DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   So has anyone tried the new Canon 24 and 28mm primes? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/507461-so-has-anyone-tried-new-canon-24-28mm-primes.html)

Federico Perale May 1st, 2012 05:15 PM

So has anyone tried the new Canon 24 and 28mm primes?

The stabilised ones...

They are horrendously expensive but look interesting

Fed

Sam Pat May 2nd, 2012 06:10 PM

Re: So has anyone tried the new Canon 24 and 28mm primes?

Why does anyone need IS on a 24mm wide angle lens? Am I missing something?

Perhaps it will be useful on the steadicam...

Jon Fairhurst May 2nd, 2012 10:46 PM

It's more useful on the un-steadicam - the WiggleCam™

Yeah, it's weird. Everybody expected IS on the 24-70. It didn't happen, even though a 3rd party has delivered such a lens. Nobody was asking for a wide prime with f/2.8 speed and IS for $800+, but that's what we got.

The only place where it seems useful is for stills inside of cathedrals that don't allow tripods or flash. When up close to an item, you don't necessarily want the shallow DOF of an f/1.4 aperture, so you need to stop down to f/2.8 or tighter. Nothing is moving, so you can drag the shutter to 1/5th of a second or so to get the shot.

Seems like a pretty narrow use case though!

Les Wilson May 3rd, 2012 04:44 AM

You are thinking in photographic terms why would you take stills with a dslr? <sarcasm>

If you think about it not for stills but for video, the IS is useful for handheld shooting.

Guest May 3rd, 2012 06:27 AM

I am wondering if any end user has seen them. I don't think they have started to ship yet. If I get my hands on them I am wondering what tests people would like to see. Probably handheld with stabilization turned on.

Texas Media Systems on Vimeo

Evan Donn May 3rd, 2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1731174)
Seems like a pretty narrow use case though!

It may be, but considering the largest market for canon lenses is still photography my guess is that this is what these lenses are intended for. Even for video though I see a use for them, primarily on APS-C sensor cameras... like the C300 maybe? On cameras like that both these lenses fall into the 'normal' field of view and are certainly long enough to benefit from IS when shooting handheld.

Federico Perale May 4th, 2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1731174)
a 3rd party has delivered such a lens.

the Tamron 24-70 vc
has anyone tried that?