Canon Mk3 - Canon admits exposure error in low-light with illuminated LCD panel. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 24th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #16
New Boot

Re: Canon Mk3 - Canon admits exposure error in low-light with illuminated LCD panel.

I was reading about this but I don't think it's a major concern. When other camera bodies were tested, they have a similiar issue, even the 5d ii. I think it's just a major over-reaction by some.

Last edited by Jonathan Teng; April 24th, 2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: error
Jonathan Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #17
Major Player

Re: Canon Mk3 - Canon admits exposure error in low-light with illuminated LCD panel.

I think this "problem" is redicules... Sure, I have not taken that manny photos in extremely low light, but the ones I done is not in an automode. I would use M and put the numbers I'll would like to use.
And I don't think I have ever turned the back light on, on any of my DSLR I use/used.

Maybe the camera is so light sensitive that the light that comes from the LCD panel at the top go though the Lens (not in the camera) and is enough to expose the shot ;) match tha Nikon :P
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 04:54 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Re: Canon 5Mk3 - White Dot on Fixed Bodies.

After suspending shipping of the 5DMkIII for a short while it seems 5DMkIII bodies are once again beginning to ship with this issue now fixed. According to this official Canon China webpage, and the translations I've read on some photography forums, all the fixed 5DMkIIIs bodies (or is it just inpected and tested ones?) will be shipping with a white dot on the inside of the card door, see the picture in the link below.

[Don't worry, it is a genuine Canon China link, just the characters show as a row of ???? on this forum]

??????
Old April 30th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #19
Regular Crew

My camera is in the affected range, but I don't think I will do anything about it either. Seems like an over-reaction to me as well.
Sam Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Sam, but imo your cams resale value will drop way down if you could sell it at all .. if you don't get it fixed by Canon.

Cheers.
Old April 30th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Potentially higher resale value is the only reason that I would get mine fixed too. It's why I always keep the box & other bits & pieces too.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:48 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Yeah, I never quite understood what the big deal was over all this. I admit that I use my DSLRs more for video than I do photography, but I have shot a decent amount of low light photographer including night time lapses. The only time I have ever used an auto mode was if I wanted to do a timelapse of a sunrise or sunset. Even then, I would never have the backlight on or LCD. For the life of me, I have yet to understand when this would be a problem.
Brad Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:00 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Yes, but having someone take your camera apart to apply a fix is not a risk free affair. I've seen enough service tech work to know that often they don't give a damn about your camera, and a stripped screw or two, or a misaligned panel or two would not really matter much.

Say you get an extra rattle after they reassemble the camera? Or the seams now have uneven gaps? That's not really a risk I'm willing to take for something that doesn't affect my functionality.
Sam Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:51 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Here's a link from a non-rumor site...

LensRentals.com - The Fix is In
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I'm asking Frankie at Canon UK if they're going to do the same thing over here.

Not that I'm bothered personally, but I can see the point of it downscaling the resale value if the mod isn't done.
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #26
Regular Crew

UK announcement by Canon on this issue here:

EOS 5D Mark III
Old May 10th, 2012, 05:42 AM   #27
Regular Crew

I haven't had any problem in low light.
Shot for several hours last Saturday night.

SuperMoon w/ 5DMk3:
SuperMoon 5.5.2012 - Tampa, FL - a set on Flickr
Jon Wolding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD