LCD Monitor for 5D? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 30th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #1
Major Player

LCD Monitor for 5D?

Hi Guys,
I have the 5D mark2 and thinking about getting the Mark3 -

Also thinking about getting a monitor for helping to pull focus, can you guys suggest one that runs on batteries for all day shoots?

Also - Getting actual brightness and colors from the 5D would be nice (I am not sure how it works but I have a cheap monitor right now and if you change the brightness of the screen the recorded image is all off)

Maybe a Marshall Monitor?

Thanks!
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: LCD Monitor for 5D?

I haven't bought one but I've shopped it. I like the Zacuto EVF with the Z-Finder Pro. That gives you the option of using it as a VF. THe SmallHD DP4 is another popular one (also has a loupe like the Z-Finder) I see mentioned here by people. Search on those two here on DVInfo and you'll find a plethora of information.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #3
Major Player

I guess I should mention that the Peaking thing is something I really want, and I already have the Zacuto Zoom Piece which is great but still hard to pull focus sometimes. The monitor would also allow other crew members to see whats going on....
Old March 30th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Major Player

SmallHD also makes the DP6. It's a different beast altogether than the EVFs from them or Zacuto, since it's so much larger, but much higher-definition. 1280x800 native vs. only 800x480 for their DP4.

5.6in 1280x800 On-Camera Field Monitor - the DP6 by SmallHD

Something to consider...
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Major Player

Smaller then 7" Marshall? More Expensive? No Peaking? No thanks? Lol haha thanks anyways
Old March 30th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #6
Major Player

The 7" Marshalls are 800x480, also. But if you want to dismiss something that has over 3 TIMES the resolution because of its cost, go right ahead. Size isn't everything.

And check the specs. And the SmallHD does have focus assist, exposure assist, 1:1 pixel mapping, etc.

I OWN a 7" Marshall but will be UPgrading to the DP6 soon.
Old March 30th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #7
Major Player

I did not see peaking in the specs but I'll check again, thanks for letting me know that!

Do you think the higher resolution will matter much as far as the 5D which I understand puts out a SD signal while recording?
Old March 30th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #8
Trustee

I have the SmallHD EVF and my buddy has the DP6. Both have peaking and false color, HDMI loop-thrus for your client monitor and are very good for pulling focus. I chose the EVF since I do a lot of outdoor stuff and my buddy tends to do indoor.
The 5DmkIII stays HD while recording.
We both own Zacuto Z-finders for our 7D's and they work well but limit where you can put the camera as they are attached to it. They work great on a shoulder rig.
I am toying with getting the Jag35 remote follow focus. that would allow me to use the 5DmkIII on my crane! And if I get really creative, my Glidecam! I'll look like a Borg with the EVF attached to the vest!
Anyway, SmallHD is good stuff.
Old March 30th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #9
Major Player

Interesting....
Is the Viewfinder or a monitor better for Pulling Focus you think?

The Monitor/EVF looks pretty good now that I see the full specs :
SmallHD - Innovative - Affordable - High Definition Field Monitors backed by our Famous Customer Service
Old March 30th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #10
Major Player

If you have the 5D2, you are indeed stuck with SD during record, and you'll be better pulling focus with marks (and a proper follow focus rig) than with your eyes. I'd prefer a monitor over a viewfinder for studio work, but prefer a viewfinder and loupe in the field. It's also more incognito that way, and less likely to get people do silly things, like mugging for the camera.

This is an expensive disease we have!
Old March 30th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #11
Major Player

I would rather have a monitor that works in the sun myself, that way more crew members can see on the same monitor and that would be helpful for what I do. I shoot indoors and outdoors though.

You don't think that a SD signal would be very good for pulling focus with the 5D Brian?

Does anyone know if these monitors are good in the sun outside?

And does the 5Diii have SD output like the 5Dii does anyone know (during recording)?
Old March 30th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Barker View Post
And does the 5Diii have SD output like the 5Dii does anyone know (during recording)?
Please read post #8

And the SmallHD monitors come with a sun hood which makes them very useable outdoors. The EVFs are better outdoors IMHO.
Old April 1st, 2012, 02:31 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Turchick View Post
I have the SmallHD EVF and my buddy has the DP6. Both have peaking and false color, HDMI loop-thrus for your client monitor and are very good for pulling focus. I chose the EVF since I do a lot of outdoor stuff and my buddy tends to do indoor.
The 5DmkIII stays HD while recording.
We both own Zacuto Z-finders for our 7D's and they work well but limit where you can put the camera as they are attached to it. They work great on a shoulder rig.
I am toying with getting the Jag35 remote follow focus. that would allow me to use the 5DmkIII on my crane! And if I get really creative, my Glidecam! I'll look like a Borg with the EVF attached to the vest!
Anyway, SmallHD is good stuff.
Does the battery for the Small HD gear last long? (EVF and Monitor)
Also I know the EVF is probably better for outside, but is the monitor useable outside without a hood?
Thanks!
Silas
Old April 2nd, 2012, 02:26 AM   #14
Major Player

just used the DP6 yesterday under the intense Malian sun. the hood works great and the batteries (i use 2 5D batteries) last a long time- 4 hours i think? have never had to change batteries.
there are 2 different focus aids (i use the peaking) and false colors. the monitor automatically keeps the image full screen when hitting record with the MK2. it is possible to pull focus even when the MK2 switches to lower resolution, but i imagine with the MK3 it would be a lot easier. for wide shots it is a little challenging, but still possible, and for medium to close ups i can have confidence the shot is in focus.
as for size, i don't think it is too small. in fact, i think i wouldn't want a bigger monitor, especially when using outside the studio.
i have also used it to view footage with HDMI out of a HV30. My gal said 'WOW'. also used it XHA1 component out, and i said 'wow, how did i ever use this puny little XHA1 rinky dink tonka toy LCD??????'. but that's another story....
anyway, DP6= great monitor IMHO.
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #15
Major Player

something to consider! I bought the dp6 through this sale awhile ago and absolutely love the monitor!!!
I still don't know and can't see anything that would make it a b stock item so to me it's perfect.

SmallHD DP6-SLR B-Stock Blowout SALE
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD