DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   New 5d3 - Now what? EVF or LCDVF or Zfinder? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/506434-new-5d3-now-what-evf-lcdvf-zfinder.html)

Steve Montoto March 27th, 2012 02:09 PM

New 5d3 - Now what? EVF or LCDVF or Zfinder?

Is the new screen on the 5d3 improved to the point that I would just need a loop when available? Or do you guys think that the Zacuto EVF or like is still the way to go? Thoughts?

Also do you guys have any insight on what will be available as in loops?

Bill Pryor March 27th, 2012 03:10 PM

Re: New 5d3 - Now what? EVF or LCDVF or Zfinder?

You can get the Zacuto Z-finder and then later on if you want the EVF buy it. The Z-finder snaps on and off the EVF with ease. I have a frame on my camera too, so I can just use the Z-finder alone or snap it off and put it on the EVF. Because the Zacuto EVF has nice edge sharpening, it's fairly easy to follow focus if you're by yourself. Also, you can tilt it in whatever direction you want, very nice for low angles. If those two things aren't necessary to you, then you might not really need it.

Tariq Peter March 27th, 2012 04:45 PM

I wish Canon had just added peaking to the 5DMK3. Having spent 3k on a camera I now also now need to buy an EVF to help me focus.

Steve Montoto March 27th, 2012 04:56 PM

Thanks Bill. Do any of you know if besides the peaking etc, the 5dmk3 screen is better resolution than the Zacuto Evf? Im just curious how much better the screen upgrade is from the mk2.

Les Wilson March 27th, 2012 05:00 PM

Steve, I first bought the LCDVF because I liked the magnet and anti screen burn technologies. But it has no diopter and I couldn't get it to work with my eyes. The 5DM3 does not change the Canon approach of switching the LCD to standard definition while recording.

For my 5DM2, I got the Zacuto Z-finder pro and I'm glad I did. It's the standard for a reason. I think you'll find shooting with a loupe to limit creativity wrt to camera position. The EVF solves that and gives you more shooting positions not just comfortable viewing positions. Also, the focus and exposure assists in the EVF are a great relief for DSLR filming. But, as I'm sure you realize, adding these things puts you in range of something like an FS-100. YMMV

@Tariq, Exposure assist is the next thing you'll miss from a camcorder. :-)

Robert Turchick March 27th, 2012 05:09 PM

I have the SmallHD DP4 EVF along with the 5D mkIII.

The LCD's seem comparable and are both hi-res enough to pull accurate focus with the loupe.
I have a Z-Finder that I normally use on my 7D which I held up to the 5D LCD and it seemed about the same.
Problem is the Z-Finder is too small for the 5D LCD which is a touch larger than the 7D. Hopefully Zacuto should be releasing a version soon.

The main reason I went with the EVF was to have adjustable angles and positions. My Z-finder/7D rig works great but there are those times when I can't bend my body or neck to get the camera and viewfinder in the right place. Not an issue with the SmallHD.

Also, the EVF's have hdmi loops which means my clients can watch either on a TV or my field monitor. Can't do that with just a loupe.

I've read good things about the Zacuto EVF and can say only great things about the SmallHD. Either would work great!

Steve Montoto March 27th, 2012 05:19 PM

Thanks guys. I feel better now about having to spend another 1k for EVF. It looks like to be quite a few upgrades from the factory lcd.

Daniel Weber March 31st, 2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Turchick (Post 1723470)
Problem is the Z-Finder is too small for the 5D LCD which is a touch larger than the 7D. Hopefully Zacuto should be releasing a version soon.

I called Zacuto and asked about Z Finders working with the 5DM3. They are releasing new snap on frames in a few weeks (hopefully by NAB) that will work on the 5DM3.

Daniel Weber

Franklin Bencosme April 1st, 2012 08:04 AM

This has been my better and not to $$$$$ solution for my 5D-7D and 60D !! this one so cheap
and with DIOPTER option !! after install this ,MY FOCUS LIFES CHANGE..

Nigel Barker April 1st, 2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklin Bencosme (Post 1724308)
This has been my better and not to $$$$$ solution for my 5D-7D and 60D !! this one so cheap
and with DIOPTER option !! after install this ,MY FOCUS LIFES CHANGE..

Amazon.com: Flashpoint LCD Foldaway Viewfinder 3X magnification: Camera & Photo

I have one of these sold under the brand name NEEWER for my 5D2. They are great value & very decent optically. They are not as robust as a Z-Finder but are a fraction of the price.

Unfortunately it uses a stick on frame that does not fit the larger LCD on the 5D3. In fact I am not sure that any stick on frame is going to be entirely suitable for the 5D3 as there is very little space around the LCD to glue on a frame without cropping off some of the view.

Franklin Bencosme April 1st, 2012 11:42 AM

I agree with you on the 5d and 7d the stick frame is a little small,for the 60d is Excellente

Charles W. Hull April 1st, 2012 12:29 PM

I have the Zacuto stick on frame on my 5DII and am thinking about removing this before I sell the 5DII to upgrade to a 5DIII. Does anyone have experience or advice about removing these stick on frames?

Wayne Avanson April 4th, 2012 03:02 PM

Charles there was a film on the Zacuto Vimeo channel about removing the Z-Finder frame. Squashing the long sides towards each other I think was the gist of it. And if it breaks, tell them and they'll send you a new one.

I have the EVF and the Z-finder for my 5D2 and/or 7D and as Bill says, it's great to use on the frame on cam or on the frame on the EVF. When on camera, the LCD pixels are noticeable through the loupe but they're not on the EVF. Also as previously stated I also got the EVF so I could have a flip round screen when I need it, peaking, focus assist, looping hdmi etc…

Incidentally I found a loupe called the Seagull for a fraction of the price which fits the Zacuto frame too, so I can have that on the 7D as well if I need it. I think the magnification on the Seagull is 2.8

Steve Montoto April 4th, 2012 03:15 PM

Well I got the Zfinder EVF Flip version. Its definitely not as compact a just the lcdvf and stickon. But it looks good and is built like a tank with the focusing assist functions. I am going to give it a trial run next weekend on a shoot and we will see how it does run and gun.

Steve Montoto April 15th, 2012 09:35 AM

Could someone with the Zacuto Evf give me a little advise. I used it yesterday and have a couple questions.

Used on Canon Mk3 btw.
1. Having problems with between showing camera info and screen size. I would like to show the info and have the screen full frame, but I haven't been able to do it.

2. Anyone have issues with the zacuto battery? I showed 2 bars left and the EVF shut off while I was recording. Had to change the battery.

3. What peaking level are you using? 3 seems a little strong

Other than the viewing size of the screen getting small when I display info I line the peaking and zoom functions.

Charles W. Hull July 7th, 2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles W. Hull (Post 1724360)
I have the Zacuto stick on frame on my 5DII and am thinking about removing this before I sell the 5DII to upgrade to a 5DIII. Does anyone have experience or advice about removing these stick on frames?

Just a note - I did end up removing the Zacuto stick on Z-Finder frame from my 5DII, and used a trick I'd learned about removing 3M sticky tape hangars - DENTAL FLOSS! Dental floss easily works under a corner of the frame and you can slide it under all the frame and remove it, with no damage to the 5DII.

Also, Zacato does not yet have a stick on frame for the 5DIII's 3.2 inch display but their web site says it's under development. They do have a 3.2 inch version of the regular Z-Finder frame.

Scott Stoneback July 14th, 2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tariq Peter (Post 1723465)
I wish Canon had just added peaking to the 5DMK3. Having spent 3k on a camera I now also now need to buy an EVF to help me focus.

YES! I went through the menus twice to make sure that I didn't miss the setting. What a bummer, my eye is having a tough time to focus off the back screen, with Zacuto Zfinder.

Nigel Barker July 15th, 2012 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Stoneback (Post 1743413)
YES! I went through the menus twice to make sure that I didn't miss the setting. What a bummer, my eye is having a tough time to focus off the back screen, with Zacuto Zfinder.

The 5D3 is a stills camera that has a sideline in video. It's not surprising that it doesn't have peaking. It doesn't have zebras or continuous autofocus either.

Scott Stoneback July 15th, 2012 06:03 AM

Even though the MarkIII has a "sideline in video" (which I disagree with)... the argument can be made that the camera has so blurred the lines between a stills cam and video cam that omitting basic tools is a letdown. Continuous autofocus, I get, because it is impossible to use the 3D autofocus engine with the mirror up. The camera has to focus in 2D, a different focus procedure (that's my limited understanding of the 5D's autofocus, anyway).

However, I would imagine that peaking would be possible... indeed desired by engineers. Here is the reason: if you make a camera that has a function (video in this instance) why hamstring an operator with a difficult to focus monitor? If your monitor is difficult to view, it's almost as if, "whats the point of that monitor?"

Oh, wait... I said desired by engineers, not actual operators in the field! My mistake. Engineers always know best when it comes to real-world function. I forgot that! That's why we get a little zoom button (that doesn't even function while recording, and is placed in the most inconvenient spot on the camera body).

The 5D has been around for a while now and these basic functions should be worked out. After all, the camera is marketed as a tool for video, not just stills. I am using it in a capacity where I need it to be small and light... I can't be running around with stuff ganked all over it. Otherwise, I would have an EVF on there.

Don't get me wrong, this is an amazing little camera. I love it (although I would love a C300 more, if I could afford it). But man, the fact remains: it is a pain in the arse to focus. That is a basic problem that needs to be worked out. I mean, come on! Focusing? It should be a priority in design, not an afterthought.

Sabyasachi Patra July 19th, 2012 08:36 AM

I absolutely agree that it is a pain to focus using a loupe. Unfortunately, even the 1D C - which is a 4k camera albeit in DSLR form factor - doesn't have zebras or peaking. Since I am waiting for this camera, it is a bit frustrating that despite the high price, certain features are still missing.

Jim Newberry December 10th, 2012 08:37 PM

Anyone tried this one?

Kinotehnik LCDVF3C 3.2" LCD Viewfinder LCDVF3C B&H Photo

Tim Polster December 11th, 2012 11:25 AM

I recently purchased a Zacuto Loupe for $375 for use with the 5DMKIII. I tried it and found the magnification was too much. The screen was too big to see the entire frame easily. Even though I adjusted the diopter to get the image sharp, something was not comfortable. The on-off procedure was a bit involved as well.

I returned it and then tried the Carry Speed loupe for $150. I like this better and have decided to keep it. It is comfortable with my vision and the magnified screen is a little less large so you can see the entire frame easily in your vision. The on-off procedure is very quick.

VF-3 Universal LCD View Finder by Carry Speed | Carry Speed Store

There is enough detail to find focus. Sure, it is not as good as an EVF but the loupe is great for outdoor work and does not need a battery!

Chris Hurd December 11th, 2012 02:54 PM

Curious about the Alphatron EVF-035W-3G as well.

Nigel Barker December 12th, 2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1767548)

It looks great but at $1400 you could buy nearly 10 Carry Speed loupes for the money. It even makes the Zacuto EVF look cheap. Adding the cost to that of the 5D3 you may as well buy a C100 (which also might benefit from a decent EVF but you know what I mean:-)

Keith Marley December 12th, 2012 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1767548)

Hi Chris,

I just received mine and to be honest my opinion is it is overpriced. The focus assist is very useful don't get me wrong and the resolution of the screen is decent enough, but I can't help feel that it is priced at the wrong point. I also find that when I am panning there is an image delay and the movement is far from smooth in the image.

To be fair I haven't really explored its functionality fully and the features I have looked at are decent, just at nearly a £1000 i perhaps expected at least a robust design apart from the features - it feels very cheap to me. It also wasn't giving out the proper readout as to what resolution and framerate I was shooting at....I have updated the firmware this morning, so hopefully that will remedy it. I am on a shoot on saturday (my first ever DSLR shoot!!!) so will report back as to my feelings on this EVF in the field.

Keith

Keith Marley December 24th, 2012 07:59 AM

just as an update on the Alphatron EVF after my first proper shoot - my opinion of it has not changed - overpriced for what it is.

The eye piece does not fit around your eye properly - I know that I am not the first to mention this.
The screen looks sharp, however when looked at with the diopter down the image is soft - I have tried adjusting it with the focusing ring on it, but it makes no difference.
There is a half second delay of the image (the manufacturers claim that there is not delay at all....certainly not true for mine). The read out states that I am shooting 1080 60i when in fact i was shooting 1080 25p - the read out didn't change when I change the size of the movie in the 5d settings. Once i had done the firmware upgrade the audio level meters stopped working. Unless there are issues with my 5D I can't help but feel i have wasted a lot of money on this.
So for nearly a £1000, I would say look elsewhere

Nigel Barker December 25th, 2012 03:08 AM

If the Alphatron doesn't work as advertised why don't you return it for a refund? I know that I would. There is too much gear that is rushed to market unfinished so that purchasers end up as beta testers.

Les Wilson December 25th, 2012 04:51 AM

I abandoned the Z-Finder. The fundamental problem is the ergonomics of the 5DMx. Even a loupe on the screen doesn't change the problem that it's difficult to hold and operate straight off your face either handheld or on a tripod (especially). I mean think about it, one of the first things you learn in photography is to move away from the standing position. But you can't do that very well when you have to have the cameras up against your face.

I switched to the SmallHD DP4 and it revolutionized filming with a DSLR. It actually made it tolerable. I can place the camera where I want it and not be craning my neck, looking into the VF sideways or crawling on my hands and knees. It has unbelievably better focus peaking than any camera or monitor I've used and it has false colors for exposure. Both can be asigned to buttons so there's no menu groping. I bought the package that includes the snap on/rotating VF and sun shield. YMMV

Josh Bass December 25th, 2012 05:05 AM

There's one called the Swivi I just read about. . .same idea as Z-finder (mounts on plate/rods, etc.), but it's $150. Wonder if any of you have used or heard about it. I believe I read something about the issues being cropping (covering some of the LCD frame on certain cams) and that the frame of the device didn't sit snug against the LCD, leaving a small gap that was killer in bright daylight. Will not swear to any of that being true.

Les Wilson December 25th, 2012 05:21 AM

Seems like those shortcoming defeat the whole purpose of getting a camera with near 100% framing. Add a problematic light leaker and it's headed for the garbage can pretty fast.

Tony Davies-Patrick December 25th, 2012 07:44 AM

In my view it is far better to use a very high quality loup that can be fitted to the 5D and most other cameras by simply gluing it permanently to a cheap viewfinder shade. It is also a cheaper and better quality option than buying a Zacuto, Hoodman or similar units.

I use a clip mount. This was made by removing the shade flaps on a LCD 5D pop-up shade (bought for a few pounds or dollars on Ebay) and then simply glueing the high quality loup to the LCD shade mount (a thin line of liquid rubber is squeezed along the edges of the loup frame to form a light-tight fit).

The loup can then be slipped on & off the camera in seconds. No need for silly bands or magnets to hold it in place. It just clips firmly into place by sliding over the viewfinder eyepiece. If you even upgrade your camera in the future, to a 5D mark 4 or Mark 5 etc, just buy another cheap LCD shade and fit your original loup to it. One quality loup should last you a lifetime.

One of the highest quality loups is the superb models made by Hassleblad and is what I prefer to use on my 5D cameras.
The Hasselblad Chimney Loup is well made (of metal and glass) and very sharp with inbuilt magnification of the image on the focusing screen at 2.5x for a full-frame view of the screen, without the need for moving the eye, and it also manually adjusts from 3.5 to -2.5 diopters. For photos of my Hassleblad on the older 5D MK2, view this previous DVinfo thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...-took-lcd.html

Josh Bass December 25th, 2012 01:54 PM

That's some stuff I READ about the Swivi. The reviews in the above-posted Amazon link may say differently; many folks on there seem very satisfied with it. I'd certainly look into one in the future.

Right now I have the $80 "Sock Loupe", which may seem/look ridiculous, but hey, it works. I do have to wrestle with it occasionally to get it back in place when it moves, but for someone only occasionally using a DSLR, who doesn't find it worth it right now to invest in a zacuto, it's a pretty good solution. As for anything involving adhesives, I wouldn't go down that route again. My LCDVF $40 knockoff looked great, worked great. . .except for that. Couldn't get the adhesive to to adhere. Unless the actual LCDVF has much better adhesive, I'd trust rubber bands or mounting plates first.

Tony Davies-Patrick December 25th, 2012 03:51 PM

With my Hasselblad Chimney Loup there is no glue needed to keep it on the 5D live-view screen, nor sticky frames or elastic bands, or magnets.

The Hasselblad is joined permanently to a separate mount that clips into place by sliding into the side grooves of the original Canon viewfinder.

Josh Bass December 25th, 2012 04:00 PM

That is interesting. Just did a google search for Hasselblad Chimney Finder. . .looks like they run about $100?

I guess I never noticed the 5D had any kind of grooves around the LCD to slip anything into (I don't have a cam in front of me at the moment).

Liquid rubber sounds like the questionable part of that formula. . .how secure is that bond? Vulnerable to heat, moisture, etc.?

Tony Davies-Patrick December 25th, 2012 04:33 PM

Josh, take a look at this video (scroll halfway down page) on this earlier DVinfo thread to see a DIY job. In place of the Hoodman shown in the video clip, I use the much higher quality Hasselblad chimney loup.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...ml#post1507304

In the video it shows the thin plastic clear protector panel on the LCD pop-up shade left in place, but I have removed this because it scratches easily and I would rather have a cleaner image viewed through the Hassleblad finder.

I sometimes fit and remove the Hasselblad many times a day during a hectic photo/video session, so also have a JYC Optical Glass Protector permanently in place over the 5D LCD screen.

Josh Bass December 25th, 2012 06:54 PM

Watched the video with sound off (im in the presence of company and, as you can see by this posting, am obviously very engaged with them). I never saw him actually attach the shade to the cam-- i still dont see how it attaches. You mentioned some kind of groove or something? Ive never noticed it/them.

Josh Bass December 26th, 2012 01:46 AM

Ah. Ok. Got my hands on the 5dm2, and now I see how the little rubbebr cup around the optical eyepiece slides off and the pop up shade can slide on.

I still have my lcdvf knockoff and could try that with one of those cheap shades (and mess with the hasselblad loupe later if desired).

There are a couple different price points for the shades on ebay ($11, $25). Is there one you'd recommend?

Also, specifically what adhesive did you use to attach the loupe to the frame? Keep in mind I'm in the US so available products might be different here.

Nigel Barker December 26th, 2012 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1769529)
I abandoned the Z-Finder. The fundamental problem is the ergonomics of the 5DMx. Even a loupe on the screen doesn't change the problem that it's difficult to hold and operate straight off your face either handheld or on a tripod (especially). I mean think about it, one of the first things you learn in photography is to move away from the standing position. But you can't do that very well when you have to have the cameras up against your face.

I don't buy this argument. Stills photographers have no problem shooting with a camera jammed up against the face.

Nigel Barker December 26th, 2012 02:49 AM

To pick up on a couple of other points.

The Swivi & Carryspeed loupes are the same thing.

Glueing a decent loupe to a cheap sunshade is an ingenious solution & I am surprised that no one offers this commercially. However the only sunshades available are for the 5D2 & they won't fit the larger screen of the 5D3.

Josh Bass December 26th, 2012 03:10 AM

Good to know about the swivi/carryspeed

Luckily the cam I have access to (via the girlfriend) is an M2, so with the cost of the shade and some liquid rubber, I can try that out with my LCDVF knockoff.