofocus on the 200/2.8L II. I'd recommend the 1.4x, rather than getting greedy like I did with the 2x. :)

I'm not sure if the 1.4x III is worth the extra money, compared to the II, but it might be worth it on the slower 100-400 lens. Fortunately, the ISO range of the 5D3 should make the 100-400 with 1.4x Extender very usable. For your application, I think it's a great value.
Old March 27th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #20
Tourist

Jon I did order the 1.4x III after reading you first post. I already have the 2x .I think I will be happier with the 1.4x Thanks again for your advice
Old March 27th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Can I assume that your 2x is the Mark II?

If you would, please share your opinion of how the two compare. Thanks!
Old March 27th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #22
Tourist

Yes Jon it is the 2x II. I will let you know my opinion should have it by Friday so I will try it over the weekend.
Old March 28th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Tony,

Since you recommend not spending the money on IS, could you share with us your tripod gear and technique recommendations?
whenever I touched the pan handle. This was on a very good tripod (Vinten 3AS with 2 stage aluminum legs and a floor spreader)
I've got a Vinten vision 6 and I use with a 400mm with good results. 200mm is easy and I don't worry at all. you have to set the drag, counter balance and actual camera balance correctly. that head is kind of light.

to handle big glass you have to have a quality head and legs. having shot at 560mm its even more picky. the most minute bits of input will have big image changes. wind can also cause problems and outside of blocking it, you then simply need lots of mass to resist it.

its funny but I see expensive cameras with expensive glass mounted on some really cheap tripods, ALL the time. its easy to spend on the glamour items, but most folks have a hard time spending the utility items that will work with their next couple of cameras. a good head / tripod is one of them.

using IS can result in weird lagging and catch up effects. while it may count for stills, for video it can really work against you.
Old March 29th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Maybe it depends on the application. This afternoon I setup for an event tomorrow morning. I now have the mid-level spreader and spikes on the Vinten 3AS with 2 stage aluminum legs. I have a ten pound weight on the ground, hanging from the hook. Using the 70-200/2.8L IS II, it's still better with IS on. But part of the reason might be the style of panning while following a speaker at a podium. My approach is to be very subtle and gentle, letting the speaker lead the way, rather than trying to follow every move. Sometimes the speaker will start moving and quality come back, so my measured approach keeps me from ping-ponging.

Anyway, when easing in and out of the pans slowly, there's no kickback from the IS.

On the other hand, with my 100L handheld, I'm more aggressive and I see the lag and overshoot. Still, it improves things. I can see where on a tripod (which gives stability) and faster movements (which can show more lag), IS could be a negative.

Anyway for events with speakers doing the PowerPoint thing, I find IS to be essential for really smooth operation - even on a good (3AS) setup.
Old April 1st, 2012, 09:00 AM   #25
Major Player

Some good suggestions already given.

The Canon 100-400 is a good lens. For still photography I love my primes, however, a zoom is really helpful in getting different focal lengths and perspectives.

I use a Canon EF 400mm f2.8 L IS USM lens. It is heavy at 5.3kgs. When I tried my Gitzo GT3530 LSV tripod with wimberly V2 head for filming, it felt terrible. Of course there were a couple of vertical moves, it got well with this tripod. Then i decided to splurge and buy the Sachtler CF100 ENG HD 2 CF and a OConnor 1030 HDs fluid head. However, it is not easy carrying these heavy stuff in the field during treks. However, the quality of pans that you get is very nice. Of course you need to set up the counterbalance of your camera and lens well, else you will be fighting against it.

You can use the 1.4x II TC with the 100-400 lens. The quality drops a bit. However, you get a good focal length.

If you are using the 100-400 at its native focal length, then I would prefer the 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM (new one) plus the 2xII or 2xIII TC. This lens is a very sharp lens. I prefer this over the previous version. I had done the review of both the versions. Giving the link to the 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM lens. Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM Review

I use a 1D Mark IV for filming. I have sent the FEL button to start recording video. So it becomes easy to shift between stills and video mode. When I need to shoot still, I had to quickly turn the dial to increase the shutter speed and click. Not easy, as even with a heavy triopd and fluid head 1/50 though stable for my long lens (I use a 2xII TC with my 400mm f2.8 L IS USM lens with excellent results), the low shutter speed is not enough to freeze subject motion.

Initially I used to use IS for filming (in my 400mm f2.8 L IS USM with 2xII TC) and found the image jumping. So stopped using it and am fine. The 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM lens works well with IS during filming.

Sabyasachi
Old April 1st, 2012, 10:35 AM   #26
Trustee

Thank you for that great input, Sabyasachi.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD