5D3, SmallHD DP6/DP4 compatability at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 10th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

5D3, SmallHD DP6/DP4 compatability

After returning the DP4 EVF (VF attachment too big and heavy IMO, monitor itself is nice) I picked up the DP6 and I really love it. Right away, however, I've run into an issue that must be resolved:

As with the 5D2, the HDMI signal has borders around it, so that video appearing in the monitor doesn't use the entire screen. SmallHD now includes presets to enlarge the HDMI signal so it fits the whole screen, but unfortunately the overlaid info (when on) is slightly cutoff. Here is a sample from SmallHD (DP4, but the same phenomenon I'm concerned with here): Canon 5D Mark III and the SmallHD DP4 - YouTube

I can deal with info being cutoff, I suppose, except that the histogram is cut off at the highlights! I like my histogram, damn it! I've got two solutions:

To make the histogram fully visible, you can create a custom preset based on the 16X10 scale.
[Advanced>Scale>16:10]. In [Advanced>CustomScale] I then set the following parameters: HStart: 650, Hsize: 670, Vstart: 510, Vsize: 478. With these settings, the info is no longer cut off on the right side, bringing the histogram into full view, but at the expense of losing a perfectly full-screen video image.

The other solution is to just deal with it, use the false color feature of the monitor to check your highlights, and roll on.
Andrew Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: 5D3, SmallHD DP6/DP4 compatability

I'm using the same set up (5D3 / DP6) and I am Ok with the 5D2 preset of slight cutoff. I think you can use the top wheel to roll back and forth between the cropped 5D2 preset and the uncropped full view, no?

That way when you need the histogram, you can roll it back and see it all, and if you need to 'zoom in', you can roll the wheel again to the cropped 5D2 preset.

Thanks for sharing your settings. I don't think you can get both of what you want (full view AND fully visible histogram) so you'll just have to live with the compromise.

With other cameras like the GH2 you can actually reposition the histogram.
Sam Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 06:21 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi Guys,
I think Sam has the right idea here. Your best bet is to use 2 presets. I would say set preset one to your custom preset where you can see the histogram then quickly swap between that preset and the Canon preset once you have checked histogram.
Dave
SmallHD Support
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

How is the DP6 for focusing on the 5D3? I've heard lots of complaints about the compressed 720 output, but it seems to be mostly from people who want to monitor on larger screens, or need full 1080 for external recording. My main concern is being able to focus clearly.
Matt Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lawrence View Post
How is the DP6 for focusing on the 5D3? I've heard lots of complaints about the compressed 720 output, but it seems to be mostly from people who want to monitor on larger screens, or need full 1080 for external recording. My main concern is being able to focus clearly.
It's a breeze. I don't think this is a concern at all, especially with the peaking tools that come with the DP6.
Sam Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Good to know Sam. Focusing with the 5D3 was my only reservation with what looks to be a great little monitor.
Matt Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #7
Major Player

Should I get the DP4 or DP6 monitor? DP6 is better resoution so better right?

I need it for pulling focus on my Canon 5Diii

Thanks!
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #8
Major Player

The DP6 is better for pulling focus when used as a monitor.
The DP4 is better used as an EVF.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD