DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   All-I vs. IPB (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/507826-all-i-vs-ipb.html)

Markus Nord May 16th, 2012 03:04 AM

All-I vs. IPB

Hello...

Whats the latest about this... is All-I just better for native editing or is the images better too?

Nigel Barker May 16th, 2012 03:26 AM

Re: All-I vs. IPB

The image doesn't look any better. It just fills up the cards 3x as fast.

Markus Nord May 16th, 2012 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1733537)
The image doesn't look any better. It just fills up the cards 3x as fast.

so it's not more information for CC/CG... it's still 4:2:0, but I hoped it would have a bit more info/frame.

John Carroll May 16th, 2012 08:56 AM

Sorry I don't have a link to share for reference, but seems like I recall seeing where All-I performed better in low light/hi ISO situations showing less noise than IPB.

If I stumble across the comparison I'll come back and post a link.

Sam Pat May 16th, 2012 12:35 PM

It fills up the card faster but it is so much nicer to edit natively. I think the benefit to workflow far outweigh the added space.

Markus Nord May 16th, 2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Carroll (Post 1733579)
Sorry I don't have a link to share for reference, but seems like I recall seeing where All-I performed better in low light/hi ISO situations showing less noise than IPB.

If I stumble across the comparison I'll come back and post a link.

I found a link too with the result that All-I is better in high ISO.
My NLE is Edius and the All-I works really nice... how is it in FCP7 (some of my clients still use it)?

Sam Pat May 16th, 2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus Nord (Post 1733627)
I found a link too with the result that All-I is better in high ISO.
My NLE is Edius and the All-I works really nice... how is it in FCP7 (some of my clients still use it)?

Flawless in FCP7.

Nigel Barker May 17th, 2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Pat (Post 1733620)
It fills up the card faster but it is so much nicer to edit natively. I think the benefit to workflow far outweigh the added space.

It depends on your NLE whether it benefits your workflow or not. Premiere Pro edits native IPB files fine just as it did with 5D2 .MOV files. If you are using FCP7 then using All-I may avoid the need to transcode to ProRes.

Guest May 21st, 2012 10:37 AM

I am missing the reference but it was once claimed that Canons use the most simple compression known to man. There are, say, 15 kinds and they use the worst. Now, it seems, there is a new form of compression that should be delightfully better. Right?