Annoying software glitch in 5D mark III (Manual lens / liveview) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 1st, 2012, 01:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Annoying software glitch in 5D mark III (Manual lens / liveview)

I discovered an annoying software glitch in live view mode when using a manual lens (non-Canon) on the 5D mark III.

On the mark II, it wasn't there. Attach one of my Zeiss or Nikon primes, press set, mirror flips up and instantly into view on the rear LCD.

With the mark III, however, it's incredibly frustrating once the power save kicks in. The mirror flips back down as it jumps back out of live view mode, LCD goes black of course... But then try pressing the start/stop again after a power save interruption. Although the camera does go back into live view mode, the black screen is replaced with the message, 'Ensure a lens is attached...etc. ' - It never did this on the mark II.

The only way to get the live view picture back, after a power save cut out and with a manual lens attached, is to press one of the function keys to go into a menu, then back out again. Never did this on the mark II. I would say it's definitely a glitch... and an annoying one at that. Initially, before I discovered the pressing a function key trick, I would have to switch the camera off and then back on again, or take a photo in live view mode by pressing the shutter.

Of course if you're using a Canon lens, that doesn't happen. The live view comes back onto screen instantly.

The new Canon 5D mark III. Live view... when it feels like it (and only if you have a Canon lens attached)
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Annoying software glitch in 5D mark III (Manual lens / liveview)

I guess no one else has noticed this or uses non-Canon/manual lenses on this camera? I feel alone with my little problem! I suppose looking at it, it may seem insignificant enough, but it is a glitch non-the-less.
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Kris, I migrated from the 7D to the 5D3, and the 7D is exactly the same with this annoyance. So I never knew the 5D2 was so much easier to operate with vintage lenses.

I will make the clarification to your statement, though. Live view works normally on non-Canon EF mount lenses like Tokina,Tamron, Sigma, etc. as long as they have the electrical contacts on the lens.

Not to be an apologist for this "feature", but it also prevents unintentionally flipping up the mirror, exposing the sensor to contaminants, and running the battery down when a lens is not attached.
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
Not to be an apologist for this "feature", but it also prevents unintentionally flipping up the mirror, exposing the sensor to contaminants, and running the battery down when a lens is not attached.
Ah ha! So it is included intentionally one would guess. I guess we got lucky with the 5D2. It seemed to escape that annoyance.

I love the old Nikkor glass, my 50mm f1.2 is out all the time on my 5D3 as it was on the 5D2, as well as the Zeiss 35 - really gives a different look to what others are doing. I suppose it all has to come at a price!

Thanks for replying, Brian, and thanks for clarifying - I'd guessed it had a lot to do with the electrical contacts.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD