DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   New Member -- Some of my 5D Mark III Films (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/507358-new-member-some-my-5d-mark-iii-films.html)

Sam Pat April 28th, 2012 04:25 PM

New Member -- Some of my 5D Mark III Films

Hi DVInfo!

Been a lurker for some time and after some extended wait with my registration I'm happy to finally be able to contribute and ask questions.

I got my Mark III the day it was released. Here are some films I recently put together. The camera is awesome and my Mark II -- while still very capable -- has been demoted to B cam status.

The first is a portrait film I put together for my motorcycle racing buddy. This film has a lot of fast moving action, and is a bit of a rolling shutter torture test. It's not hugely improved from the Mark II, but I have no complaints as it never really is a problem.

The second is an interview I put together. This is interesting because the 2nd angle comes from the Mark II. It demonstrates that the two cameras using identical picture profiles (Faithful) works very well together. The Mark III does have a huge advantage in the new i-frame codec which I'm finding it to be an enormous timer saver compared to the Mark II due to not having to transcode before editing.

Thanks for watching my humble films! After sitting in that moderation queue, being able to post is just a huge privilege. I'm a total newbie to doing this and really looking forward to getting help from you guys. I was referred here by Erik Andersen of this board and he's a bit of a hero whom I look up to.

Charles Newcomb April 28th, 2012 05:10 PM

Re: New Member -- Some of my 5D Mark III Films

The great thing about these new cameras is they do so well with available light. The bad thing about them is they do so well with available light, and no one seems to be interested in the art of lighting anymore.

Personally, I'd have lit the subject of the interview... even with available light doing fine. He doesn't.. pop out, from the room. He's just part of the room.

But what do I know? I'm old.

Tony Davies-Patrick April 28th, 2012 06:15 PM

Not just old, Charles...because with age, often comes wisdom.

Sam Pat April 28th, 2012 06:51 PM

I'm new to lighting and have never used lights before, but I agree with you that the interview would've been a lot better if lit.

Do you have some recommendations on where to start with lights without crippling my budget?

Chris Hurd April 28th, 2012 08:04 PM

Apologies for the wait, Sam -- thanks for your patience, and for sharing your work here... much appreciated!

Sam Pat April 29th, 2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1730179)
Apologies for the wait, Sam -- thanks for your patience, and for sharing your work here... much appreciated!

Thank you for fixing the registration and for the warm welcome, Chris!

Tony Davies-Patrick April 30th, 2012 12:06 AM

Yes, welcome aboard the ship, Sam! :)

Neil Macdonald May 5th, 2012 02:03 PM

I found this useful, you might too.

Sam Pat May 9th, 2012 01:08 AM

Thank you Neil, that was very helpful!

Another motorcycle film I just put together: