aperture - shutter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Major Player

aperture - shutter

Would you say that increasing the shutter speed with a low aperture gives a crisper image then if you were to increase the aperture?

The 5DMK3 and a 24-70mm just is not giving me video quality anything like I see online when watching it back in full HD.

first few scenes are amazing quality
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: aperture - shutter

Tariq.
Always adjust aperture, leave the shutter speed at 50. Getting the exposure spot on is the thing that gets you outstanding shots. Dont forget, the 5d Mk3 outputs a fairly soft image. Its the one thing that stopped me buying one. I wasnt going to spend 3k on a camera body, then have to sharpen every clip in post, way to much work, that you should not have to be doing. I very occasionaly use a shutter speed of 25 to gain a stop in low light, its fine when there is little movement in the shot, or up to 100, very rarely, to cope with very bright midday sun. but generally stick to 50, nail the exposure and your shots will be just like the ones you see every day on Vimeo/Youtube etc
Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Somebody had a cellphone near the camera. You can hear it's electronic signature at 00:41
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I find the 24-70mm F/2.8L rather soft as compared to the 24-105mm F/4L as I told you when you were asking for advice on which to buy. Having said that the 24-70mm is still a good lens. No lens is at it's sharpest wide open so often around F/8 is the sweet spot. It's also easier to get the focus bang on if you don't have the aperture wide open & thus very shallow depth of focus. I like to use Quick AF to nail focus before I start shooting as it is quicker faster & more accurate than me doing it by eye using the 5X/10X magnify function. Quick AF flips the mirror down hits focus like when taking stills then flips the mirror back. It is not the default so you need to change it in the menus.

Always use 1/50 unless there is a very good reason not to e.g. a lower speed if light is really low (not a problem with 5D3) or 1/100 for 50fps & subsequent use for slow motion.

The 5D3 image is no softer than the 5D2 probably better if anything but does really zing if you add sharpening in post which was always problematic with the 5D2 because of aliasing & moire.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #5
Trustee

"...the 24-70mm F/2.8L rather soft as compared to the 24-105mm F/4L..."

I would have to completely disagree with that statement. At the same apertures, both have equal sharpness. The 24-70 L is definitely not a soft wide zoom lens compared to the 24-105 L!
At f/2.8 it is of course softer than it is at f/4, but that can be said of almost any lens. But that is not in the equation, because the 24-105mm cannot open the aperture blades to f/2.8 and remains in dark oblivion at f/4.

So in sharpness terms, at equal zoom setting and apertures, both have equal sharpness. There is so little to seperate them that it is not worth worrying about in the real world.

Other points about each lens are more important.

The 24-105mm has vignetting wide open (f/4) at all zoom settings, but especially severe at 24mm.

The 24-70mm is far superior with less vignetting at f/4.

The f/2.8 aperture not only is better for photographing/filming in lower light levels, but it also provides a much brighter viewfinder.

The big advantages of the 24-105mm is the extra mm at the telephoto end, and the IS.

The big advantages of the 24-70mm is the f/2.8 aperture and better build quality, plus less vignetting.

So in reality, when both lenses are set at equal aperture stop and zoom position bayoneted to a Canon 5D Mark III body, the actual 'sharpness' in his choice of lens are not important factors to his 'softness' problems in video mode.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD